Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New to Nova Scotia

New to Nova Scotia

Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all
Default New to Nova Scotia

Hi, my family and I have been in NS now for 2 months. My Husband is happy at work, my eldest is happy at school, the middle is happy with pre-school and I'm a little homesick stuck at home with no.3. Has anyone got any advice regarding 'settling'. I am loving Canada, but am missing Norfolk!! It would be great to hear from anyone in the same position or who has been!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future
Default Re: New to Nova Scotia

Hi,

Sounds familiar, we've been here since the 22nd October and whilst I am getting settled in at work, my partner and the kids arent settling so quickly.

We live in Hubbards so there isnt much locally in terms of amenities that are easy to get to within walking distance.

From our point of view it will be easier to settle once my OH learns to drive.

Where abouts in NS are you?
Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

Hi, we're in Cole Harbour. Both my husband and I drive, but I'm pretty much tied to the house because of the childrens' school schedules - very different to the UK!! They come and go at such different times that I can't really go too far unless I wait until they're all home and then go out - tends to mess dinner times up though!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

There is a meet up going on in Halifax soon http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491296 Perhaps you could get together with one or 2 expats and discuss what they did when they first got there.

I am hoping to come out next summer and am planning to live out along the Eastern Shore (Porters Lake/Musquodobit area), so I may be asking you for ideas by then.

Lynn
Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the link - might tag along to that one!! If I can be of any help to you at all - information wise or forwarding info from around here, just let me know and I'll do what I can!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 6:32 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

The Cole Harbour branch of the Halifax Public Library has a program called Preschoool Family Drop-in:
Babies and toddlers can play with books and toys, older preschoolers can enjoy playdough, stamping, puzzles, simple crafts and other surprises. A storytime on the big quilts will round out this informal family fun time.
When my kids were preschoolers, they and I participated in a play group called Observation Nursery. It's since been renamed Parents and Children Together (PACT). A Google search brings up the website of PACT in Dartmouth. Google Maps tells me that's a 20-minute drive for you, and besides that it may be worth enquiring if there is a PACT group in Cole Harbour.

I've never been to Nova Scotia, so what I've found comes from Google.

Still, I hope it helps.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

snooze71 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi sockdogg

just read this thread about your OH not driving. Just a thought, but we're happy to be a taxi service for her if she wants to come to the meet up on the 27th but can't get there (i'm presuming you're working and so won't be able to pick her up).
PM us if we can help.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

Thats a very kind offer, but if she does come I'll probably bring her into Halifax when I come to work in the morning as we've got 2 kids too.

I'll try to find them something in the city to do till the meet at lunch time.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 4:15 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Emmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud of

Hi Nicola and your OH

I think i met you back in September at June and Mark's - Mumford B&B. Sorry meant to get in contact earlier but lost your e-mail address. I got in touch with the immigration lawyer you recommended but he would not take me on so am still attempting via federal route. I am also still applying for jobs in the hopes of getting there sooner but no luck so far!

I am glad to hear you are settling in and your new job is okay. I hope things will get better with the transport etc, it sounds like there are a lot of people on this website that can help and they sound nice. Good luck

Emmjay (from near York)