Air Canada

Old May 16th 2012, 2:24 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Canada

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
Not sure how much easier it needs to be!!
I'd like AC to be as easier as BA, that's how much

But i only use the miles for upgrades and always get the free flights or discounts using Amex Blue Sky where points = $'s off any travel purchase (can be used with Canadian Affair to a much greater advantage i would imagine).
Old May 16th 2012, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Yep..fly them enough..

The rest are codeshare on the same ticket with Lufthansa or Austrian...on that itinerary...
So, you transfer @ LHR or FRA for VIE then?
Old May 16th 2012, 3:30 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
AC's only long haul flights from Ottawa are to to LHR and Frankfurt...
Apart from the summer charters, they are the only long haul flights from Ottawa. Pathetic, isn't it?

I'm not looking forward to trying to get to Cape Town this October.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

So, you transfer @ LHR or FRA for VIE then?
Yep..one AC - Star Alliance ticket..all the way is the plan...usually via Frankfurt, Vienna, Istanbul, Houston or LAX to get to destination.

Always try to get the hops across the pond on AC though...although sometimes fail at that.

Yours aye...
Old May 16th 2012, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'd like AC to be as easier as BA, that's how much

But i only use the miles for upgrades and always get the free flights or discounts using Amex Blue Sky where points = $'s off any travel purchase (can be used with Canadian Affair to a much greater advantage i would imagine).

Not flown BA for years...last flight was memorable though, upgraded Business to First on the Islamabad - Heathrow run.

As for cards, I use AMEX Gold (although there may be better options). Can do all the usual buy travel stuff etc..or flip to Aeroplan. If you do the latter, Dec is best as Aeroplan offers big bonuses when you transfer them over.

Not availed myself of that yet....as AC balance is sufficient. Plus there is no expiry on the AMEX side....not that I am effected by that aspect (yet)!
Old May 16th 2012, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Souvy
Apart from the summer charters, they are the only long haul flights from Ottawa. Pathetic, isn't it?

Yes it is. We're doing (YOW - FRA), (MUC - FLR), (FLR-FRA-YOW) in about 4 weeks time. It would have nice to fly FLR - some Italian or Swiss Airport - YOW on the return leg, but as it is we now have a 6 hour layover at hell on earth (sorry, FRA) on the return leg.

As a resident of South Ottawa, pretty much every day we see the two 767's coming into land - and can pinpoint where they've come from based on the time of day. "Oh it's ten to four, must be the one from London" lol.

I remember in 2005, Thomas Cook / Canadian Affair did flights from Manchester for a season. That route didn't take off (no pun intended). An aunt flew with them and said it was just her and maybe 20 other people on a 757.

Last edited by wolstie; May 16th 2012 at 4:33 am.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:31 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

As for cards, I use AMEX Gold (although there may be better options). Can do all the usual buy travel stuff etc..or flip to Aeroplan.
Yeah that's a good one. I refuse to pay $'s to have a card so went with the other.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:35 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

I did St. John's to Jo'burg a few years back. It involved flying overnight to London, killing 10 hours or so in town and then overnight to Jo'burg of SAA. All of it in economy class. It's not a trip I care to repeat anytime soon.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:49 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is. We're doing (YOW - FRA), (MUC - FLR), (FLR-FRA-YOW) in about 4 weeks time. It would have nice to fly FLR - some Italian or Swiss Airport - YOW on the return leg, but as it is we now have a 6 hour layover at hell on earth (sorry, FRA) on the return leg.

As a resident of South Ottawa, pretty much every day we see the two 767's coming into land - and can pinpoint where they've come from based on the time of day. "Oh it's ten to four, must be the one from London" lol.

I remember in 2005, Thomas Cook / Canadian Affair did flights from Manchester for a season. That route didn't take off (no pun intended). An aunt flew with them and said it was just her and maybe 20 other people on a 757.
Don't lol too much. I'm sadder. I may live way up the hill but, when the wind is in the right direction, I can hear those 767s take off. My wife rolls her eyes when I point out that 888 just took off.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:56 am
Slob

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I did St. John's to Jo'burg a few years back. It involved flying overnight to London, killing 10 hours or so in town and then overnight to Jo'burg of SAA. All of it in economy class. It's not a trip I care to repeat anytime soon.
This why I have made it clear to the mother ship that I'm not doing the trip in one go. I'll overnight somewhere near LHR. Both ways.

Similar to what happened last year.

"How would you like to go to a conference in Kazakhstan?"

"Go ***k yourself."
Old May 16th 2012, 6:08 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

What does anyone do with the AC miles though? I thought it's only the Status Miles that you can use for upgrades & stuff?

I'm trying to work out if I can get to Super Elite this year... might just make it.
Old May 16th 2012, 7:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Toronto-Atlanta-LAX-Taipai-Sydney-Adelaide in economy, I was well pretzled after returning by a similar route and then I went to Kaula Lumpar (or whatever it's called, where that woman from Corrie moved) via, it seemed, every place with a runway. Still, I didn't have to use AC so it could have been worse.
Old May 16th 2012, 8:12 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
What does anyone do with the AC miles though? I thought it's only the Status Miles that you can use for upgrades & stuff?

I'm trying to work out if I can get to Super Elite this year... might just make it.
The actual Aeroplan miles? Well, I do use them for travel, although of course, they are not free flights, more like 50% discounted and have to be booked well in advance. I am tempted to use them to buy stuff at times, although checking on the Aeroplan website this morning, I find they no longer sell Ipad's which is what I was considering buying.

The status miles are of course useful for upgrades & not getting bumped off flights. I hope never to hit the heady heights of Super Elite because that's way too much travel - unless it's all in Executive Class of course. Last year I did 64k on AC/Star Alliance & 38 flight segments. Plus another 20k or so on Cathay Pacific and probably another 20k on assorted airlines from SAS to BA, CityFlyer and BMI Baby. I get around, me.
Old May 16th 2012, 8:21 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

The difference with BA and AC is that AC gives you complimentary credits for upgrades so you don't need to use miles. This is a big plus.

It used to be better with the old certs, especially before they had names on.

Status miles are what get you the upgrades but are also regular miles.

Beware though, there are some big changes coming to Aeroplan. 35K flown miles was enough for Elite and Star Gold. There are now new tiers and it will take 50K to get Gold.

I had Super Elite for a few years which is a very nice level and a lot better than Elite.

If you want to keep fees/taxes down on Aeroplan tickets then don't use any AC metal in the booking.

These days I tend to use miles to get a business ticket to the UK/Europe in the summer for OH and I buy an upgradeable ticket.
Old May 16th 2012, 11:01 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
The difference with BA and AC is that AC gives you complimentary credits for upgrades so you don't need to use miles. This is a big plus.

It used to be better with the old certs, especially before they had names on.

Status miles are what get you the upgrades but are also regular miles.

Beware though, there are some big changes coming to Aeroplan. 35K flown miles was enough for Elite and Star Gold. There are now new tiers and it will take 50K to get Gold.

I had Super Elite for a few years which is a very nice level and a lot better than Elite.

If you want to keep fees/taxes down on Aeroplan tickets then don't use any AC metal in the booking.

These days I tend to use miles to get a business ticket to the UK/Europe in the summer for OH and I buy an upgradeable ticket.
With your knowledge you'd better off opening a travel agency rather than leading the little mites astray.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.