Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

albera income tax

albera income tax

Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:46 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: albera income tax

Originally Posted by Editha
Agreed, but it isn't compulsory.

One way in which Canada's taxation is different to the UK's, is that there is still joint taxation for couples, and the higher earner can use the lower earner's allowances. I'm retired, but I've put off claiming all my pension entitlements and put my savings into long term investments, so that my income is kept low. This reduces my husband's income tax by about $1,800 p.a.

Even so, I still don't have to file a return to get the rebate for my husband. He can just put the figures for my unused allowances on his return. However, I choose to do so. I have to work out my tax liability in order to work out my husband's, so I might as well send them the forms.
However if you want to receive certain benefits (not allowances), you only get them if you file a tax return. Such as CCTB & HST/GST rebates (for low earners).
Old Oct 13th 2011, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Editha
Agreed, but it isn't compulsory.

One way in which Canada's taxation is different to the UK's, is that there is still joint taxation for couples, and the higher earner can use the lower earner's allowances. I'm retired, but I've put off claiming all my pension entitlements and put my savings into long term investments, so that my income is kept low. This reduces my husband's income tax by about $1,800 p.a.

Even so, I still don't have to file a return to get the rebate for my husband. He can just put the figures for my unused allowances on his return. However, I choose to do so. I have to work out my tax liability in order to work out my husband's, so I might as well send them the forms.
Do you know if there is some sort of calculator where you can determine this amount of tax savings? Or do you just have to go through the process of filling out the tax forms with and without the allowances?

The reason I'm asking is because I am contemplating returning to the working world, in a very part time way, and I was just wondering if it is worth it from financial perspective.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:22 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgroe
Do you know if there is some sort of calculator where you can determine this amount of tax savings? Or do you just have to go through the process of filling out the tax forms with and without the allowances?

The reason I'm asking is because I am contemplating returning to the working world, in a very part time way, and I was just wondering if it is worth it from financial perspective.
You will be better off. He will lose the transferred tax credit but you will have more after-tax income. I.e. he is losing 25 (15 fed and 10 prov) cents for every one dollar of your gross income.

For an example I tested a couple where one earned $75,000 and the other nothing. The $75,000 earner pays $16,632 in tax, EI and CPP and gets to keep $58,368. If the OH gets a job that pays $15,000 the $75k earner's take home pay drops to $55,289 and the $15k earner keeps $13,778. They are $10,699 better off.

I can't think of any circumstances where they would be worse off.

Try http://www.taxtips.ca/calculators/taxcalculator.htm. It look a bit intimidating getting started but easy enough to do lots of what ifs once you get the hang of it.

Last edited by JonboyE; Oct 13th 2011 at 11:24 am.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Thanks for the information. I guess I will start looking for a job now
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:38 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree that you are always going to be better off working, in terms of take home pay.

However, my husband earns enough to have a marginal rate of tax of 36%. I can imagine, that if I took a low paid part-time job, and then took into account the cost of working -- clothing, fares, having to buy more pre-prepared meals - and so on, the cost of working could outweigh the benefit.

However, since I'm retired, I've not had to do that calculation.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think either way I will go back to work just for my sanity.

I have been at home with my children for a number of years but they are older now and a lot less work. I just don't know what to do with myself all day.

I will be taking some courses in computerized bookkeeping to get myself a bit up to date and then I will see what is out there.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:51 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think either way I will go back to work just for my sanity.
A friend did that. After child care and travel expenses she said she was earning about $0.50 an hour, but it was worth every penny...