Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on Car Rental

Advice on Car Rental

Old Aug 18th 2021, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

dogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Car Rental

Originally Posted by Richster64
Hi Dogstar,
Thanks for those comments. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as one might think. In the UK I am still insured through TheAA. After a long time on hold (The 'new normal') the only thing they can send as proof of no-claims is an eMail to me - which does include the pertinent info. I forwarded this to Johnson yesterday along with the policy details, but they say that it is not acceptable as it's just an eMail, not on headed paper. Another 30 minutes to TheAA yesterday and the operative said that's all they do these days. Johnsons want this 'Letter of Experience' and TheAA have never heard of it. Somewhat stuck as the car will be ready this afternoon! Eek!

Good luck finding a cheap-enough rental car, there is a big shortage over here at the moment!
Are you sure they don't want the "certificate of entitlement" from the DVLA that I mentioned in my initial reply? I think that's what they are on about as when I spoke with Johnsons they said proof of no claims in any format is acceptable. I spoke (online chat) with DVLA this morning and ordered both my wife and my certs that should be here via post in 5 working days. They also can fax it also if needed quickly so I think another call to Johnsons is in order IMHO to confirm:-)
Old Aug 18th 2021, 6:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Many bags. Unrested children. Tired, confused, a bit emotional. Hunt for the car rental place. Squash everything into a rental car of unknown format. Find the lights and wipers, in the wrong order, Venture out into heavy traffic on confusing highways on the wrong side of the road. Get trapped into taking the wrong lane, turn around in Brampton. Try again.

Not me, mate. I'd get a limo and have the car delivered to me the next day. The price difference overall might be ten bucks one way or the other and there's no need to arrange a car swap. Limos are fixed priced (+tip) so, if the cost is a worry, you can look it up now.
100% agree, far easier to know that you just have to get through the arrival procedure and then you can relax! Book a limo / private shuttle or similar (see this link for one option, there are many more ) book one in advance, then get Enterprise to collect you the next day to get your rental vehicle (they aren't currently delivering them, but will pick you up to collect).
Old Aug 18th 2021, 9:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dogstar
dbd33 HGerchikov Thanks folks for your sage advice and I think dbd33 summed up all that I had not been thinking about despite my "can-do" spirit. I reckon the limo/van option may well be a goer all things considered. If anyone has any recommendations then happy to take on board and have a chat with them before we get on the plane and I do know that there will be a lot of emotions in play so perhaps a calm ride to our new home will to be a good thing. Thanks again for everyone's advice thus far and I really appreciate the good folk on this forum and hope I can share my learnings with others moving forwards.
Note that you don't make arrangements with a limo company. You join the queue under the sign "LIMO" and take the next one. If a standard limo isn't big enough, the dispatcher radios for a van.