Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help with work permits.

Help with work permits.

Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Mrbadguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with work permits.

My husband and i and kids are flying out to vancouver Canada on the 20th January. My husband is having 4 interviews, and we obviously are hoping that one is going to work out.

My question is, can we apply for work permits while in canada? Our immigration consultant Shadi Norman says we can, but i have read different. Any advice would be much appreciated.

We are giving up so much to make this work out, but can't seem to get any consistent answers, and are so worried we are going to end up with nothing.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with work permits.

You can apply for work permits whilst in Canada, but you might not be able to do it within the timeframe you have got. Even assuming he gets one of the jobs straight away, Canadians can be somewhat 'relaxed' about recruitment (i.e. slow!) and that coupled with the time it takes to get the LMO may mean that your six months as a visitor could be up before you get everything in order to apply for TWP. Plus if he's in an occupation that will need a medical that will delay things further by a few months.

You could apply for an extension of visitor permit once the 6 months are up but it's not guaranteed it will be granted.

This Wiki article may be of use.............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada

Good luck, hope his interviews go well.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:34 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mrbadguy
My husband and i and kids are flying out to vancouver Canada on the 20th January. My husband is having 4 interviews, and we obviously are hoping that one is going to work out.

My question is, can we apply for work permits while in canada? Our immigration consultant Shadi Norman says we can, but i have read different. Any advice would be much appreciated.

We are giving up so much to make this work out, but can't seem to get any consistent answers, and are so worried we are going to end up with nothing.
Sorry to say it again but in these times proceed with caution and do not burn all your bridges at home in order to come over. Work permits may be given out on a limited basis. Even if employers want you the immigration services may not grant as many as they have been doing.

Gets lots of advice but I do wish you all the very best of luck
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Mrbadguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Do any of you also have any advice about getting through customs at the airport? How hard is it? We are going out there for initially 3 months, just as a holiday, and my husband is having the interviews as well. We teach our kids from home anyway, so should we foresee any issues with that? We also have £6000 to live on and have our accommodation booked.