Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Academic Transcript Scores. I am not an idiot.

Academic Transcript Scores. I am not an idiot.

Old Jan 7th 2010, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

youngmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud of
Default Academic Transcript Scores. I am not an idiot.

Dear all,

I have noticed (my girlfriend is a university student) that Canadian academic scores are markedly higher for the same level of achievement than Europe or elsewhere.

I know this is a recognised phenomenon regarding N.America and Europe/Commonwealth but how do I explain that actually i'm not a dunderhead and have done quite well out of University and in Britain would be considered a bit of a swot?

Any resources out there I can point to?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:23 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Academic Transcript Scores. I am not an idiot.

Originally Posted by youngmimesofharlem
Dear all,

I have noticed (my girlfriend is a university student) that Canadian academic scores are markedly higher for the same level of achievement than Europe or elsewhere.

I know this is a recognised phenomenon regarding N.America and Europe/Commonwealth but how do I explain that actually i'm not a dunderhead and have done quite well out of University and in Britain would be considered a bit of a swot?

Sorry can't help as I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:17 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by youngmimesofharlem
Dear all,

I would have thought the only field of employment where transcript scores matter greatly is academia. Profs I know are only too aware of declining standards, and those with international experience will be well-placed to assess your real ability.

Edited to add: try not to spend too much time explaining to Canadians that their universities are sub-standard. I guarantee it won't help.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

My personal experience in non academic and non regulated professions (i.e. not doctors, engineers, lawyers etc. where degree content might be fairly critical) is that no one has asked me to elaborate on my specific degree content or marks etc. My resume just states it under education that I have a BSc honours degree and I think that for most business type jobs if they are looking for a graduate they are just content to see that qualification on the resume but what they really want is to interview you to establish your exprerience and competence and suitability for their business etc. Having the qualification might prevent your resume being trashed but isn't a focus point of the selection unless as mentioned earlier the job requires specific technical qualification like maybe I don't want to hire you as my new nuclear physics technician if you barely passed or focused on astophysics or something.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:46 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr

Edited to add: try not to spend too much time explaining to Canadians that their universities are sub-standard. I guarantee it won't help.

...oh come on, that's half the fun of being here - Canadian baiting. They're on the whole, so earnest and bloody sincere about everything it's screaming out to be done. And that coupled with the politeness/awkwardness thing they have going on means you very rarely get punched in the face.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:30 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering what prompted the question?
Are you having difficulty gaining employment or entering a course due to your academic qualifications not being recognised?

Who are you needing to convince?

(or whom, more correctly...?)
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bsmith
...oh come on, that's half the fun of being here - Canadian baiting. They're on the whole, so earnest and bloody sincere about everything it's screaming out to be done. And that coupled with the politeness/awkwardness thing they have going on means you very rarely get punched in the face.
True!!! To really get em going, tell them our 'A' levels are equivalent to their so called 'undergrad degrees", plus we dont award degrees in any field to candidates who can barely write in English.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:44 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith

I've definitely come close.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

youngmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry i should explain; I don't mean that N.American Universities are below standard but rather that an 'exceptional' mark in a N. American university is 90-99, whereas in a British University you'd be chuffed to bits to get a 70.

I have to present my transcript as part of a selection process for a non-academic scientific post. I don't want them to look at it, compare the marks to an equivalently qualified Canadian, and think my marks are rubbish because they're lower.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience and what they did?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

I've applied for (and been accepted for) a couple of postgrad courses in Ontario, so I've gone down the academic transcript route.
The Canadian universities I've applied to ask for an explanation of grades/ marks etc to be sent with the academic transcript, directly from the university in a sealed envelope (so, untouched by you).
That means that the Canadian university can clearly see the UK (or whatever) marking scheme, so they know what is a high mark in the UK (or wherever) for that course.
So don't worry, you will be given credit where credit is due.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

StephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really nice

American grades are even more inflated than Canadian ones!

This is a huge issue for a lot of people. I am in the study abroad industry in Ireland and many of my Irish faculty refuse to give out grades that match American 'standards'. There are rough conversion schemes out there, but I'm not sure where to start.

Perhaps find a resourse that gives a listing of grades given out in UK universities to show that yours are normal or above average etc. Submit that with your application.

I found this conversion from LSE

78+ is A+
73-78 is A
68-73 is A-
63-68 is B+
58-53 is B

And here's one for Swansea http://www.swan.ac.uk/sao/AcademicIn...GradeTransfer/
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

Individual Universities have their own (though broadly generic) marking systems, and will send those out with the academic transcript, if asked. You might need to speak to the person dealing with academic transcripts, to explain what you want.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

StephenDR.

Thanks so much for the Swansea Chart. That'll do nicely.

I already have my transcript, having needed it before.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:33 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, only a new graduate cares what they were graded at. In the real world of employment its work experience that matters.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
LOL, only a new graduate cares what they were graded at. In the real world of employment its work experience that matters.
Well, sure. But it's a valid concern if you ARE a new graduate. They've got to be differentiated somehow and their degree results are the only thing they have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.