Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which airlines take pets?

Which airlines take pets?

Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Which airlines take pets?

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Thats exactly why I the got wife done as well.
Funny you should mention that - when my boss found out yesterday that I had been 'awarded' PNP, she said "I was thinking about this PNP business, and on second thoughts you should have just gotten rabies shots: it worked for the pets - they did not have to go through this lengthy PNP process"!
Old Jan 16th 2007, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Escapea
Also, I wanted to be prepared in case we had/wanted to go back to England, so wanted both pets to have their EU passports, which we got before we left. If you don't have the rabies jab done, then you would have problems if you needed to return (with the pets!) to England.
Isn't Canada in the PETS scheme? You can do it all from here, even for animals originating here afaik.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I will take your word for it.
BUT we were told the same thing around this time last year and it wasnt true when we checked with the airlines (and vet and the Brother-in-Law who works for Defra).
Having said that the rules may have changed since.
we were told by the vets that we would need a defra certificate but when i phoned defra they told me i didnt if i was getting the cat vaccinated for rabies. they said i would need that certificate and the fit to fly letter. This was in August last year and we flew middle september.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Isn't Canada in the PETS scheme? You can do it all from here, even for animals originating here afaik.
Think you can do it all from here, if you have enough time to plan in advance, which means get the rabies jab, then wait a couple of weeks until they can take the blood test, wait for that to come back clear, and then add on 6 months from the date of that test before they'll let the pet back into England.

So you'd need a window of at least 8 months or so to plan all this in advance if you didn't have he rabies jab already done.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Think you can do it all from here, if you have enough time to plan in advance, which means get the rabies jab, then wait a couple of weeks until they can take the blood test, wait for that to come back clear, and then add on 6 months from the date of that test before they'll let the pet back into England.

So you'd need a window of at least 8 months or so to plan all this in advance if you didn't have he rabies jab already done.
Yes but, you can wait until the animal is cleared and has it's pet passport, stick it on a plane and ship it out of the country same day (if the destination country allow that, which canada does) but you can not return the pet to UK before the 6 months from bloodtest limit.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 12:02 pm
Benjy

benjy is an unknown quantity at this point

Is he old? Why would you leave him behind?! It is pretty stressful planning it, and a worry during the flight, but from our experience definately worth it. Our cat (and dog) were both absolutely fine after the flight to Vancouver - they both really settled in quickly (apart from a bit of jetlag - pets don't know about time differences so both expected to be fed on their UK time clock for a while!). We've been here 6 months now, and just moved into our own house here, and our cat, who is 9 next month, has never been more purry or affectionate! He seems to love it here! Good luck with you decision making.
Hi, I've trie to follow all the advice re taking your cat to Canada. I've no intention of leaving my cat ( Benjy 9yrs ) behind, hes one of the family!! If I book with air canada, they refer you to another pet shipping co. Can you not pre book them on the same flight as you and turn up at the airport with him and relevant papers....so in essence see him on and off the plane? Oh, do they fly OK....costs a little irrelevant really but how much would 1 cat be?

Cheers

Julian
Old Mar 18th 2007, 1:20 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benjy
Hi, I've trie to follow all the advice re taking your cat to Canada. I've no intention of leaving my cat ( Benjy 9yrs ) behind, hes one of the family!! If I book with air canada, they refer you to another pet shipping co. Can you not pre book them on the same flight as you and turn up at the airport with him and relevant papers....so in essence see him on and off the plane? Oh, do they fly OK....costs a little irrelevant really but how much would 1 cat be?

Cheers

Julian
I have just booked my cats on Air Transat as excess baggage, cost for 3 cats was $750. Rang defra at Lincoln about export certificate and they said you dont have to have one, but some of the pet travel companies are saying you do, so whether its them or airports insisting on certificate i dont know, so hey butchy babes if your their you was right !!! Just to say i got a certificate just in case.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by benjy

Cheers

Julian
Hi, yes you can book your cat on to your AC flights, basically as excess luggage. Here is the reelvenat AC link:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...gage/pets.html

Good luck to you and him.
I hope to be making that same phone call to AC very soon.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:12 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to revive a thread that stopped months ago, a big faux pas I know but cant be bothered starting a new one on here for the same topic

