Advice on order :D

Old Sep 23rd 2017, 11:49 am
Just Joined

billyspud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on order :D

Hi Guys and Girls,

My name is billy,
and we are moving to Canada in the next year or so,
i was just putting this out there as i might be rushing and worrying about things
i am hoping to move me my partner and baby over from the UK,
i have agreed i shall most likely go over first to start with the building of base to move my daughter into,

as i have looked that i need a bank account to move GBP to CAD but i wont have an address to register my account i would prefer to buy a property over renting.

also changing driving licence and need SID i think it called but where do i start!

and when is best to get my stuff shipped over when we have secured a home or keep in storage and my last worry is health Insurance.

can any of this be sorted while in the UK waiting for the sale of my home?

thank you in advance

Billy & Family
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on order :D

Billy, What visa are you looking to move over on? Until this is sorted everything else is moot.
do you have a job to go to? Are you just looking at going over and then finding a job? If so , I fear you will be disappointed. It is not possible to say "I'm moving to Canada" . go , find a job and then bring the family. immigration is MUCH more complicated than that. give us a bit more info - your age, occupation, experience etc and folk here will try and advise you. I presume you are a British Citizen??
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

billyspud is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry i have sent off my express entry for PR and have been invited just send off proof of funds and applications fees so its like step 2 now i dont have a job hoping to go before family to secure a job and get started.

but i understand i need to do stuff in order of get a job like SID and Bank account.

i am 26 and i work as an IT engineer hoping to move around the Toronto area,
and yes all the family are British Citizens

Thank you for your response
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Do stuff " ? Like get a visa ?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

mahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Canadian adventure

Getting PR sorted is the main thing before worrying about anything else.
As for property, I'd recommend renting to begin. If you're going to buy, as you mentioned Toronto, then you'd most likely be limited to apartments/condo's. If you're looking to buy a house then you'll need some capital. I rent in Etobicoke (the little space between Toronto and Mississauga) and they sell some glorified shacks for $1m
Banking and many of the other essentials are very easy to sort once you're here!
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:06 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

What's an SID?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
What's an SID?
SocialInsuranceDataNumberythingy?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
SocialInsuranceDataNumberythingy?
I thought maybe something that requires a medical report?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I thought maybe something that requires a medical report?
In Quebec, bien sur.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:28 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billyspud
Sorry i have sent off my express entry for PR and have been invited just send off proof of funds and applications fees so its like step 2 now i dont have a job hoping to go before family to secure a job and get started.

but i understand i need to do stuff in order of get a job like SID and Bank account.

Hi Billy
As has already been pointed out, until you have a valid visa to work, the rest of the things you've alluded to needing are largely academic.There are lots of criteria that must be met before a visa is granted. Unfortunately visas these days are hard to acquire. How did you get on with language tests, qualification assessments etc? Do you have a CRS score already?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billyspud

Presumably you have looked at the requirements to register with PEO in order to work as an 'Engineer'. Without approval from PEO you will not be able to call yourself an engineer or practice as an engineer without a P.Eng signing off your work.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 12:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Presumably you have looked at the requirements to register with PEO in order to work as an 'Engineer'. Without approval from PEO you will not be able to call yourself an engineer or practice as an engineer without a P.Eng signing off your work.
Is PEO certification a requirement for IT? I realise 'Engineers' are very keen to protect their designation, but there are 'engineers' who don't require PEO certification, such as Power Engineers, Operating Engineers, Stationary Engineers, Software Engineer and the like.

@ the OP

Whilst "engineer" is a common term in the UK for many professions, "IT Engineer" probably has a different designation in Canada. You can find more on the jobbank website (click on the tabs for other info) https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/report-eng...atedOccupation - you'll also see that IT Analyst is a regulated industry, so you may want to check with the Provincial body to ascertain whether you will need certification in order to work.

The I.S.P. and the International Network Association | Canada's Association of Information Technology Professionals may also be of use.

Once you have received your COPR and "landed" (at the airport or a border if coming from abroad) to validate your Permanent Residency, you'll be able to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) at the airport or at Service Canada. Once you have that, you'll be able to open a bank account in Canada (there are 'newcomer' packages offered by all the banks) so that you can transfer funds from the UK.

You might find this "to do" list helpful

To Do Lists-Canada : British Expat Wiki

and the general 'help" for moving over wiki articles: Category:Moving Logistics-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 26th 2017 at 12:09 am.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Is PEO certification a requirement for IT? I realise 'Engineers' are very keen to protect their designation, but there are 'engineers' who don't require PEO certification, such as Power Engineers, Operating Engineers, Stationary Engineers, Software Engineer and the like.

@ the OP

Whilst "engineer" is a common term in the UK for many professions, "IT Engineer" probably has a different designation in Canada. You can find more on the jobbank website (click on the tabs for other info) https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/report-eng...atedOccupation - you'll also see that IT Analyst is a regulated industry, so you may want to check with the Provincial body to ascertain whether you will need certification in order to work.

The I.S.P. and the International Network Association | Canada's Association of Information Technology Professionals

Once you have received your COPR and "landed" (at the airport or a border if coming from abroad) to validate your Permanent Residency, you'll be able to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) at the airport or at Service Canada. Once you have that, you'll be able to open a bank account in Canada (there are 'newcomer' packages offered by all the banks) so that you can transfer funds from the UK.

You might find this "to do" list helpful

To Do Lists-Canada : British Expat Wiki

and the general 'help" for moving over wiki articles: Category:Moving Logistics-Canada : British Expat Wiki

It really depends if you want to use the title 'Engineer' if you use the title without registration you are in contravention of the engineers and geoscientists act and would likely receive a cease and desist letter from PEO.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 12:26 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
It really depends if you want to use the title 'Engineer' if you use the title without registration you are in contravention of the engineers and geoscientists act and would likely receive a cease and desist letter from PEO.
Not if you are a Stationary Engineer, Power Engineer, Locomotive Engineer etc., sorry - they all have Certificates of Qualification (some issued by a Provincial body).

NOC 2011 - 9241 - Power engineers and power systems operators - Unit group

NOC 2011 - 2147 - Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers) - Unit group

NOC 2011 - 2173 - Software engineers and designers - Unit group

NOC 2011 - 7361 - Railway and yard locomotive engineers - All examples

Old Sep 26th 2017, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
On software engineers you need to be very careful. PEO have taken an official position on this and do not differentiate.
Software Engineering

There are cases (Quebec Engineers vs Microsoft) of provincial bodies winning court cases due to the use of the title 'Engineer'

Quebec Order of Engineers wins legal battle with Microsoft - Canadian Consulting Engineer

I am not sure where the case is right now but this will continue to be a hot topic going forward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.