Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice wanted for Gay Police Officer.

Advice wanted for Gay Police Officer.

Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

sargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant future
Question Advice wanted for Gay Police Officer.

Hello everyone,

I have just registered today after having a look at the vast range of information on here. This website is the most helpful that i have visited, so thank you everybody for posting information!

I am an English, 28 year old Police Officer, living and working in London. I am also gay. My partner is Canadian, currently studying in NB although she is originally from Toronto.

Once my partner graduates from university, she will be coming to live with me in England for 2 years. After that, our intention is to move to Canada (Toronto). Obviously it is no problem for my partner as she is Canadian but with me being English, and a Police Officer, i have found it is not as simple as it first appears to emigrate. Apparently Police Officers do not come under the highly skilled workers and my occupation is also not on "The List" so we are not in high demand. On reading information on the Immigration process it would also appear that i would need a job offer before i can even consider applying for Permanent Resident status.. Also i read that it could take anything between 1-5 years for this process, which means i would probably have to start applying right now! Could anyone shed some light on this please?

I was thinking that probably the most simple way of getting through the immigration process would be for my partner to sponsor me as we would have been living together for over a year by the time i want to apply. I have some concerns with the whole gay thing though. Would we seriously be considered as a couple on the eyes of the immigration people as a couple or would it carry more weight if we had some kind of civil partnership or marriage? I have no doubt that my partner and i will get married some day but i don't really want to rush into it for the sake of immigration.
My final question is that if my partner were to sponsor me, i understand that she would be required, if necessary, to financially support me by law. I'm hoping that i would've already secured a job with Toronto Police by then but if i didn't, would she be required to have a certain amount of funds to prove that she could financially support me?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice wanted for Gay Police Officer.

Originally Posted by sargie2710
Hello everyone,

I have just registered today after having a look at the vast range of information on here. This website is the most helpful that i have visited, so thank you everybody for posting information!

I am an English, 28 year old Police Officer, living and working in London. I am also gay. My partner is Canadian, currently studying in NB although she is originally from Toronto.

Once my partner graduates from university, she will be coming to live with me in England for 2 years. After that, our intention is to move to Canada (Toronto).
I was thinking that probably the most simple way of getting through the immigration process would be for my partner to sponsor me as we would have been living together for over a year by the time i want to apply. I have some concerns with the whole gay thing though. Would we seriously be considered as a couple on the eyes of the immigration people as a couple or would it carry more weight if we had some kind of civil partnership or marriage? I have no doubt that my partner and i will get married some day but i don't really want to rush into it for the sake of immigration.
My final question is that if my partner were to sponsor me, i understand that she would be required, if necessary, to financially support me by law. I'm hoping that i would've already secured a job with Toronto Police by then but if i didn't, would she be required to have a certain amount of funds to prove that she could financially support me?

You could be sponsored by your partner if you can document your common law relationship. Gender is irrelevant.

No expert, but yes, I believe the sponsor has to take financial responsibility.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:56 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - have you delved into the police forum on here yet (in the working abroad by profession section). You might get some useful info from the folks on there about your profession.

Good luck!
Flossie
Old Dec 13th 2008, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - welcome to BE

I think your research so far would be correct - the sponsorship route by your partner would probably be the quickest one.

Toronto Police, like most others in Canada, currently requires that you are either a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident to qualify for application.

Not sure if you have found it, but there is a section of this forum solely aimed at police queries. Some may not be relevant - but worth a read when you've got a spare hour or three

Link here.

Good luck.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

sargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant future
Post Re: Advice wanted for Gay Police Officer.

Thank you all...

I didn't realise there were occupation forums on here too. I'll check that out now. I also heard somewhere that i would need to be a PR before applying but i wasn't too sure. I thought that because i'm already a Police Officer i could just transfer over without having to do all of the basic training stuff. Obviously not..

I guess that the sponsor route will definitely be the best idea for me then. I've read lots of other posts regarding common law applications and it seems pretty straight forward. I'm going to start documenting my relationship with my partner from now on and definitely get joint bank accounts when she gets here.

Thanks again
Old Dec 13th 2008, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sargie2710
I thought that because i'm already a Police Officer i could just transfer over without having to do all of the basic training stuff. Obviously not..
'Fraid not! In fact, Toronto Police specifically say that applications from international recruits are welcomed but will not be treated any differently from anyone else's. And then there's that old issue of citizenship or residency!

Most police services across the country are like this. Edmonton Police are still recruiting UK officers (under something called the provoncial nominee programme), and Calgary Police have not completely shut the door either after heavily recruiting for experienced international officers over the past year or so. However, Calgary Police have been trying to do more local recruiting - but would still 'assess' your resume if you sent it in. If you appear to be of interest to them, I understand that then they might ask you to forward the completed application forms.

But if Alberta is not of interest to you, that isn't much help

The only thing I can suggest is that once you get immigration/sponsorship forms submitted and in the system, contact Toronto Police and chat up someone in the recruiting department. The processing of police applications seems to take a long time anyway - so perhaps you could 'apply' and start the assessment "with a view to having Permanent Residency any month now" ?! You won't know till you ask.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:05 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
But if Alberta is not of interest to you, that isn't much help
I'd hope it wasn't for the OP's sake, AB is not exactly a hot bed of liberalism and cuddly open mindedness is it ?

Vancouver police, North Van, West Van, Abbotsford police, etc. Maybe worth a try as they have been recruiting like mad and I relly don't think they are getting much fresh meat.

R.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
I'd hope it wasn't for the OP's sake, AB is not exactly a hot bed of liberalism and cuddly open mindedness is it ?

Vancouver police, North Van, West Van, Abbotsford police, etc. Maybe worth a try as they have been recruiting like mad and I relly don't think they are getting much fresh meat.

R.
Yea to be Gay in much of Alberta is just to be a happy chappie...(or chapess)...oppossed to being 'Gay'..
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:11 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

R.
So full of crap - when were you last in Alberta
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:15 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jancal
So full of crap - when were you last in Alberta
So AB's liberal, open minded and fluffy now, is it ? Wow it changed quickly then. Every uptight cranky neo-con bible bashing "family values" thumptub thickie must have been shipped out to Kelowna over the past decade then.

AB's a racist neocon tub thumpers' paradise. Get over it.

R.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So AB's liberal, open minded and fluffy now, is it ? Wow it changed quickly then. Every uptight cranky neo-con bible bashing "family values" thumptub thickie must have been shipped out to Kelowna over the past decade then.

R.
My, even I find that a bit over the top. Well done, that man.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:27 pm

R.
You really have no clue whatsoever do you? I said when were you last in Alberta? Oh, that's right you have probablly never been here. Calgary is extremely liberal much more than any place I lived in including London. There are many openly gay people working and living here and with their usual generous and casual way Canadians accept them.

You need to get your facts right and also be nicer to the people of Kelowna who seem to have accepted you with all your many faults.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:29 pm
Lotus-eater

Calgary is extremely liberal.
OMFGG !!!!!!!! Delusionalism.

R.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:33 pm

OMFGG !!!!!!!! Delusionalism.

R.
No just live in Calgary and can comment first hand. You really need to get out more instead of making rash comments with no actual facts on which to base them on. Take another drag and think about it.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 5:40 pm
Lotus-eater

Take another drag and think about it.
You wouldn't know liberal if it kissed you on the ass.

R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.