Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice wanted for Gay Police Officer.

Advice wanted for Gay Police Officer.

Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advice wanted for Gay Police Officer.

Originally Posted by sargie2710
Hello everyone,

I have just registered today after having a look at the vast range of information on here. This website is the most helpful that i have visited, so thank you everybody for posting information!

I am an English, 28 year old Police Officer, living and working in London. I am also gay. My partner is Canadian, currently studying in NB although she is originally from Toronto.

Once my partner graduates from university, she will be coming to live with me in England for 2 years. After that, our intention is to move to Canada (Toronto). Obviously it is no problem for my partner as she is Canadian but with me being English, and a Police Officer, i have found it is not as simple as it first appears to emigrate. Apparently Police Officers do not come under the highly skilled workers and my occupation is also not on "The List" so we are not in high demand. On reading information on the Immigration process it would also appear that i would need a job offer before i can even consider applying for Permanent Resident status.. Also i read that it could take anything between 1-5 years for this process, which means i would probably have to start applying right now! Could anyone shed some light on this please?

I was thinking that probably the most simple way of getting through the immigration process would be for my partner to sponsor me as we would have been living together for over a year by the time i want to apply. I have some concerns with the whole gay thing though. Would we seriously be considered as a couple on the eyes of the immigration people as a couple or would it carry more weight if we had some kind of civil partnership or marriage? I have no doubt that my partner and i will get married some day but i don't really want to rush into it for the sake of immigration.
My final question is that if my partner were to sponsor me, i understand that she would be required, if necessary, to financially support me by law. I'm hoping that i would've already secured a job with Toronto Police by then but if i didn't, would she be required to have a certain amount of funds to prove that she could financially support me?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Hi,

Welcome to BE. Maybe you should try one of the Emigrate shows. I remember going to one last year and the Calgary Police actually had a stand there, and we're recruiting like mad!

Someone we know who was an officer here, joined the Calgary Police and they're loving it!

Here's the link to the Emigrate show: http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/

The will tell you when the next show is and if the Police will be there.

Hope this helps, best of luck

Y
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
And dbd33, I reckon that Calgary is way more 'open and accepting' than Glasgow, Scotland. Imagine standing at George Square at chucking-out time on a Friday night and shouting "I'm a gay English copper!" - then you would see exactly how 'open and accepting' the local neds are...!

My recollection was that the cops themselves would not be that accepting either....
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
And dbd33, I reckon that Calgary is way more 'open and accepting' than Glasgow, Scotland. Imagine standing at George Square at chucking-out time on a Friday night and shouting "I'm a gay English copper!" - then you would see exactly how 'open and accepting' the local neds are...!
Would you get run down by a yahoo in a monster truck?

(Note that I'm not up for a Toronto vs. Calgary argument - someone shouting that in Toronto would be driven over by umpteen tricked up Civics and Evos).
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:49 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

someone shouting that in Toronto would be driven over by umpteen tricked up Civics and Evos).

Or Land Rovers?
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
My recollection was that the cops themselves would not be that accepting either....
The cops in Toronto are the least accepting section of the population and the most likely to have unregistered guns. Cops were the only people to bring class A drugs to a party at my house, everyone else sticks to booze and weed. Their last union leader looked as if he blundered into the job slightly drunk from being in the Sopranos. They're far and away the redneck fringe of society and the presence of a cop sets even white collar workers of colour twitching.

Are the roles reversed in Alberta? Kind and gentle policemen struggling to calm the cowboys and wildcatters? That's not how it looks on Heartland.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
AB's a racist neocon tub thumpers' paradise.
That's why they vote Conservative

Originally Posted by jancal
There are many openly gay people working and living here and with their usual generous and casual way Canadians accept them.

You need to get your facts right and also be nicer to the people of Kelowna who seem to have accepted you with all your many faults.
I bet 99% of the posters on BE have a fault of some kind or other. Mine is that I tend to get irritated by petty arguments both on here and in the real world. I also couldn't care less whether anyone is Gay, Lesbian, Transgendered or wears a Barney suit, openly or in the closet.

To the original poster. There is apparently a thriving GL&T community in Toronto, and Toronto Metro police regularly actively target the community for recruiting new Police recruits. You do definitely have to have Permanant residency or Canadian Citizenship though.

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Funny you should mention Peel. When I still worked at the CHC (OK we're going back a bit now), I met a very senior Peel cop. He was from Croydon.

I don't think he was gay, although he did have a moustache.
Was he one of the Village People?

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Dec 13th 2008 at 10:05 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
someone shouting that in Toronto would be driven over by umpteen tricked up Civics and Evos).

Or Land Rovers?

I don't think Land Rovers are popular in Toronto. Range Rovers more so but among rather conservative people so no, I'd say not. Do you know of some sort of gang/Land Rover connection?
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:23 am

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

My Scottish husband loved the fact you think Glasgow Scotland is more accepting than Calgary and he is still laughing at the fact I am a "redneck". If you only knew
Old Dec 14th 2008, 1:57 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

The comments i've heard since being here around race have raised my eyebrows somewhat - views that probably haven't been aired in public in the UK since Alf Garnet was popular on TV..... I've not however heard anything regarding sexuality, not to say that the general populous doesn't have an opinion on it - maybe it's just too taboo?
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G77
The comments i've heard since being here around race have raised my eyebrows somewhat - views that probably haven't been aired in public in the UK since Alf Garnet was popular on TV..... I've not however heard anything regarding sexuality, not to say that the general populous doesn't have an opinion on it - maybe it's just too taboo?
Alf Garnet! Lol That's going back a little, and yes it does make you cringe at his comments.

Especially as his onscreen son-in-law is the father of "Cherie Blair" the human rights supremo! I'd like to bet they're glad that's all been archived.

"Silly Moo"

Y
Old Dec 14th 2008, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

To sargie2710 - I hope the above ramblings of "he-said, she-said" haven't put you off or frightened you away from posting again.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:18 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sargie2710
Once my partner graduates from university, she will be coming to live with me in England for 2 years. After that, our intention is to move to Canada (Toronto).
Don't wait for the 2 years to be up before you apply. Try to apply as soon as you meet the requirements for common law partner sponsorship.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:14 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Was he one of the Village People?
Only one of them is/was gay, you know.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Only one of them is/was gay, you know.
I didn't know that. Thanks Souv.

How's married life these days?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:27 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Calgary is liberal ? i must live on a different planet then - the locals are not openly racist, as they are far too polite for that, they will quite happily discuss 'the others' when not in their company though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.