Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for newcomers from an oldcomer!!!

Advice for newcomers from an oldcomer!!!

Old Jul 8th 2004, 12:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sukhi
Do you think though, that there is a 'them and us' invert snobbery developing relating to the newcomers and second (or even third/forth etc for that matter) generation Canadians?
If there is I havent experienced it, but then I am a white european immigrant, so I am guessing I am less likely to be on the receiving end?

Iain
Old Jul 8th 2004, 12:47 pm

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

No, sorry I meant from Canadians toward any newcomer irrespective of ethnicity.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sukhi
No, sorry I meant from Canadians toward any newcomer irrespective of ethnicity.
Like I said, I havent experienced it, but I suspect that there is an element of racism towards some coloured minorities. I guess this is not so much based on the fact they are immigrants as much as on race. But then there are predudiced idiots wherever you go in the world, so i dont think Canada is deserving of any special mention in that respect.

Most places I go, people hear my accent, and once I explain that I am not Australian or South African they ask a few questions about the royal family, the rain and the high cost of living. Ssometimes they are interested how I ended up in a relativly low profile part of canada. I think often they are genuinely pleased that there hometown is nice enough to attract people from abroad, but maybe that is just my spin on it, either way my background is not an issue in any way, but that could be the benefit of being in a small community where there are not thousands of immigrants.

Iain
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

We've had exactly the same thing. Australian, South African, New Zealand and in one case Italian.....who'd have thought it?? People here are just curious, those who aren't just get on with their stuff. The only time I've spoken to someone about the royal family was when Edward came to Regina last year....boy did he have a small turnout! The only downside is that sometimes we have mis-communications occuring. Personally I have experienced more raceism in Cornwall than (none) in Canada.

Originally posted by iaink
Like I said, I havent experienced it, but I suspect that there is an element of racism towards some coloured minorities. I guess this is not so much based on the fact they are immigrants as much as on race. But then there are predudiced idiots wherever you go in the world, so i dont think Canada is deserving of any special mention in that respect.

Most places I go, people hear my accent, and once I explain that I am not Australian or South African they ask a few questions about the royal family, the rain and the high cost of living. Ssometimes they are interested how I ended up in a relativly low profile part of canada. I think often they are genuinely pleased that there hometown is nice enough to attract people from abroad, but maybe that is just my spin on it, either way my background is not an issue in any way, but that could be the benefit of being in a small community where there are not thousands of immigrants.

Iain
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lizwil98
The thing that annoys me because I think it gives Canada a bad name, seems to be that when potential immigrants get advice from the Canadian government as to their job prospects, it seems like everything is painted with rose coloured spectacles!!

Here's some additional (pdf) info from the Conference Board of Canada regarding employability. Education and experience are not the only criteria.

http://www.conferenceboard.ca/educat...fs/esp2000.pdf
Old Jul 9th 2004, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Being here 5 years, I have found it very hard to make friends. I've made one or two 'work friends' but nothing that really develops outside of work.

And yes, it's damn hard to even get people to let me into their tiny little universe. I don't want to blame 'Canadians' as the people here are so diverse, but most people here are just rude!

It's a horrible thing to say, but in my gut, I do feel that half the problem is the high density of Russian, Italian in my area who seem very cliquey. They never say Hi or return a smile, let alone encourage a conversation.

I didn't feel this way 5 years ago but over the past 18 months or so I feel that it would be better if I moved house to a more 'English speaking' area... The only friend I've really managed to make is a husband of one of my wife's friends (and he's Scottish - I'm a Bournemouth lad) and he is a wonderful guy but doesn't live close enough for good pubbing etc.

Maybe I'm not likeable enough?! Seriously, how do I know? Quite honestly, I want to move back to the UK but will just stay and grin & bear it cos I would hate to move wife and our 3 young kids away from their family here.

Last edited by jonthelad; Jul 9th 2004 at 4:12 am.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 6:46 am

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jonthelad
Being here 5 years, I have found it very hard to make friends. I've made one or two 'work friends' but nothing that really develops outside of work.

And yes, it's damn hard to even get people to let me into their tiny little universe. I don't want to blame 'Canadians' as the people here are so diverse, but most people here are just rude!

It's a horrible thing to say, but in my gut, I do feel that half the problem is the high density of Russian, Italian in my area who seem very cliquey. They never say Hi or return a smile, let alone encourage a conversation.

