Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Air quality-BC

Air quality-BC

Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

elysianfields is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air quality-BC

Having placed BC on a shortlist of Provinces to consider relocating to. I have unearthed some interesting facts in my research of this Province. Apparently, there is an issue regarding air pollution in certain parts of the BC interior

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pol...itish_Columbia

Having spent some time in Victoria, BC . I was quite suprised at this disclosure, having always regarded BC as a pristine Province in the main.

I would be interested to hear any informed comments on this subject.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:20 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air quality-BC

Hi

Originally Posted by elysianfields
Having placed BC on a shortlist of Provinces to consider relocating to. I have unearthed some interesting facts in my research of this Province. Apparently, there is an issue regarding air pollution in certain parts of the BC interior

Having spent some time in Victoria, BC . I was quite suprised at this disclosure, having always regarded BC as a pristine Province in the main.

1. Prince George & Quesnel pulp mills (they used to be called the smell of money)
2. Chilliwack/Fraser Valley (note valley) the winds are usually from the West and blow up the valley carrying all the pollutants with them, until they hit hope at the head of the valley.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:01 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Like he said ^^^^ plus the hot dry air and/or air pressure/inversions/valley geography keeps particulates in specific areas. Add to that smoke from forest fires hundreds of miles away, purple haze sunsets are nice....for a night or two but 2 months of them and a smoke clogged valley is a bit much

Like I passed my O-level geography

Rich.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elysianfields

The Lower Fraser Valley is one of the most polluted places in Canada, see (for informed comment),

http://www.msc.ec.gc.ca/projects/pac...1/index_e.html
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

In the Summer, the radio presenters here in Victoria were quite often very smug when giving air quality reports - and seemed to enjoy pointing out how Vancouver was suffering smog most mornings...! Don't have that problem here!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:21 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Escapea
In the Summer, the radio presenters here in Victoria were quite often very smug when giving air quality reports - and seemed to enjoy pointing out how Vancouver was suffering smog most mornings...! Don't have that problem here!
However, unlike Victoria, Vancouver does at least treat its sewage.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:44 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
However, unlike Victoria, Vancouver does at least treat its sewage.
Yeah but Victorians figure that their shit doesn't stink.