Air Canada

Old May 17th 2012, 3:57 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Canada

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I guess so, though not as much these days as you can't play the systems as much as you could. I like travel and I like travelling as nicely as possible with both airlines and hotels. I can't afford to pay for business class or great rooms in nice hotels. So, I work the frequent traveller systems to make it possible.
Airlines and hotels figure what the average top-tier member will spend in revenue and provide benefits based on this. I aim to spend a tenth or less of that and get all the benefits.

Mattress running is perhaps even sadder
I'm genuinely curious. Is it cost effective over the long term to do this? I mean, you spend the $'s chasing the points when you don't need to travel, then spend the $'s when you do need to travel albeit in a nicer class. same goes with hotels.

If you saved the money you spend on the not needed travel, would that make up for anything?

I guess if you love to travel then it's all good.
Old May 17th 2012, 4:17 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm genuinely curious. Is it cost effective over the long term to do this? I mean, you spend the $'s chasing the points when you don't need to travel, then spend the $'s when you do need to travel albeit in a nicer class. same goes with hotels.

If you saved the money you spend on the not needed travel, would that make up for anything?

I guess if you love to travel then it's all good.
There's obviously a balance, and it's definitely not as cost effective as it used to be. I did a lot of this stuff around 2004/5/6 when there were some very cheap fares. I don't mileage run much these days as I can able to buy higher fare class economy tickets that I can upgrade with status. With hotel status and points (and to some extent the airlines too) its the fact that they dont (often) have peak seasons or black-out dates.
So, I usually redeem points at high season where the fares or hotel prices are very high. I do place quite a high personal value on status too - simply for things like upgrades, free breakfast, late check-out etc.
I also have to do a decent amount of travel each year for work, so my runs top up what I am already doing. I wouldn't do it otherwise.
Old May 17th 2012, 5:32 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

OH and I recently returned from vacation and while waiting to board our AC flight out of Halifax, we were called up and offered a free upgrade to Executive Business Class.

I was super-elated travelling in my AC pod with George Clooney (ok, he was on the TV lol)
Old May 17th 2012, 6:40 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I've done it, though not recently. I once did YVR-SFO-NRT-SIN and back with 7 hours in Siingapore. This was even in the back on United. Two of those were good for around 30K miles.

Also did LHR-YYZ-YVR-SYD and just did one night in Sydney which was quite fun.
While I admire the effort, to me that sounds like purgatory. And with all that upgrading I bet they still don't let you have a crafty fag on the plane.
Old May 17th 2012, 6:57 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
While I admire the effort, to me that sounds like purgatory. And with all that upgrading I bet they still don't let you have a crafty fag on the plane.
They don't, though I once had a very accommodating flight attendant

You do have to enjoy travelling though. As long as you make sure to have a few drinks before getting on the plane, then a lot more, its amazing how quickly time passes. OF course going through Canadian immigration while still pissed is never fun
Old May 17th 2012, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

They don't, though I once had a very accommodating flight attendant

You do have to enjoy travelling though. As long as you make sure to have a few drinks before getting on the plane, then a lot more, its amazing how quickly time passes. OF course going through Canadian immigration while still pissed is never fun
Dealing with pissed travellers coming through Immigration is also no fun