Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Questions about Canada

Questions about Canada

Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:47 pm
Banned

Antt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about Canada

I have some questions that some of you who have "been-there'done-that" might be able to help me with. Much appreciated.

(1) Do many people speak english in Ottawa? Or is it totally French?

(2) Can I buy oranges and other 'sunny' fruits in Ottawa in the winter? And if so, how much would a large orange (navel) be?

(3) Is the TV in Ottawa exactly the same as the TV in England? Or do they have their own TV programs just for Canadians?

(4) Do cats like living in Ottawa in the winter? Or do they basically freeze to death if they have to go outside for more than 10 minutes?

Much appreciated.

Antt
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:12 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about Canada

Hi

Originally Posted by Antt
I have some questions that some of you who have "been-there'done-that" might be able to help me with. Much appreciated.

(1) Do many people speak english in Ottawa? Or is it totally French?

(2) Can I buy oranges and other 'sunny' fruits in Ottawa in the winter? And if so, how much would a large orange (navel) be?

(3) Is the TV in Ottawa exactly the same as the TV in England? Or do they have their own TV programs just for Canadians?

(4) Do cats like living in Ottawa in the winter? Or do they basically freeze to death if they have to go outside for more than 10 minutes?

Much appreciated.

Antt
1. Pretty well bilingual, English everywhere.
2. Yes, it is about 4" across.
3. Obviously not, it is a different country.
4. When it is really cold, you keep them inside.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:12 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Much appreciated.

Antt
People in the cold parts of Canada generally have the unique Canadian pet, the polar cat, as pets. At some point in the past 300 years polar bears were mixed with cats, so they have a lot of cat-like features, whilst also having the surviving-in-artic features of polar bears. I'd recommend you get one of those. It'd be much happier an Ottawa than an English cat.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:18 pm
Banned

Well I already have two cats and they're not polar, they're ginger. And normally they don't like the cold, even in england. I don't really want to kill htem just to buy some new polar ones.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
People in the cold parts of Canada generally have the unique Canadian pet, the polar cat, as pets. At some point in the past 300 years polar bears were mixed with cats, so they have a lot of cat-like features, whilst also having the surviving-in-artic features of polar bears. I'd recommend you get one of those. It'd be much happier an Ottawa than an English cat.
They are not very good mousers though. However, they are brilliant if you get an infestation of small seals.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:19 pm
Banned

Kiwi tinks I should kill my cats and start agin with some polar ones. But I like my cats. Do you think seals will be a problem in Ottawa, in the rivers?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:20 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Kiwi tinks I should kill my cats and start agin with some polar ones. But I like my cats. Do you think seals will be a problem in Ottawa, in the rivers?
I like you Antt.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:21 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

No seals, but full of walruses.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:24 pm
Banned

Thats rubbish.

Bu there might be seals in the river? Or is that crazy? There are deer near where I live in England and they just run round wherever they want.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 7:29 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to the cats, I'm OK thank heavens Antt because I have one of the Polar ones, but am somewhat worried about the other two more whimpy numbers - I'm scared I may be trapped under The duvet under a couple of moaning moggies till springtime!
Old Jul 8th 2012, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, polar cats sound great! So tell me, are they big like polar bears, or small like cats? If small, do they look quite like polar bears? That would be awesome!
Old Jul 8th 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

I can't believe someone answered these questions seriously!!
Old Jul 8th 2012, 1:38 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
Stick around, these are typical questions that get asked in this forum...

You can't knock someone for answering, believe me, we've all answered our fair share of idiotville queries...
Old Jul 8th 2012, 1:42 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Please, don't anyone class this as 'British Humor'
Old Jul 8th 2012, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The other question is do the people who ask these questions believe our answers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.