Reload this Page >

Advice on Buying a SUV/Truck

Advice on Buying a SUV/Truck

Old Sep 19th 2015, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Stephen_Flynn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Buying a SUV/Truck

Hi Folks,

I am due to fly over to start work at the beginning of next month. I am in the process of looking for a SUV/Truck. Would i be right in saying that if I buy a vehicle 2006 or newer it will not require a Safety Inspection, and as long as I buy from within Alberta (with an Alberta Inspection completed) I will not require an out of provice inspection carried out?.

TIA
Old Sep 19th 2015, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Buying a SUV/Truck

Read this link

https://www.servicealberta.ca/1743.cfm

Not sure about Alberta but most private sales the seller has to provide a safety certificate. If buying from a dealer they will have had the vehicle safetied before they sell it.
Im assuming you are working in Alberta and buying the vehicle in Alberta.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 3:45 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

A private seller does not have to provide a safety certificate in Alberta, its very much buyer beware and on the buyer to then obtain any safety certs the insurance company may or may not ask for. In many circumstances it is possible to obtain insurance before providing a safety cert. Some sellers will get a safety done if asked especially the way the economy is with private sales having slowed down.

I will say be prepared to look at a lot of vehicles as there is a lot of junk out there.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Stephen_Flynn is an unknown quantity at this point

I am aware that it is a case of buyer beward. But it appears if it is 2006 or newer, I wont need to have a safety inspection completed. And yes, im moving to Claresholm, so will be buying a vehicle within Alberta so I dont need to have an out of province inspection carried out.

I have my eye on a few SUV's/Trucks. Looking at Explorers/F150's at the moment as I want a 4x4 or AWD. Im hoping for something that will last about a year, and by that time we will know whether Canada is for us, or a return to Scotland, without having any finance on a vehicle.

Thanks
Old Sep 20th 2015, 5:44 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Its upto the insurance on safety inspections, in most cases if the vehicle is less than 10 years old you wont need one. And if it is Alberta registered you obviously won't need an OOP. You will find that people selling vehicles will think the are worth the amount of money they have put into them and ones advertised with no rust will quite have obvious rust and I don't think any add will tell you if there is hail damage, as I say be prepared to look at junk
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

I got a 1998 F150 for 2400 when we first arrived. I loved that thing. Cheap on parts and relatively bullet proof. Just make sure you get good tire with a truck as they can be quite expensive.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

4x4 or AWD is no good if you have shite tyres (tires) so keep that in mind

I've never been asked for a safety cert by my insurance, had a 2002, 2006 and a 2009 - now rocking a 2015 F150, quite enjoying that

It is very much buyer beware, and I'd stay away from Kijiji "curbers" as they deal in utter crap that comes from back east for the most part...there are bargains to be had on Kijiji if you know what you're looking for

I've heard it said that if a Honda Civic on winter tires can't handle the weather, then you shouldn't go out anyway...

It's all personal preference at the end of the day...i throw winter tires on everything regardless of drivetrain, but remember that neither 4x4 or good rubber will make you invincible on the road
Old Sep 25th 2015, 5:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
4x4 or AWD is no good if you have shite tyres (tires) so keep that in mind
Surely people don't buy trucks expecting them to have better road holding than cars. The Honda Civic mentioned above will run rings around a pick up in winter.

I like pick ups. I'm glad to have access to one to go to the dump and to shift bales of hay and whatnot. I'd think a pick up essential if I often had to move live pigs around but, horses for courses, on tarmac they're pretty much rubbish for driving (even if you do weight the back down with some hogs).
Old Sep 25th 2015, 10:04 pm

This is something we are trying to teach our daughter, she has it in her head that if she goes to the college an hour away along hwy 2 she needs a truck. She has a set of studded tires for her malibu which are just fine