UK Solicitor re-qualifying in Alberta

UK Solicitor re-qualifying in Alberta

Old Aug 18th 2021, 12:46 am
Just Joined

JWill is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation UK Solicitor re-qualifying in Alberta

Hi All,

Hope everyone is keeping well.

I have recently moved to Calgary from the UK with my family. I have been following the forum in the background for a little while now and found it a very helpful source of information throughout our PR application/process of relocation.

I qualified as a Solicitor in the UK in 2015, however I moved into AML Compliance in 2018. Presently, I work in a compliance function at a financial institution and I am looking to requalify as a lawyer in Alberta. I completed all the required NCA exams prior to leaving London. I am now at the final stage of the requalification process which is to obtain an articling position. It seems that finding an articling position is more difficult than the NCA exams. I appreciate that the pandemic and lockdown have increased the difficulty of getting one. I am keen to speak or chat to anyone who has/may know someone who has gone through the process of finding an articling position. Any tips on how to navigate this phase would be very much appreciated.

Thanks All!
Old Aug 19th 2021, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Solicitor re-qualifying in Alberta

Originally Posted by JWill
Hi All,

Hope everyone is keeping well.

I have recently moved to Calgary from the UK with my family. I have been following the forum in the background for a little while now and found it a very helpful source of information throughout our PR application/process of relocation.

I qualified as a Solicitor in the UK in 2015, however I moved into AML Compliance in 2018. Presently, I work in a compliance function at a financial institution and I am looking to requalify as a lawyer in Alberta. I completed all the required NCA exams prior to leaving London. I am now at the final stage of the requalification process which is to obtain an articling position. It seems that finding an articling position is more difficult than the NCA exams. I appreciate that the pandemic and lockdown have increased the difficulty of getting one. I am keen to speak or chat to anyone who has/may know someone who has gone through the process of finding an articling position. Any tips on how to navigate this phase would be very much appreciated.

Thanks All!
Hi

I was in your position around 14 years ago. If you would like to meet up so that I can provide you with some pointers, send me a PM so that we can make the necessary arrangements. I believe you will have to make a couple more posts before your PM is enabled.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Hi

I was in your position around 14 years ago. If you would like to meet up so that I can provide you with some pointers, send me a PM so that we can make the necessary arrangements. I believe you will have to make a couple more posts before your PM is enabled.
Thank you so much Almost Canadian! That is very kind. I think I need 3 posts in order to send a PM. Once I hit that, I would be in touch. Thanks!
Old Aug 19th 2021, 1:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Hi

A very kind and generous offer

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 19th 2021 at 1:43 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
A very kind and generous offer
Pffft AC is/was a lawyer he will find some way of making them pay
Old Aug 19th 2021, 3:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Some ideas on how to find an articliing position here: https://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/resourc...ained-lawyers/

It's a shame you are not in Ontario - it appear the LSO are now supporting 'national and international' articling https://lso.ca/becoming-licensed/law...al-articling-6
Instead of completing a traditional full-time placement with one principal in Ontario, candidates may decide to complete their articling requirement in other ways. Below are explanations of flexible options that the Law Society supports.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Siouxie

I wish the Law Society of Alberta would consider these options as well.