Reload this Page >

Age issues for working in Canada

Age issues for working in Canada

Old Nov 20th 2012, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

ste1070 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Age issues for working in Canada

Hi All,

Have asked this question a couple of times but since starting with our dreams of emigrating, the years are passing by!

I am hoping to go out and sit Red Seal (Industrial Electrician) in the next few months and then explore the proposed FSTC route as opposed to FSW. I am 42 years of age and am just concerned how attractive to a prospective employee I would be to our Canadian counterparts??

I do have a lot to offer in this field and indeed have just accepted a position here as an Electrical Maintenance Supervisor (a contingency if plans don't pan out)

Thoughts would be appreciated
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:49 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age issues for working in Canada

Originally Posted by ste1070
Hi All,

Have asked this question a couple of times but since starting with our dreams of emigrating, the years are passing by!

I am hoping to go out and sit Red Seal (Industrial Electrician) in the next few months and then explore the proposed FSTC route as opposed to FSW. I am 42 years of age and am just concerned how attractive to a prospective employee I would be to our Canadian counterparts??

I do have a lot to offer in this field and indeed have just accepted a position here as an Electrical Maintenance Supervisor (a contingency if plans don't pan out)

Thoughts would be appreciated
Being 42 would not be a factor I believe.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tangram
Being 42 would not be a factor I believe.
I would have thought not but I am not afraid of harsh realities!!

Thanks
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I was older than you when I arrived and almost 5 years later am still called "Young Man" by many of my collegues.

As for harsh realities, there are many people who work into their 70s and eighties over here.

In my view 50 is the new 40 over here. I know a number of people who are in their early 50s who are strugling to find work.

At 42, you have at least 23 years of work left in you, and that is enough for most employers.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britsnake
I was older than you when I arrived and almost 5 years later am still called "Young Man" by many of my collegues.

As for harsh realities, there are many people who work into their 70s and eighties over here.

In my view 50 is the new 40 over here. I know a number of people who are in their early 50s who are strugling to find work.

At 42, you have at least 23 years of work left in you, and that is enough for most employers.
Again, this is how I view it but I am making sure. I don't want to invest too much much time or money into the venture to be told 'well you'll be struggling to get work'. I get the feeling the 'trades' are still in demand. We had a set back last year as we was ready to submit FSW app but then everything was halted. The age amendment may mean I can't go down that route but am hoping to use the new FSTC visa once confirmed. This is why I am progressing Red Seal in order that I can 'spring' into action (so to speak!)

Thanks for vote of confidence.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
Yeah, a lot of people seem to treat retirement as a chance to change careers. One of my girlfriend's relatives was doing construction work in his seventies, though, having done outdoor manual work much of his life, he was probably fitter at 75 than I was at half that age.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarkG
Yeah, a lot of people seem to treat retirement as a chance to change careers. One of my girlfriend's relatives was doing construction work in his seventies, though, having done outdoor manual work much of his life, he was probably fitter at 75 than I was at half that age.
Environment may be more conducive to a happier working life
Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

garwboy is an unknown quantity at this point

There are 5 of us ( welders ) coming over in the new year and 3 of us are in our fifties. I wouldn't worry
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ste1070
Again, this is how I view it but I am making sure. I don't want to invest too much much time or money into the venture to be told 'well you'll be struggling to get work'.
No real way to tell. If it is what you want to do, do it, if the availability of work is a big issue, come to Canada meet prospective employers and make a judgement call.

If you have lots of experience, gut feeling says you are in with a good chance, it is still a gamble though.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
No real way to tell. If it is what you want to do, do it, if the availability of work is a big issue, come to Canada meet prospective employers and make a judgement call.

If you have lots of experience, gut feeling says you are in with a good chance, it is still a gamble though.
Thanks for your help
Old Nov 21st 2012, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by garwboy
There are 5 of us ( welders ) coming over in the new year and 3 of us are in our fifties. I wouldn't worry
Emigrating or on a temporary work permit?
Old Nov 21st 2012, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Going out on a TWP ( quickest way as no LMO required) then applying for pr. It was an important point for the employer that we were willing to commit long term
Old Nov 21st 2012, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Going out on a TWP ( quickest way as no LMO required) then applying for pr. It was an important point for the employer that we were willing to commit long term
Am happy to commit but seem to struggle to get interest
Old Nov 21st 2012, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

I don't know what the score is regarding the demand for electricians, I can only suggest you sign up with the likes of jobrapido, seek, etc and don't give up. Have you tried mck global? Good luck
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there such a thing as a TWP that doesn't require an LMO ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.