Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

AC London - St John's / Halifax - Bad news / Good news

AC London - St John's / Halifax - Bad news / Good news

Old May 2nd 2006, 7:57 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default AC London - St John's / Halifax - Bad news / Good news

Friggin' Air Canada have decided to drop the St. John's, NL to LHR direct flight from Sept 4th. So if I want to fly home after then I have to fly 1hr 10mins in the wrong direction first.

The good news for anyone travelling into Halifax is that you will no longer have the hassle of getting off and clearing customs/immigration in Newfoundland. I'm pleased for you. Really

AX
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of
Default Re: AC London - St John's / Halifax - Bad news / Good news

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Friggin' Air Canada have decided to drop the St. John's, NL to LHR direct flight from Sept 4th. So if I want to fly home after then I have to fly 1hr 10mins in the wrong direction first.

The good news for anyone travelling into Halifax is that you will no longer have the hassle of getting off and clearing customs/immigration in Newfoundland. I'm pleased for you. Really

AX
What a pain! This was one of the things I enjoyed about going to St John's, the easy flight from Heathrow! Will this make the flights more expensive than they already are?
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:38 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

AX
I guess our flight Heathrow to St John to halifax to Fredericton in July is still the same.... shame Could have done with a direct one to Halifax. We will miss the closest connection at Halifax and have to wait a few hours in the airport.
Old May 3rd 2006, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

susie evans is an unknown quantity at this point

AX
If it's any help Air transat will be running direct flights from Gatwick to Halifax from the 18th May?
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:10 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susie evans
If it's any help Air transat will be running direct flights from Gatwick to Halifax from the 18th May?
Thanks but AC will still be flying from Halifax to LHR. Its the having to fly to Halifax (in the 'wrong' direction) which is the PITA!
Old May 3rd 2006, 2:01 pm
It's Worth Waiting For

Location: Oakworth, West Yorkshire(Nr Haworth, Bronte country)
Julie & Andy will become famous soon enoughJulie & Andy will become famous soon enough

Hi

Yeh I can agree there as Iam on the flight. They fly May to Oct direct from Gatwick to Halifax, and great price too.

HTH

JUlie
Originally Posted by susie evans
Old May 4th 2006, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

AX
Sorry for all you Newfies going to London... but good news for me, I prefer to get into Halifax directly. I took that AC flight 4 weeks ago and it took 3 hours in St. John's to clear customs and check in again - on the same flight number !!
Old May 4th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

AX
You have my sympathy - I drive from my place to Bangor, Maine - in 2hrs.

And go from there!

With regard to your post?

My info I have is a little different?

AC 860 will start from St. John`s NF at 23.55 each evening and arrive at London Heathrow at 08.25.

It will then return as AC 861 departing Heathrow at 11.30 and finish at St. John`s, NF at 13.35 lunch time.

To me that means NF still has a direct flight to the UK???
Old May 4th 2006, 11:44 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
You have my sympathy - I drive from my place to Bangor, Maine - in 2hrs.

And go from there!

With regard to your post?

My info I have is a little different?

AC 860 will start from St. John`s NF at 23.55 each evening and arrive at London Heathrow at 08.25.

It will then return as AC 861 departing Heathrow at 11.30 and finish at St. John`s, NF at 13.35 lunch time.

To me that means NF still has a direct flight to the UK???
AC860 actually starts in Halifax around 21:30 IIRC. The St John's departure is 23:55 as you say. AC are stopping the Newfoundland leg from Sept 4th, dont know what time the revised flight will depart from Halifax (guessing it may be later to keep the same 'slot' time at LHR.) St. John's airport is already looking for a new carrier to take over the route. Fingers crossed! http://www.cbc.ca/nl/story/nf-heathr...-20060503.html

AX
Old May 4th 2006, 2:39 pm
RJH
Forum Regular

RJH is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Julie & Andy
Hi

Yeh I can agree there as Iam on the flight. They fly May to Oct direct from Gatwick to Halifax, and great price too.

HTH

JUlie
I'm going June. Cost me £179 for a single one way ticket.
Old May 5th 2006, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

AC860 actually starts in Halifax around 21:30 IIRC. The St John's departure is 23:55 as you say. AC are stopping the Newfoundland leg from Sept 4th, dont know what time the revised flight will depart from Halifax (guessing it may be later to keep the same 'slot' time at LHR.) St. John's airport is already looking for a new carrier to take over the route. Fingers crossed! http://www.cbc.ca/nl/story/nf-heathr...-20060503.html

AX

Looking at www.expedia.ca it shows AC860 starting from NF at 2355 direct to London (in early 07 for example).
And returning the following day as AC861 arriving NF and finishing there (1335).

According to www.expedia.ca, one can fly direct from NF to London, UK and return also direct to NF.

Yes, it does reveal that it does not start or finish in NS - from next Fall.
Old May 5th 2006, 3:20 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Looking at www.expedia.ca it shows AC860 starting from NF at 2355 direct to London (in early 07 for example).
And returning the following day as AC861 arriving NF and finishing there (1335).

According to www.expedia.ca, one can fly direct from NF to London, UK and return also direct to NF.

Yes, it does reveal that it does not start or finish in NS - from next Fall.

Expedia is wrong. After Sept 4th I can buy a ticket from St Johns to LHR but I have to fly via Halifax (or Toronto!). Mebbe Expedia isnt updated yet. AC's own website does not show the direct flight after Sept 4th. The good thing is that prices seem to remain at the same level as current direct flights. So I get to spend more time on planes but it doesnt cost me anymore.
Old May 5th 2006, 3:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

So I get to spend more time on planes but it doesnt cost me anymore.
That's often the case. My $600 ticket to KL went YYZ-Philadelphia-San Francisco-Taipai-Singapore-KL and the free (on points) ticket to Australia went YYZ-Atlanta-SLC-LA-Seoul-Sydney-Adelaide. I suppose if I could find a $200 fare to China I could sell the house and live out the rest of my days in cattle class.