I didn't feel this way 5 years ago but over the past 18 months or so I feel that it would be better if I moved house to a more 'English speaking' area... The only friend I've really managed to make is a husband of one of my wife's friends (and he's Scottish - I'm a Bournemouth lad) and he is a wonderful guy but doesn't live close enough for good pubbing etc.

Maybe I'm not likeable enough?! Seriously, how do I know? Quite honestly, I want to move back to the UK but will just stay and grin & bear it cos I would hate to move wife and our 3 young kids away from their family here.
I understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately, this aspect of ethnic aloofness for want of a better term, is not just with the Russians Italians etc, but with all groups including my own (indians). To some extent this is a defence mechanism which offers a level of security because in a strange country you need that reassurance of familiarity. In fairness there is also a sense of not wanting to mix either, in order to retain culture and traditions, but I think this is common with any immigrant group of all nationalities in any country.

I did find some level of rudeness from some eastern european people, but again it's a cultural thing, even in the UK, one does not radically change ones social skills, and way of living when moving to a different country, I still get annoyed at my people who don't seem to say thanks if you give them way, or do them a courtesy, but to them they are not aware of this social grace. But the new generations change and adapt to their adopted country.

I am saddened though that you feel this level of isolation, and this is compounded when you are thousands of miles away from your own family and old friends.
Maybe the other posters could come up with some advice.

I wish you and yours well.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 2:20 am
Glaswegian

I have heard it said that the Brit accent "sounds" angry and rude whatever you may actually be saying. So to play devil's advocate here - is it possible that these Canadians are responding before they actually listen to the words?

And yes before I'm asked we too have experienced some very rude Canadians. The school experiences above are very similar to ours. One group of Moms even "sent my wife to Coventry" because she had the cheek to report quite a serious bullying incident. Fortunately the bully's Mom moved out of area and did not return for the following year.

Old Jul 11th 2004, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

..probably should have started a completely new thread but why do you think that schools here are unfriendly places for the parents?

In most cases it is pretty much a guarantee in the UK that you will meet people through your kids school so why is it not the same here? Having read numerous postings now it seems to be the same wherever you are from in Canada. Schools are normally friendly places!

I do intend to keep giving it a go at our elementary school even if it gets me nowhere.........

JJ
Old Jul 11th 2004, 6:19 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by stepnek
I've been building up for some time to have a little vent at all the criticisms aimed at Canada on this board and it's just about time. I mean for goodness sake no one is forced into moving to Canada and as far as I know everyone gets to choose whether they go and indeed whether they leave. But coming back after three months? What's the point in that? It doesn't matter how bad things might be if anyone leaves after three months, well it's a complete waste of time ever going there to start with. I can't get my head around the fact that people leave a good job, nice house, friends and family and then somehow think it's going to better elsewhere across the ocean. Why would they think it's going to be instant paradise? How can it be when such a lot has been left behind. It stands to reason that it's going to take a lot of time before a person can feel really settled in a new country. My in-laws moved to Canada in 1975 and my mother-in-law hated it but she stuck with it because she believed that long term it would be the right move, they believed in all the original reasons they had for going. These days she enjoys her visits back to the UK but loves Canada and is so happy that she stayed through the difficult times and has a life she loves.

Sometimes when I read all this negative stuff about Canada I wonder what it's all about. For Canadians it must be like having someone gatecrash your home uninvited and then start criticizing your hospitality. My wife is Canadian and a more pleasant, warm friendly person you could not meet. She has an independent spirit and you know what? I don't think she's the only Canadian like that.

I don't believe that there's anything new under the sun and life is made up by all kinds of people. No doubt there are bad immigration experiences in Canada but there are good ones too and that should be remembered.
Very well stated Stepnek.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 6:28 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by michele
I agree having only been here for 6 weeks myself I have founs the majority of Canadiand rude and ignorant hopefully it will improve in time when the girls start school in September, if i don't make any friends it wont be from trying
Sure, viewing the majority of Canadians (that you have met) as "rude and ignorant" clearly shows that it can't possibly be anything about you that has made it a little difficult to make friends here - it's all our shortcomings.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jul 12th 2004 at 4:36 am.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Default Making friends

Hello,

I've been in Toronto for 3 years now, infact 3 years in a couple of days.

The first 6 months to a year were probably the hardest of my life! It was such a struggle to remain positve and sane as I didn't have a work visa at that point, no friends and was cooped up inside an apartment every day. When you feel like that it is very hard to have a positive view of Canada and Canadians alike.

