Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for what to buy in UK to bring to Canada

Advice for what to buy in UK to bring to Canada

Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

angie123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for what to buy in UK to bring to Canada

well, house is on the market, and getting in gear to move back to Canada - racking my brain what to buy that I know I will regret, if i dont, to bring back to canada.

I am going there this week and will be looking at stuff adn prices so i can come back and see what i need to ship over.

any ideas for me on that score? Can you use UK toilet seats in Canada? i know the lightbulbs are different, so no point in bringing my light fixtures.

what would a nice 1930's wooden side cabinet cost? i can get them here for next to nothing but it will cost to ship.

by the way, good deals on canadian affair at the moment, crappy airline (from memory) but cheap.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice for what to buy in UK to bring to Canada

Originally Posted by angie123
well, house is on the market, and getting in gear to move back to Canada - racking my brain what to buy that I know I will regret, if i dont, to bring back to canada.
Quality cheese?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Quality cheese?
You wouldnt be allowed to bring it in under the foodstuff requirements

Personally I cant think of anything...
Old Jul 13th 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Adeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really nice

Bovril!!!!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:17 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Some good quality tyres cuz people say it snows a lot in Canada and then the roads are difficult to drive on?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Some good quality tyres cuz people say it snows a lot in Canada and then the roads are difficult to drive on?
Much more chance of finding decent winter tires in Canada I suspect... The snow actually makes the roads EASIER to drive on...it fills in the gigantic pot holes
Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the very few things we've had brought from the UK was a kitchen sink. An embarassed daughter travelling as an unaccompanied minor brought it back. You just can't get quality kitchen sinks here, they don't have draining boards.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:40 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going there this week and will be looking at stuff adn prices so i can come back and see what i need to ship over.

any ideas for me on that score? Can you use UK toilet seats in Canada? i know the lightbulbs are different, so no point in bringing my light fixtures.

what would a nice 1930's wooden side cabinet cost? i can get them here for next to nothing but it will cost to ship.

by the way, good deals on canadian affair at the moment, crappy airline (from memory) but cheap.
If you dont have it now, why would you want to specifically buy it and ship it over??
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:35 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

I have read it all now!!! i thought people bringing over christmas tree lights was a bit silly (cost about $10 new here) but toilet seats and light bulbs.

Don't for get to bring your own toilet paper
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:47 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

irony pills
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:51 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Chocolate. Get rid of everything else and just fill up your bags with chocolate. Oooh and kidnap an Indian chef from your local curry house. Bring two if poss get a load on Canadian Ebay for him.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:55 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Chocolate. Get rid of everything else and just fill up your bags with chocolate. Oooh and kidnap an Indian chef from your local curry house. Bring two if poss get a load on Canadian Ebay for him.
I finally found a good BC curry house - Shandhar Hut in Chilliwack. Honestly.

P.S. The new Presidents Choice range in the white boxes is really good. Even my kids woof down the Aloo Gobi.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

angie123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked a simple question and yes i want to bring my own toilet seats because i bought a bunch on sale at B&Q (wooden ones) and dont want to waste them

the sarcasm isnt appreciated - and not needed and not helpful. I want to bring whatever I can from here, that i can use, and not have to buy over there.

I am paying £4000 in transport moving fees anyway, so might as well load it up.

I know there are always 'senior' members on a list like this and often that 'title' carries with it 'big fish in a small pond' syndrome, but please keep it to yourself when responding to my queries. they are legitmate queries and I came here to get information not for my posts to be laughed at.

examine why you feel the need to belittle someone's query. As a canadian, I and others of my compatriots are often known as very polite, compared to other cultures - if you are a new canadian I suggest you try and do as the romans do and leave your british snottiness back home, or whatever kind of snottiness it is. Lots of very rude canadians too, just like everywhere else, and whatever group you wish to fall into, has very little to do with helping people on a list like this. please develop some maturity when answering people's posts, or consider not answering them at all.

thankfully I dont have to worry about going back to canada, i am a born and bred canadian. however, there are people on this list desperate to get to canada and i am quite sure they have enough to deal with than your sarcasm.

thank you
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I asked a simple question and yes i want to bring my own toilet seats because i bought a bunch on sale at B&Q (wooden ones) and dont want to waste them

the sarcasm isnt appreciated - and not needed and not helpful. I want to bring whatever I can from here, that i can use, and not have to buy over there.

I am paying £4000 in transport moving fees anyway, so might as well load it up.

I know there are always 'senior' members on a list like this and often that 'title' carries with it 'big fish in a small pond' syndrome, but please keep it to yourself when responding to my queries. they are legitmate queries and I came here to get information not for my posts to be laughed at.

examine why you feel the need to belittle someone's query. As a canadian, I and others of my compatriots are often known as very polite, compared to other cultures - if you are a new canadian I suggest you try and do as the romans do and leave your british snottiness back home, or whatever kind of snottiness it is. Lots of very rude canadians too, just like everywhere else, and whatever group you wish to fall into, has very little to do with helping people on a list like this. please develop some maturity when answering people's posts, or consider not answering them at all.

thankfully I dont have to worry about going back to canada, i am a born and bred canadian. however, there are people on this list desperate to get to canada and i am quite sure they have enough to deal with than your sarcasm.

thank you
I do wonder what people in your household do on or in toilets such that it's worth buying a bunch of seats. My post about the kitchen sink was truthful, no sarcasm there.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

DFTBH!!!

(Don't Forget The Block Heater!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.