Reload this Page >

Advice wanted in regards to visiting USA

Advice wanted in regards to visiting USA

Old Nov 30th 2019, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

dpayne291 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice wanted in regards to visiting USA

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but I'm sure lots of you have experience with visiting the US.

I plan to move to Vancouver on an IEC visa in March. Of course, I would like to visit the USA sometimes, for short trips, whilst I am there as it is so close. However, I was unfortunately rejected for a work visa at the beginning of the year for the US and this has made the prospect of re-entering the country, even as a tourist, difficult. As I've been rejected for a visa then my ESTA will also be rejected meaning that I would have to go to the embassy to apply for a B2 visa.

So, I'm really not sure what to do. If I go to the embassy just before I move to Canada (whilst I still have a job in my home country), I would probably have to say that I plan to move to Canada and would like the visa to visit the US on short trips. However, given that they will be looking at strong ties to my home country (I am single, 28, and own no property in the UK), then it seems almost certain that my visa will be rejected as I have little ties to the UK (though I won't be intending on immigrating to the US).

So it's either that, or go to the embassy and not mention Canada at all (although, I'm bound to have to talk about specific travel plans to the US, so I guess that won't really work) - or try my luck on the border whilst I'm in Vancouver - as I won't need a visa/esta if I enter via train/car etc.

Thanks
Old Nov 30th 2019, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice wanted in regards to visiting USA

Although you won't need the ESTA and having a previous refusal I doubt the US would let you in under the Visa Waiver Programme which UK citizens can enter on. IMHO apply to the US Embassy/Consulate once in Canada when you actually have a work permit and then explain you have a 2 year work permit and just want to visit the USA.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/vancouver/
Old Nov 30th 2019, 4:27 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Although you won't need the ESTA and having a previous refusal I doubt the US would let you in under the Visa Waiver Programme which UK citizens can enter on. IMHO apply to the US Embassy/Consulate once in Canada when you actually have a work permit and then explain you have a 2 year work permit and just want to visit the USA.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/vancouver/
1. I hope the OP mentioned the visa refusal in his/her IEC application. If not, there is a good chance that s/he would snagged for misrepresentation.

Old Nov 30th 2019, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

dpayne291 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. I hope the OP mentioned the visa refusal in his/her IEC application. If not, there is a good chance that s/he would snagged for misrepresentation.
I did indeed! All good on that front.