Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Airlines to ship cats to Canada (Hali)- AC, Air Transat, Icelandair? recommendations?

Airlines to ship cats to Canada (Hali)- AC, Air Transat, Icelandair? recommendations?

Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

canuckypom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Airlines to ship cats to Canada (Hali)- AC, Air Transat, Icelandair? recommendations?

We're returning to Canada after 9 years in England with our 2 cats in tow (they, along with cat3 and large golden came over from Canada with us - global pudders; bet they never thought this was their future when there were feral kittens on the highway in Newfoundland!)

We're looking into airlines - we'll need to be on the same flight. Does anyone have experience with Air Transat (we used Air Canada last time)? And does anyone know if Icelandair is a recognised pet carrier for Canada and if so, have any opinion on them? I've been on their website and they reference that they fly pets internationally but that's as far as I've gotten. I've emailed them but so far no response. In fact - getting through to AC Cargo is still but a dream too.

Looking at fares, Icelandair is giving us the cheapest at the mo. We realise there's a stop over, which is a drag for the cats, but I think it's possible to have a relatively short one which might be just fine.

Can anyone offer advice?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 2:09 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airlines to ship cats to Canada (Hali)- AC, Air Transat, Icelandair? recommendati

We flew our cat as excess Baggage on AC last year. Got his vari-kennel measurements from AC website and defra,bought vari-kennel on ebay, did all the defra vet stuff, booked him on the same flight for $105 (I think) but you have to do it over the phone. We then turned up at the LHR with him and he was wisked away by a very nice AC person who gave him water and everything.
He arrived safe and sound without any problems.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

canuckypom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Airlines to ship cats to Canada (Hali)- AC, Air Transat, Icelandair? recommendati

Ah, thanks for that, sounds like things have changed. We just got through on the phone to them and apparently they now have higher strength x ray gear and so individuals can't ship their pets without going through a pet transfer company like airpets - who apparently have weaker machinery and whatever. The person at AC said though that they would charge the pet shipping company £375 - and of course we'd have to pay on top whatever the company tacked on.. Just got through to Icelandair and they would charge £80 for both - that's looking pretty good!