Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Academic Transcript Scores. I am not an idiot.

Academic Transcript Scores. I am not an idiot.

Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:54 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Academic Transcript Scores. I am not an idiot.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But North American (or at least Canadian) Universities recognize this fact and are also not idiots.

I can't speak for the private sector.
This has not been my experience actually.

Applied for a postgrad certificate course at the U of Ottawa in the evenings. I've got a masters and a BA from two good UK unis. They were not convinced that my degree or masters had high enough grades - in both I had an average of 70+.

Got on the course in the end, but had to miss a year while they worked it all out.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
What always confused me about University marking (for my degree anyway) is that the professor (et al) giving the lectures on a particular element of the degree would also set the exam and mark it. Always seemed a conflict of interest to me...

Sorry, thread drift.
Setting it is one thing, thats a way of keeping the little buggers in line.

Marking, you either design your exams so a machine can do it or you assign some grad student to it. And for upper level courses, you just read the first paragraph and the last and figure the rest of it is pretty much the same.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
This has not been my experience actually.

Applied for a postgrad certificate course at the U of Ottawa in the evenings. I've got a masters and a BA from two good UK unis. They were not convinced that my degree or masters had high enough grades - in both I had an average of 70+.

Got on the course in the end, but had to miss a year while they worked it all out.
That shouldn't have happened. Sorry to hear it did.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Setting it is one thing, thats a way of keeping the little buggers in line.

Marking, you either design your exams so a machine can do it or you assign some grad student to it. And for upper level courses, you just read the first paragraph and the last and figure the rest of it is pretty much the same.
Amusing as usual. But I hope not too accurate.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
What always confused me about University marking (for my degree anyway) is that the professor (et al) giving the lectures on a particular element of the degree would also set the exam and mark it. Always seemed a conflict of interest to me...

Sorry, thread drift.
In England the Law Society moderates all the results each year. The theory was that a 2:1 from Oxbridge, was the same as a 2:1 from everywhere else. How true that is is anyone's guess but a Law Society moderator that I spoke to assured me that it was.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:49 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
In England the Law Society moderates all the results each year. The theory was that a 2:1 from Oxbridge, was the same as a 2:1 from everywhere else. How true that is is anyone's guess but a Law Society moderator that I spoke to assured me that it was.
As I'm sure your Law Society moderator friend knows, there's no such thing as a 2:1 from Oxford. There is of course from Cambridge and such lesser places.

<disclaimer: this information might well be horrendously out of date>.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
As I'm sure your Law Society moderator friend knows, there's no such thing as a 2:1 from Oxford. There is of course from Cambridge and such lesser places.

<disclaimer: this information might well be horrendously out of date>.
Really, what does one get at Oxford then?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Really, what does one get at Oxford then?
They didn't split a 2nd into upper and lower, but think that was only up until the 70s.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 8th 2010 at 10:59 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 11:20 pm
Born again atheist

They didn't split a 2nd into upper and lower, but think that was only up until the 70s.
As I said, I might be a touch out of date, but that was the system up to at least the mid 70's.

Oink, don't tell me they now award PhD's??
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ahhhhhh
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
True!!! To really get em going, tell them our 'A' levels are equivalent to their so called 'undergrad degrees", plus we dont award degrees in any field to candidates who can barely write in English.
My daughter at the University of Bath tells me there are plenty of foreigners who can barely speak English and are also walking away with degrees....
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:14 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by reggiedh
My daughter at the University of Bath tells me there are plenty of foreigners who can barely speak English and are also walking away with degrees....
Not to mention plenty of Brits who can barely speak English, like.