Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on Smallholding in Ottawa-area

Advice on Smallholding in Ottawa-area

Old Jul 8th 2012, 12:38 pm
Banned

Antt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Smallholding in Ottawa-area

I am contemplating renting a parcel of land (perhaps 3 to 5 acres) to run as a small-holding basis withint 30 minutes of so of central Ottawa.

I do not need the income but would operate the land on a "hobby" basis.

My primary aim is to be able to grown a selection of fruits and vegetables not readily available in suffcient quantity and sufficient variety locally. Various rhubarbs, sour berries (goose, for example), and squashes will be top of my list - both for my own consumption (considerable!) but also for possible sale.

And advice on localitites where there might be a community of like-minded small-holders.

I may also branch into chickens, but not intially.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:13 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Advice on Smallholding in Ottawa-area

OMG here we go again....you have to be joking.....have you ever been to Canada!
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:18 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if this is not one of our 'regular' contributors having a laugh ?
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:21 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pdarwin
I wonder if this is not one of our 'regular' contributors having a laugh ?
Just a polite troll
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:58 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antt
I am contemplating renting a parcel of land (perhaps 3 to 5 acres) to run as a small-holding basis withint 30 minutes of so of central Ottawa.

My primary aim is to be able to grown a selection of fruits and vegetables not readily available in suffcient quantity and sufficient variety locally. Various rhubarbs, sour berries (goose, for example), and squashes will be top of my list - both for my own consumption (considerable!) but also for possible sale.

And advice on localitites where there might be a community of like-minded small-holders.

Maybe you should consider growing rhubarb hydroponically ! They do that with cucumbers.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 5:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antt

If something is not being produced commercially, there may be a reason (not enough demand).

In BC, not sure about elsewhere, chicken and egg production is controlled by quota. Other than a few backyard chickens, you cannot sell commercially without quota.

Do it for fun and I guess it would work, although 3+acres for fun? You'd need one hell of a freezer.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

I helped my father to run a small market garden in the UK. It was no fun at all and in Canada it is an excellent way to age prematurely or to go insane (assuming you are sane to start with). The amount of work is incredible. Here are a few questions to ponder.
1. How do you plan to cultivate your 3-5 acres? You'll need some heavy duty equipment to prepare and maintain the area.
2. I hope you love weeding. You will have lots of that to keep you occupied 24/7 all summer.
3. Much of your produce will mature over a very short period. Harvesting and processing it will be far more than you can handle alone.
4. Getting your stuff to market will probably mean you have to get up at about 3 a.m. And you'll need cold storage facilities and a truck.
Apart from these rather basic issues, you might find gooseberry picking a bit of a chore unless you get a thornless variety. However, with a bit of luck, your gooseberries, blackcurrants, and jostaberries will all be stripped bare by gooseberry sawfly larvae long before they get a chance to produce any fruit. I assume you'd want everything to be chemical-free so you would never even consider showering several kilos of Rotenone all over the little green buggers
Cheers!
Old Jul 8th 2012, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

You could also use some of the space to set up a breeding facility for polar cats.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:42 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
I assume you'd want everything to be chemical-free so you would never even consider showering several kilos of Rotenone all over the little green buggers Cheers!
You won't have a lot of choice in Canada, pesticide regulations as worse than the price of cheese. Labels are very restrictive, fines high for misuse and few registered fro fruit and veggies.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:39 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to start a small holding you'll need to invest in some hydroponics, a large generator, a pickup truck with raised suspension and couple large dogs, rottweilers or pitbulls preferably. You'll also need a shaver to keep your scalp shiny.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Between Ottawa and the Quebec border (about 130km away) it's pretty much all "smallholdings" and large 100 acre plus farms. Have a look on www.realtor.ca and I'm sure you'll find something.... but as others have indicated, do a bit of research!
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:40 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Can't offer any advice on the location but can offer some reflections based on relevant observations witnessed elsewhere in Canada:

There's probably no better way than to sell your "various rhubarbs" than from a lobster fishing boat.

Play some loud Nickelback from the boat, to attract the punters. Have your staff exhibit a sexy squash party atmosphere to help market the "fun" that all homegrown rhubarb, fruit and vegetable consumers should feel entitled to.

Just bear in mind though, that once the party is over, the growing season is also over for another 9-10 months. Cats, polar or not, then become coyote snacks, so cannot be relied upon as a source of food. The bears move in from the mountains (in Ottawa that literally means inside your house, as in Goldilocks and the Three bears and you're their Goldilocks bitch, bitch). And the worst of it, to feed the family, you have no choice but to go begging from those more entitled to the produce from the local seal club.

However, to paraphrase the great Canadian Tire, embrace the adventure with all available limbs and do it for the kids, they deserve it.