Reload this Page >

Advice on reccie trip

Advice on reccie trip

Old Dec 10th 2008, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

mandy01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Advice on reccie trip

Hi Everyone,

Could anyone please help us with any advice on a forthcoming trip to Canada. My OH is planning a trip in late Feb to basically go a job hunting!

We would just like other peoples advice and experiences on the best way to do things. Do we contact agencies, do we just cold call companies prior to him going? etc etc.

One thing that is worrying us a little at the moment, OH is in sales/ manufacturing here in the UK, and there have been threads on here about a 'recession' in Canada so maybe we may need to put the trip off for a couple more months

We are looking to move to Alberta

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 10th 2008, 6:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on reccie trip

Have a read of this which may help.............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Scouting_Trip-Canada
Old Dec 10th 2008, 6:26 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandy01
We would just like other peoples advice and experiences on the best way to do things. Do we contact agencies, do we just cold call companies prior to him going? etc etc.
All of the above. Network as much as you can prior to arriving, fix up appointments (formal, or informal) and do all you can to have names and faces to meet.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 6:36 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

As others have said, network, and a bit more and a bit more

Email and phone people from here in the uk, if they dont respond do it again when you actually arrive on your trip.

Look to convert your CV into a resume and take plenty of copies.

We went through yell.ca to get a list of all potential companies and used this to then drive round and cold call on places to drop the resume in. Quite often people would have a chat and show us round etc.

We found it was very much a case of who knows who as far as jobs going etc and face to face contact was definitely the most productive

Good luck
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:44 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's much doubt that Canada is now in a recession.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

kmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to all

Hi my OH and i went on recci at end of aug, we had been to the EXPO08 prior to this and signed upto a newsletter of recent jobs that come out they email it avery 6weeks ish. ive tried to copy the link but cant so if you want to email me privately- i can forward it to you. its free to sign up.

i had a 15 min telephone interview with a particular agency- her PA forwarded me the contract and a copy of the fee's for each step of the way if i was going to use - i would only use them as a last resort unless money is of no object!!!! they are very expensive and i found out just as many contacts without having to use one.

i also went on google.ca and just googled the canadian newspapers- they list jobs there- althought this is time consuming.

i dont know if you have been to an EXPO- but the last one focussed primarily on recruiting to alberta- my friend is a nurse and her husband is an accountant for BT- they got some really good advice and made some contacts.

regards and good luck
k
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your replies.

Does anyone have a list of what all the abbreviations that are used on this site actually stand for? It doesn't take much to get me confused!

Also...... whilst we are in the process of 'job hunting' should we be actually applying for any visas in the meantime as I thought I had read somewhere that it looks good to potential employers that you are moving the process along

Thank You.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your replies.

Does anyone have a list of what all the abbreviations that are used on this site actually stand for? It doesn't take much to get me confused!

Also...... whilst we are in the process of 'job hunting' should we be actually applying for any visas in the meantime as I thought I had read somewhere that it looks good to potential employers that you are moving the process along

Thank You.
You really, really need to read the Wiki!! On blue bar at top of page.

Firstly, there's an article on abbrieviations in it which will help. And once you've read it you'll understand that you need a job offer first, then the visa follows, there is no way of applying for one until you have a job lined up - unless you qualify for a Skilled Worker visa or another kind i.e. family sponsorship.

Oh go on then, I'm feeling nice so here are the links you need to get started:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadian_Abbreviations

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 12th 2008 at 2:00 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Christmasoompa!!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you Christmasoompa!!
No probs, hope it helps. I know what it's like when you first start, you get lost in an 'immigration fog' and don't see how you'll ever understand it all but the Wiki will really help.

Have fun reading.