Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for what to buy in UK to bring to Canada

Advice for what to buy in UK to bring to Canada

Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for what to buy in UK to bring to Canada

Blimey....who died and made her queen of the forum...

Its a public forum, and an odd request. If you had read the read me file at the top of the Canada forum then you would probably have known what to expect. If a post is abusive (and I dont see anything here beyond gentle ribbing), report it and let the mods deal with it, dont pour gas on the flames

Last edited by iaink; Jul 14th 2009 at 12:55 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:48 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm biting my tongue on this one.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angie123
I asked a simple question and yes i want to bring my own toilet seats because i bought a bunch on sale at B&Q (wooden ones) and dont want to waste them

the sarcasm isnt appreciated - and not needed and not helpful. I want to bring whatever I can from here, that i can use, and not have to buy over there.

I am paying £4000 in transport moving fees anyway, so might as well load it up.

I know there are always 'senior' members on a list like this and often that 'title' carries with it 'big fish in a small pond' syndrome, but please keep it to yourself when responding to my queries. they are legitmate queries and I came here to get information not for my posts to be laughed at.

examine why you feel the need to belittle someone's query. As a canadian, I and others of my compatriots are often known as very polite, compared to other cultures - if you are a new canadian I suggest you try and do as the romans do and leave your british snottiness back home, or whatever kind of snottiness it is. Lots of very rude canadians too, just like everywhere else, and whatever group you wish to fall into, has very little to do with helping people on a list like this. please develop some maturity when answering people's posts, or consider not answering them at all.

thankfully I dont have to worry about going back to canada, i am a born and bred canadian. however, there are people on this list desperate to get to canada and i am quite sure they have enough to deal with than your sarcasm.

thank you
That told us then

I was going to post a helpful comment saying that you can buy good loo seats in Canada that can be removed easily so that you can clean the loo properly. But then why should I say anything polite and helpful about Canada? A polite helpful Canadian has just labelled me British and snotty so that's what I will be.

As for doing as the Romans do I suggest you look into your countries policies on assimilation vs multiculturalism.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I refer the honourable ladies and gentlemen to the answer I gave earlier
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

SarahMom is an unknown quantity at this point

"thankfully I dont have to worry about going back to canada, i am a born and bred canadian."

Why the question about loo seats then????

Last edited by SarahMom; Jul 14th 2009 at 2:52 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:09 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

In a probably vain effort to provide a serious answer.....

Oddly, we did bring a loo seat with us but not exactly on purpose - it's one of those special 3-part ones with a smaller seat for toddlers. We'd taken it off the loo in preparation for selling our flat, the packers found it in a cupboard and wrapped it up in bubblewrap before we had a chance to get rid of it. It now has pride of place in our powder room, where it fits perfectly on our Canadian throne. Having said that, though... Angie, you must have expected some sarcastic comments, surely, when you posted a question about toilet seats?

Light fixtures are a different matter. If you have table lamps, standard lamps etc to which you're particularly attached, it's not a big effort to rewire them for Canadian use. You'll need new flex (a 120V/60W bulb draws more current than a 240V/60W bulb) and a new bulbholder, in order to meet CSA approvals, but these are available by the ton in Crappy Tire or Home Depot and it's a job any moderately competent DIYer can do.

We bought a couple of bits of furniture from a saleroom just prior to moving over - a chest of drawers for a spare bedroom, a couple of bedside cabinets, a set of dining chairs - because our small flat in the UK had no need of these, but we anticipated having a rather larger house when we got here. Our taste in furniture was, and remains, closer to what we could get for a song in the UK than to what we could spend (a lot) more to buy here. Good new furniture is expensive anywhere; good old furniture is hard to find in Canada, in our experience.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by angie123
I asked a simple question and yes i want to bring my own toilet seats because i bought a bunch on sale at B&Q (wooden ones) and dont want to waste them

the sarcasm isnt appreciated - and not needed and not helpful. I want to bring whatever I can from here, that i can use, and not have to buy over there.

I am paying £4000 in transport moving fees anyway, so might as well load it up.

I know there are always 'senior' members on a list like this and often that 'title' carries with it 'big fish in a small pond' syndrome, but please keep it to yourself when responding to my queries. they are legitmate queries and I came here to get information not for my posts to be laughed at.

examine why you feel the need to belittle someone's query. As a canadian, I and others of my compatriots are often known as very polite, compared to other cultures - if you are a new canadian I suggest you try and do as the romans do and leave your british snottiness back home, or whatever kind of snottiness it is. Lots of very rude canadians too, just like everywhere else, and whatever group you wish to fall into, has very little to do with helping people on a list like this. please develop some maturity when answering people's posts, or consider not answering them at all.

thankfully I dont have to worry about going back to canada, i am a born and bred canadian. however, there are people on this list desperate to get to canada and i am quite sure they have enough to deal with than your sarcasm.

thank you
I'm with you! This forum really isn't a very welcoming place these days with the constant sneering and piss-taking. It's like being at school again...in a bad way.

We worried endlessly about what we should bring over with us, but really there's nothing you can't buy or get your hands on through ebay etc, so no need to worry too much about it. There's nothing I can think of that's truly essential.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Advice for what to buy in UK to bring to Canada

i had heard that cheese, chocolate and cereals are in short supply out there.
and mint sauce!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

Angie 123 totally get what you are saying - it really puts me off posting and I haven't yet dared to start a whole new thread even tho I have questions to ask...
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
We worried endlessly about what we should bring over with us, but really there's nothing you can't buy or get your hands on through ebay etc, so no need to worry too much about it. There's nothing I can think of that's truly essential.
Have you looked at Ebay in Canada. It is nowhere near as "comprehensive" as its British or US counterpart.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate holt
Angie 123 totally get what you are saying - it really puts me off posting and I haven't yet dared to start a whole new thread even tho I have questions to ask...
As long as you think a bit before hitting the "submit post" button, and check if its already got an answer, then its unlikely anyone will jump all over a post..., But you do have to be prepared for people to find the humour in a post if there is any room for it.

People are generally too sensitive, you have to remember that british humour is the norm here, sarcasm is part of that, as is poking fun at people. I suspect the relative anonymity of the internet adds to that too, but rest assured, genuine abuse will not be tollerated.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 14th 2009 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate holt
Kate and others who have commented in a similar vein - if you have issues with the forum and think posts are out of line, then why not report them to the mods?

We simply cannot read every post, if you feel that somebody is overstepping the mark or being abusive then click on the report button - that's what it's there for!

Go on Kate, be brave, post those questions................. (Just check the Wiki first to make sure the answer isn't in there )
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Here I am, hoping that someone will mention Marks and Spencer's bras so we can have another discussion about ample women's wobbly bits.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Here I am, hoping that someone will mention Marks and Spencer's bras so we can have another discussion about ample women's wobbly bits.
I see what you did there.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

Kate and others who have commented in a similar vein - if you have issues with the forum and think posts are out of line, then why not report them to the mods?

We simply cannot read every post, if you feel that somebody is overstepping the mark or being abusive then click on the report button - that's what it's there for!

Go on Kate, be brave, post those questions................. (Just check the Wiki first to make sure the answer isn't in there )
ah thanks! I couldn't actually say people are out of line - just very sarcastic and make you feel stupid and small. I compared London at night to Beirut (sarcastically) my god i got jumped on! I had not intended to offend but obviously I had - it just feels that some people actually look for an argument?

anyway thanks for the encouragement - ill give it a go one day soon... watch this space!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.