Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alberta, Banff Springs

Alberta, Banff Springs

Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:44 am
Just Joined

fredie_stax is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Alberta, Banff Springs

Hi all, I have few questions, i have been selected as a chef in a reputed hotel in Banff Spring, I want to know how is the place and how is the Banff town, it will be great if some who stays or knows about the town could answer this ...,

Also my hotel has applied for the LMO in august, i want to know how long will it take for the LMO to come, and as a chef will i get a positive reply or not.
In Uk the taxes are heavy, i will be getting 17/hr and 40 hrs a week in Canada, well any idea how much will be the tax on this payment.
I will be glad if atleast some of my questions will be answered.
Thank you all.
Regards
Fredie.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 2:59 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta, Banff Springs

Cannot speak from the point of view of the staff, but the Banff Springs is a fabulous hotel.

Banff is in a beautiful setting in the mountains. There are many outdoor activities in the area -- hiking in winter, skiing in summer, and plenty of others.

There are cultural activities as well, at The Banff Centre.

Banff Life and YWCA Banff are two good websites for finding out about working in Banff, securing accommodation, etc.

Banff's base population (not counting tourists) is about 7,500. But, with tourists, it is many times that.

Several people who work in Banff live in Canmore, which is just outside of the national park boundaries, which is about 15 minutes' drive from Banff, and which has a population of about 10,000 (although my numbers may be out of date, as Canmore is growing).

The challenge for workers in Banff is that accommodation in Banff townsite and Canmore are expensive.

Some hotels provide dormitory accommodation for their staff. That is the case at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, since Lake Louise is a small hamlet with no private housing. But I don't know what the situation is at Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel.

I believe there is a very good chance that your LMO will come through. Chefs are on the list of Occupations under Pressure in Alberta. Unfortunately, though, the LMOs of some BE forum members heading to Alberta this year have taken 20+ weeks to be granted.

The BE Wiki has an article on Taxation. You can use the Canadian Tax Calculator on the Taxtips.ca website to see how much you'll pay in federal and provincial income tax.

Fredie, the Meet and Greet forum isn't really the place to ask specific questions. The Canadian Immigration forum is the best place to ask questions about LMOs.

The main Canada forum is the best place to ask about life in Banff. It would be useful if you read Tips on getting the most out of the forums.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Londonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really nice

By the way - Banff is the party capitol of Alberta - if you are young and don't need much sleep this is the place to be - sadly being neither young and needing much sleep I do not speak from experience - just from what my friends here have told me. It has much to do with the multitudes of young Aussies who work in the ski resorts who are known for their party spirit. At least we know who to complain to when we dine at the hotel!! Just pulling your leg - I am sure you are a great chef.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Hi Fredie,
I used to work at the sister hotel of the Banff Springs (Lake Louise) and I can confidently say that the company that own it - Fairmont (or CP as it was known when I was there) - are great!
Don't get me wrong, it was bloody hard work but I made tons of friends and saw a wonderful part of the world while being there.

My advise is grab it with both hands and enjoy it!

By the way Banff itself is a great place (a lot of tourists mind) but there are good pubs, restaurants and plenty of skiing and activities to do.

Good luck and have fun.

Originally Posted by fredie_stax
Hi all, I have few questions, i have been selected as a chef in a reputed hotel in Banff Spring, I want to know how is the place and how is the Banff town, it will be great if some who stays or knows about the town could answer this ...,
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:17 am
Just Joined

fredie_stax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Cannot speak from the point of view of the staff, but the Banff Springs is a fabulous hotel.

Banff is in a beautiful setting in the mountains. There are many outdoor activities in the area -- hiking in winter, skiing in summer, and plenty of others.

There are cultural activities as well, at The Banff Centre.

Banff Life and YWCA Banff are two good websites for finding out about working in Banff, securing accommodation, etc.

Banff's base population (not counting tourists) is about 7,500. But, with tourists, it is many times that.

Several people who work in Banff live in Canmore, which is just outside of the national park boundaries, which is about 15 minutes' drive from Banff, and which has a population of about 10,000 (although my numbers may be out of date, as Canmore is growing).

The challenge for workers in Banff is that accommodation in Banff townsite and Canmore are expensive.

Some hotels provide dormitory accommodation for their staff. That is the case at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, since Lake Louise is a small hamlet with no private housing. But I don't know what the situation is at Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel.

I believe there is a very good chance that your LMO will come through. Chefs are on the list of Occupations under Pressure in Alberta. Unfortunately, though, the LMOs of some BE forum members heading to Alberta this year have taken 20+ weeks to be granted.

The BE Wiki has an article on Taxation. You can use the Canadian Tax Calculator on the Taxtips.ca website to see how much you'll pay in federal and provincial income tax.

Fredie, the Meet and Greet forum isn't really the place to ask specific questions. The Canadian Immigration forum is the best place to ask questions about LMOs.

The main Canada forum is the best place to ask about life in Banff. It would be useful if you read Tips on getting the most out of the forums.

Hope that helps.
thanks vey much judy for your kind reply