Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping Tools

Shipping Tools

Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

gemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping Tools

Hi,

We are in the process of immigrating to Canada under the FST programme as my husband is a plumber.

How do we ship his tools? Having done some research already I understand it’s not particularly easy as they have to be squeaky clean (rightly so) and in a lockable container. Do we have to pay tax or can you pack them with the your personal items etc? Or are we best off just selling them before we go and starting all over again?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Tools

Basically if being used for or in a business then they would be subject to applicable taxes. How many tools and what is the value?

Read this link

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-2-1-eng.html
Old Oct 26th 2019, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

gemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond reputegemmy1203 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the reply I will good read through it.

The value is approximately £3,000 and won’t include any power tools.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemmy1203
Thank you for the reply I will good read through it.

The value is approximately £3,000 and won’t include any power tools.
It will all depend on the CBSA officer who checks the goods to follow list and will decide to either treat them as personal goods or as commercial goods and assess applicable taxes. Worst case scenario it will cost you a few hundred dollars which would be less than replacing them.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Oh I a few hundred dollars will definitely be worth it. To be honest my husband may get a job offer with tools in which case they’ll be for personal use anyway. Thanks for your help.

Old Oct 27th 2019, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

This might be a very naive question ........... but are the tools metric?

Have you checked whether they are suitable for Canadian measurements?
Old Oct 27th 2019, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

They’re all hand tools, pipe cutters and benders etc so it won’t be applicable but I hadn’t even thought of that!
Old Nov 20th 2019, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

yakkiebush is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m also a plumber � ����I would sell his tools in the UK and buy new used tools over in Canada.you. An get some awesome deals in pawn shops.kijiji(gumtree) yard sales etc
Old Nov 20th 2019, 4:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

They’re all hand tools, pipe cutters and benders etc so it won’t be applicable but I hadn’t even thought of that!
Will the cost of shipping them outweigh the cost of replacing? Have you worked out the weight / shipping costs / import duties and taxes v replacement costs? Do bear in mind also, that any tool that requires a safety sticker won't be allowed on a job site in Canada. A friend of my son (a carpenter) bought some of his tools over (non electric) and they refused to allow them on site as they didn't have the Canada Safety sticker on them. He paid a lot of money to ship it all over (Air Transat cargo - on the same flight he was on) plus the cost of transporting it from Toronto and later for an internal flight to Kelowna. He paid even more to ship it all back when he left 4 years later!
Old Nov 24th 2019, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

jeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
might be worth doing some research on diy shop websites .... lowes ... rona ...etc
so far in my diy plumbing i found almost nothing is the same as the UK
cheers
jerry
Old Nov 24th 2019, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Good tradesmen over in North America only use good Quality tools.you never see canadiantire tools on a job site.
plumbers use Ridgid hand tools and Milwaukee caters for the plumbing needs in power tools.
electricins use Klein hand tools,mechanics use snap on.
all these hand tools are US made and up there as some of the best quality in the world.,
pipe beders over in Canada is never used in plumbing over here.very little hot water heating.
water lines are about 60lbs pressure.fittings are used.
plus you’ll have to go back to night school and learn the Canadian plumbing code.
it would be very hard to find good jobs without a Canadian license.
like say l would sell my uk tools and buy what the Canadian
Plumbers are using ,99% of tools are in imperial.fittings and pipe also������

Last edited by yakkiebush; Nov 24th 2019 at 6:52 am.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Just another wee tip if you brought you’re metric benders over here I’m sure you’d never use them .
and not worth nothing on the secondary market.
mechanics on the other hand use metric and imperial.
plumbers.pipefitters.gastitters.electricions all use imperial tools.
wrenches,nutdrivers,etc.
ive a mass of tools 99.9% all imperial.
hope that helps.
ive a bunch of plumbing info for the exam with scores on them if your interested in them you can have them if you want.
i live in Windsor Ontario though.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

I had NO problems with my tools (car tools etc) I did clean them but not overly so,
I only ditched the power tools which would not run on 120v

Hi,

We are in the process of immigrating to Canada under the FST programme as my husband is a plumber.

How do we ship his tools? Having done some research already I understand it’s not particularly easy as they have to be squeaky clean (rightly so) and in a lockable container. Do we have to pay tax or can you pack them with the your personal items etc? Or are we best off just selling them before we go and starting all over again?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Nov 30th 2019, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bother bringing pipe benders, 1. Plumbers don't use them over here. 2. All copper pipe is in imperial sizes. The pipe will not fit in the benders and they will be useless over here. Plus the copper piping here is more rigid then the UK copper piping.

​​​​​​All materials plumbers use are in imperial. Any tools that are non adjustable, it would be pointless to bring them. I would sell them.

Lots of deals over here on power tools. I would just sell them and buy new once arrived.