Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

alberta driving

alberta driving

Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:18 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: alberta driving

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
They put you in a straight jacket

(WHY would you want to leave AB for BC)

For some reason they have something called mountains there

beyond me?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Quick tip: Before you leave the UK, report your UK license lost and get a replacement issued.

When you get your Alberta license use your old UK license as they will take it away.

Then you will still have a shiny UK license to use outside of Canada.

(It still bugs me that they confiscate your UK license )
Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

beyond me?
What there are no mountains in AB??
Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:23 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

beyond me?
Originally Posted by Ramsey
Well I'm sure it was mountains I skied on this last winter
Old Jun 19th 2009, 5:03 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm sure it was mountains I skied on this last winter
Nah, they are just big piles of rocks.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 5:14 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danniek
It is not a dispute. I am sorry you feel that way. The licence is valid for 5 years, correct. However, they make it so that you have to take a new photo after 4, so that when you expire at 5, it is mandatory.
I'm puzzled about this one as my husband has had his licence for 4 years, he has just had it reclassified and he was ASKED if he wanted to have his picture retaken or if he wanted to keep the one he has.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

davidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant future

Ok, I'm from northern ireland, have a uk driving licence issued by dvlni, so that means i have to take the tests then i take it?? including the theory and the road test then?? we're in the uk but because the licence is issued by dvlni it makes a big difference eh!!?

damn...

If your licence is from the DVLNI, you are not part of the reciprocal agreement. You will have to take the exams to obtain your licence. The books that are posted above are what you will have to study to get the licence.

Upon arrival, you are able to drive with your foreign licence for 90 days.

Last edited by davidshan; Jun 19th 2009 at 5:36 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 5:49 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Yup we got the best bits too

But apparently people on here say they want to move to BC in part for the mountains must mean the Albertan side of the Rockies are a little less mountainous hey!!!
Old Jun 19th 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidshan
Ok, I'm from northern ireland, have a uk driving licence issued by dvlni, so that means i have to take the tests then i take it?? including the theory and the road test then?? we're in the uk but because the licence is issued by dvlni it makes a big difference eh!!?

damn...
Damn indeed. I think most of us were assuming you were on the mainland. It has always seemed a strange distinction to us.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

danniek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I'm puzzled about this one as my husband has had his licence for 4 years, he has just had it reclassified and he was ASKED if he wanted to have his picture retaken or if he wanted to keep the one he has.
He may have been just under the 4 year term, or perhaps he had a photo taken within the last 4 years if he moved addresses.

If you get him to call the registry, they can certainly tell him when the last photo was taken
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

danniek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by davidshan

damn...
Yes, it does I am sorry to say. If the licence has DVLNI on it, you are not part of the reciprocal agreement. So, you will be required to go to the registry and sit the exam, hand in the DVLNI licence for approval of GDL exemption, get a learners licence and do an advanced road test.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Then you will still have a shiny UK license to use outside of Canada.
Which helps in what way?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:27 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it does I am sorry to say. If the licence has DVLNI on it, you are not part of the reciprocal agreement. So, you will be required to go to the registry and sit the exam, hand in the DVLNI licence for approval of GDL exemption, get a learners licence and do an advanced road test.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Ok, I have to ask (no offence intended in any way) but how are you such an 'expert' on the rules re driving licences
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I have to ask (no offence intended in any way) but how are you such an 'expert' on the rules re driving licences
I thought she worked in a Registry
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I thought she worked in a Registry
AH the infamous a little knowledge etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.