The turning point for me was realising that sitting on my arse and doing nothing to remedy the situation was not helping in the least. I realised that I wouldn't make friends if I wasn't willing to put in extra effort to get to know people. It is up to the newcomer to make the first move with people, they already have their group of friends and therefore aren't likely to make as much effort with you. You have to remember how you were in the U.K, did you make an effort with someone new? Probably not much beacuse you didn't really need another friend.

I'm not into the whole church thing, so didn't bother with that. I found an expat group in Toronto and now have a group of friends from that. For a while I also took French and Yoga classes and met some people through that, although I didn't stay in touch with any of them. I also went back to school and met some friends through that and we hang out. Now I've been working for about 3 months, I have met a couple of people in the office that are friends, we go out for lunch etc.

So now I feel like I know quite a few people, but remember this took 3 years, not 3 months. I'm not particulary out going either, so it can be done even if you are not mr. or mrs extrovert.

I still get homesick though, I don't think that ever really goes away! However the difference in how I feel now to how I felt three years ago is huge. I agree 3 months is not long enough to have made an informed decison.

Int.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Default Making friends

Hello,

I've been in Toronto for 3 years now, infact 3 years in a couple of days.

The first 6 months to a year were probably the hardest of my life! It was such a struggle to remain positve and sane as I didn't have a work visa at that point, no friends and was cooped up inside an apartment every day. When you feel like that it is very hard to have a positive view of Canada and Canadians alike.

The turning point for me was realising that sitting on my arse and doing nothing to remedy the situation was not helping in the least. I realised that I wouldn't make friends if I wasn't willing to put in extra effort to get to know people. It is up to the newcomer to make the first move with people, they already have their group of friends and therefore aren't likely to make as much effort with you. You have to remember how you were in the U.K, did you make an effort with someone new? Probably not much beacuse you didn't really need another friend.

I'm not into the whole church thing, so didn't bother with that. I found an expat group in Toronto and now have a group of friends from that. For a while I also took French and Yoga classes and met some people through that, although I didn't stay in touch with any of them. I also went back to school and met some friends through that and we hang out. Now I've been working for about 3 months, I have met a couple of people in the office that are friends, we go out for lunch etc.

So now I feel like I know quite a few people, but remember this took 3 years, not 3 months. I'm not particulary out going either, so it can be done even if you are not mr. or mrs extrovert.

I still get homesick though, I don't think that ever really goes away! However the difference in how I feel now to how I felt three years ago is huge. I agree 3 months is not long enough to have made an informed decison.

Int.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

fleate is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: making friends

I am a Vancouver-based Canadian who once moved to Toronto for several years, and also lived in the UK for a year. I found the experience of making new friends just the same in Toronto as in the UK. It’s important to remember that, as someone mentioned above, most of the people you see around you—in Canada or the UK—already have an established social network. It takes an extra effort to become part of it.

In my own case, I found that after a year of living in Toronto, although I had a few acquaintances, I still had no friends. As I had registered for an evening class at that point, I made a resolution that, during our breaks, I would (over the course of the semester) open a conversation with every single other person in the class at some point. I made the same resolution regarding a keep-fit class, etc. It seems like a forced and methodical thing to do, but it was effective. One of the women with whom I spoke was a new emigrant, and still learning english; I suggested to her that we could get together occasionally for conversation so she could practise her english with me. She was very pleased, and a friendship grew out of it.

When I moved to the UK, the situation was identical. People were not rushing to my door to become acquainted. In fact, no one knocked on my door at all. Those of you who move to Canada and feel lonely—when you were still in the UK, did you make a habit of seeking out those around you who might be strangers, and making friends with them? Probably not; I sure didn’t before I became one of the “outsiders� myself. So in the UK, I also felt lonely and friendless at first, but tackled it the same way---making the extra effort to (over time) have a conversation with everyone in the class/ or the neighbours close by/ or the runners in the club or whatever.

Now I try to be more sensitive to new arrivals because I better understand what it feels like being a stranger in a new place. I recently met a couple from eastern Canada who had moved here over a year ago. I asked them how they liked Vancouver. Beautiful city, they said—but they felt isolated. I jumped on them! (well, not literally) but tracked them down later, invited them over (which was almost discombobulating for them as we had only met for ten minutes, and they had forgotten my name and what I looked like) and invited them for dinner... and the friendship has taken off. They are absolutely super people, and my life is richer for it.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

fleate is an unknown quantity at this point

Interested,

I just re-read your post above, and see that I have basically repeated exactly what you said! (I had just scanned it before)

Glad to hear that you are feeling at home in Toronto, and that it was worth hangin' in there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.