Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alberta Driving License

Alberta Driving License

Old Apr 8th 2007, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

TRAX123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alberta Driving License

Hi, I keep hearing conflicting information about exchanging a UK driving license in Alberta. The links on this site are great, but I am still left wondering if we have to resit a test if we go there or if we can merely exchange the license?

Many thanks
Tracey and Mark
Old Apr 8th 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta Driving License

Hi,

You have up to 90 days to do a straight swap - you do have to do an sight test, that's all.

Hope this helps,

Arris
Old Apr 8th 2007, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

HI Arris, many many thanks its much appreciated. A straight swap suits me better.

All the best
Tracey
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRAX123
HI Arris, many many thanks its much appreciated. A straight swap suits me better.

All the best
Tracey
Tracey

5 mminute job when Hubby did his

Gaynor
x
Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:35 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TRAX123
Hi, I keep hearing conflicting information about exchanging a UK driving license in Alberta. The links on this site are great, but I am still left wondering if we have to resit a test if we go there or if we can merely exchange the license?

Many thanks
Tracey and Mark
There's a page in the BE Wiki on just this topic.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Alberta_-_Driving_licence

Last edited by Steve_P; Apr 9th 2007 at 3:00 am.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

Hi
Yeah you have 90 days on your UK license and you just go to one of the local Alberta Registry agents and do a straight swop. Like said before you just do a simple eye test, they take your photo, give you a temp paper one and then your license comes in the post a couple of weeks later.
My husband is on a years work permit and I am on a years visitors visa, I had heard off a couple people when I got here that as I was on a visitors visa I may have a prob swapping as another couple we know his wife was unable to, but I had no problems.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Thank you to all those who have posted. The info is much appreciated.
Cheers
Tracey and Mark
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sarahad
Hi
Yeah you have 90 days on your UK license and you just go to one of the local Alberta Registry agents and do a straight swop. Like said before you just do a simple eye test, they take your photo, give you a temp paper one and then your license comes in the post a couple of weeks later.
My husband is on a years work permit and I am on a years visitors visa, I had heard off a couple people when I got here that as I was on a visitors visa I may have a prob swapping as another couple we know his wife was unable to, but I had no problems.
What exactly did you show them as proof "that you live in Alberta and have a residence [t]here" (as per http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/...documents.html)
Your house/condo lease? a bank statement? or what?
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:42 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
What exactly did you show them as proof "that you live in Alberta and have a residence [t]here" (as per http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/...documents.html)
We just took our passports with our WP/vistor visa. We also had to provide our marriage cert to prove that we were married (even though we have the same name in our passports and hubby's visitor visa states that he is residing in Canada with his wife *my name* who is on a WP):curse:
Think we also showed them a utility bill for proof of our canadian address!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

Hi we took passports, marriage cert, permits, and 2 utility bills.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sarahad
Hi we took passports, marriage cert, permits, and 2 utility bills.
Marriage cert? Why on earth would they want marriage certs for? But then, they put your weight (for heaven's sake!) on your driving license...
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:17 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage cert? Why on earth would they want marriage certs for? But then, they put your weight (for heaven's sake!) on your driving license...
My OH was horrified that on the back of his drivers licence it says " Hair - grey" (he is going grey but at the moment would consider himself to be greying at the most!) needless to say I was supportive & laughed my head off!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:33 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise033
My OH was horrified that on the back of his drivers licence it says " Hair - grey" (he is going grey but at the moment would consider himself to be greying at the most!) needless to say I was supportive & laughed my head off!
I guess he could consider himself lucky that the debate was about whether he was grey or greying rather than bald or balding.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:36 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I guess he could consider himself lucky that the debate was about whether he was grey or greying rather than bald or balding.
What's wrong with bald or balding?

Nothing that's what.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:47 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
What's wrong with bald or balding?

Nothing that's what.
'Its not a bald patch its solar power for a love machine.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.