My British partner has decided he wants to move back to Canada with me next year when my UK visa expires & I can't dream of leaving my precious little silver kitty behind here. We've had her for just over a year and although she's had a few mishaps (discloated her tail which needed amputation, her first spaying/neautering (cant remember which if for which sex LOL!) wasn't done properly (before we got her) and we had to pay for another spaying to be done on her. She's been microchipped & registered with the pet tracking UK database but not had it checked recently by the vets. She has had her normal vacinations but a few months ago suffered a urinary tract infection... all in all, she's a tiny cat with alot of gusto that seems prone to getting herself hurt by her over-confident demeanor *lol*

Just want to know if anyone has had recent experiences bring a pet cat over to Canada (ours is a very small cat so definately below 32KG with cage!) who you went with & how much it cost you all in all (so we can budget)

Just wanted to throw in to this thread that rabies jabs may not be required for pets entrance clearance to Canada but rabies is a very serious problem in Canada & for your own pets safety, you should have them vaccinated before you leave & especially if they are 'outdoor' pets... I lived in Montreal 16 years and have seen about 3 cases of rabies infected wildlife during that time, mostly racoons & squirells... you can tell them from their lack of fear/brazeness towards people & also frothing at the mouth... if you encounter wildlife like that, do not maintain eye contact, watch them in peripheral vision and slowly back away/change direction.. animals with rabies have an un-natural lack of fear of people & will challenge any creature crossing its path with growls (in some cases) and frothing mouth.

Last edited by Daedra; Jun 2nd 2007 at 2:15 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 4:50 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
Sorry to revive a thread that stopped months ago, a big faux pas I know but cant be bothered starting a new one on here for the same topic

My British partner has decided he wants to move back to Canada with me next year when my UK visa expires & I can't dream of leaving my precious little silver kitty behind here. We've had her for just over a year and although she's had a few mishaps (discloated her tail which needed amputation, her first spaying/neautering (cant remember which if for which sex LOL!) wasn't done properly (before we got her) and we had to pay for another spaying to be done on her. She's been microchipped & registered with the pet tracking UK database but not had it checked recently by the vets. She has had her normal vacinations but a few months ago suffered a urinary tract infection... all in all, she's a tiny cat with alot of gusto that seems prone to getting herself hurt by her over-confident demeanor *lol*

Just want to know if anyone has had recent experiences bring a pet cat over to Canada (ours is a very small cat so definately below 32KG with cage!) who you went with & how much it cost you all in all (so we can budget)

Just wanted to throw in to this thread that rabies jabs may not be required for pets entrance clearance to Canada but rabies is a very serious problem in Canada & for your own pets safety, you should have them vaccinated before you leave & especially if they are 'outdoor' pets... I lived in Montreal 16 years and have seen about 3 cases of rabies infected wildlife during that time, mostly racoons & squirells... you can tell them from their lack of fear/brazeness towards people & also frothing at the mouth... if you encounter wildlife like that, do not maintain eye contact, watch them in peripheral vision and slowly back away/change direction.. animals with rabies have an un-natural lack of fear of people & will challenge any creature crossing its path with growls (in some cases) and frothing mouth.
Hi i brought my 3 cats over 4 wks ago, and used air transit which was brill and only cost £125 for each cat. But i understand Air transit has now stopped taking pets as excess baggage. Just before christmas had a quote from jets for pets and they quoted me £600 and something with carriers for 3 cats, which wasn't i thought to bad . When we landed at Vancouver all they where interested in was the rabies certificates, not sure what they would of done had i not of had them. Good Luck and i hope pussy is ok
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

My cat will be coming on my flight next month as excess baggage with Air Canada, for about £120.

Good luck to you.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 1:49 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Wow thats much more like it! £120 for a cat is very fair.. we already have an 'airline' standard cage for her but she's only a wee cat (stunted growth from getting impregnated when she was still a kitten).. I realise there will be vet fees for rabbies jabs but do they charge ££ for these 'fit to fly' certificates as a rule or is it nominal or free?
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 4:59 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Daedra
Wow thats much more like it! £120 for a cat is very fair.. we already have an 'airline' standard cage for her but she's only a wee cat (stunted growth from getting impregnated when she was still a kitten).. I realise there will be vet fees for rabbies jabs but do they charge ££ for these 'fit to fly' certificates as a rule or is it nominal or free?
My vet charged me £130 for fit to fly certificates and £60 for rabies, but that was for 3.