Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which airlines take pets?

Which airlines take pets?

Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which airlines take pets?

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I will take your word for it.
BUT we were told the same thing around this time last year and it wasnt true when we checked with the airlines (and vet and the Brother-in-Law who works for Defra).
Having said that the rules may have changed since.
They only need a fitness to fly letter, which is solely for the airline's purpose. They don't need any vaccs or any docs at all to come into Canada from the UK (designated rabies free on Canada's list). See here - http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...chien_2e.shtml

Always think it's worthwhile mentioning this as there seem to be a lot of people moving at short notice who don't always have time to sort out their animals' vaccinations. Knowing you can bring your cat/dog regardless is one less thing to worry about.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Jan 9th 2007 at 7:04 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
Hi not sure if this will help much, we were hoping to get to Vancouver by end of feb and needed to get 4 cats their, the only flights we could find heading that way at time was Zoom. They only take pets as cargo and had us a quote sent from Jet Set Pets, and for 4 cats including carriers was quoted £725.15 which i didn't think was too bad, but having said that dont know anything about them and haven't heard anyone mention them on forum. Haven't done anything about it as getting their by end of feb turned out to be wishful thinking Sans
Cheers for the info, I wish you & your cats a good journey, let me know how they get on, i'd be really interested to hear.

Best wishes, Arris
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:53 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
They only need a fitness to fly letter, which is solely for the airline's purpose. They don't need any vaccs or any docs at all to come into Canada from the UK (designated rabies free on Canada's list). See here - http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...chien_2e.shtml

Always think it's worthwhile mentioning this as there seem to be a lot of people moving at short notice who don't always have time to sort out their animals' vaccinations. Knowing you can bring your cat/dog regardless is one less thing to worry about.
One of those things, eh?
We had to show a rabies cert when we arrived (but that was all). The fit to fly letter from the vet (not defra, just a hand written with surgery stamp) wasnt requested anywhere!!!!
Inconsistencies everywhere.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

One of those things, eh?
The fit to fly letter from the vet (not defra, just a hand written with surgery stamp) wasnt requested anywhere!!!!
Me neither, in fact not only did Air Canada not ask to see his fitness to fly letter, they forgot to charge me for him too. Bonus
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:07 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Me neither, in fact not only did Air Canada not ask to see his fitness to fly letter, they forgot to charge me for him too. Bonus
LOL
real bonus!!!!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

LOL
real bonus!!!!
I can confirm what most have stated already, the only airline that will take your pet as excess baggage is AC providing it is not heavier than 32kg and you are going on the same flight. BA’s website is a little misleading, it gives you a number but when you ring, you just get a list of agents to book with. Have just booked our choc lab with zoom for £800, funny enough they have asked for a DEFRA certificate even when I told them we had a pet ppt. Good look to you all who are heading out with pets and to all who have none also.
Andy
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:59 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Have just taken my cat from Aberdeen to Halifax, via Heathrow and Toronto (it's a long story ) and wasn't asked to show any papers at all, even though I offered Had paid for the flights in advance and was never asked for landing fees either ($40 I think).
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:22 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

I will take your word for it.
BUT we were told the same thing around this time last year and it wasnt true when we checked with the airlines (and vet and the Brother-in-Law who works for Defra).
Having said that the rules may have changed since.
Just got off the phone to DEFRA. You do need an EHC to enter Canada although no Rabies jab is needed

D
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kellydrew
Just got off the phone to DEFRA. You do need an EHC to enter Canada although no Rabies jab is needed

D
That's weird because Canada (see my link upthread) say you need nothing at all.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 5:56 pm
Banned

That's weird because Canada (see my link upthread) say you need nothing at all.
Personally I'm inclined to believe Canada (I know about the outsourcing with DEFRA )
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Personally I'm inclined to believe Canada (I know about the outsourcing with DEFRA )
Going by the paperwork my Dad got when arranging our dog for us, all Defra do is look at the Canadian website anyway The person Drew got probably just didn't read all the way to the end.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 7:11 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Going by the paperwork my Dad got when arranging our dog for us, all Defra do is look at the Canadian website anyway The person Drew got probably just didn't read all the way to the end.
You're probably right. It's no biggy though, and as far as I'm aware the EHC doesn't cost

Harvey (see pic) isn't coming over until we complete on our house in Barrie at the end of Feb, so the rules may have changed again by then. Bit of a bummer now with most of the airlines not taking dogs as excess baggage. Spoke with AC yesterday and they don't fly from M/cr to YYZ until the summer so looks like we'll have to ship him with an agency:scared:

D
Old Jan 13th 2007, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lucky you, I don't think my Dad's vet had done one of those export certificates before (happened to be a Defra vet though) and it cost over 70 quid for about 30secs work iirc

Harvey looks gorgeous, hope he has a good flight and doesn't cost you too much

Originally Posted by kellydrew
You're probably right. It's no biggy though, and as far as I'm aware the EHC doesn't cost

Harvey (see pic) isn't coming over until we complete on our house in Barrie at the end of Feb, so the rules may have changed again by then. Bit of a bummer now with most of the airlines not taking dogs as excess baggage. Spoke with AC yesterday and they don't fly from M/cr to YYZ until the summer so looks like we'll have to ship him with an agency:scared:

D
Old Jan 13th 2007, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

wizaird is an unknown quantity at this point

we have 3 rabbits and a cat ,

Anyone taken rabbits to Canada before ?

thanks Dave
Old Jan 13th 2007, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Does anyone know how much it would be to fly one cat? Someone mentioned £755 for 4 cats but I thought it was a similar price for just one. Our cat is still in the UK being looked after by a friend until we decide what we want to do. We have been here nearly 3 months and will be moving into our place next month. I really want to try and send him over but he seems really settled where he is and won't be allowed outside here...decisions, decisions

Knowing my luck I will spend all this money having him flown over and he would escape never to be seen again! :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.