Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

Originally Posted by jimf
In the USA low taxes equates to minimal welfare. In the UK higher taxes equates to moderate welfare. Canada seems to tax at similar levels to the UK but provide welfare closer to the USA model - so where does the tax money go instead?
This is quite wrong. Although I'd be happier if "welfare" i.e. state responsibility for folk in distress, were even higher in Canada.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is much better to donate cash to the food bank. They have special arrangements to purchase food and on average pay 1/3rd of the shelf price in the supermarket. So, rather than donating a $2 can of vegetables send them $2 and they can buy three cans.

CBC radio 1 in Vancouver do a fundraiser for the food bank at the beginning of December and you can donate on-line. You can also specify which food bank you want the money sent to so you can benefit your local community.
Ahh, that is definitely the way to do it if you want to donate.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

In the USA low taxes equates to minimal welfare. In the UK higher taxes equates to moderate welfare. Canada seems to tax at similar levels to the UK but provide welfare closer to the USA model - so where does the tax money go instead?

I'm quite suprised at the number of "panhandlers" in Calgary downtown - worse than anywhere I've been in the UK except for parts of London perhaps. I did my United Way form last week giving a modest contribution from each pay check - company matches a proportion of it and I think there is tax relief on it as well.
With the exception of EI (which you pay into yourself anyway), which provided you qualify is pretty decent in the short-term (55% of wages - the UK should do something similar to help people who've actually worked and then find themselves unemployed), social provision seems to be less than in the UK, but more than in the US.

I know the distances are huge in Canada, but with the natural resources available here and the small population, I also wonder what the hell they do with the money. Taxes are high, plenty of resources money flowing into gvt coffers, social spending low, plus you have to pay for your MSP (if your employer doesn't), market rate prescriptions, ambulances for god's sake....etc
Old Nov 19th 2009, 1:58 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quite suprised at the number of "panhandlers" in Calgary downtown - worse than anywhere I've been in the UK except for parts of London perhaps. I did my United Way form last week giving a modest contribution from each pay check - company matches a proportion of it and I think there is tax relief on it as well.
The UK's income tax take is less than it's welfare bill. I have no idea how much a % of government revenue income tax is in the UK, but this isn't very sustainable. Remember this is before the NHS, police, armed forces etc.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
Here's the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...da-hunger.html

Seems a very large number to me, out of a total population of just over 30m. I've seen the queues at a place near me and have seen people arrive in cars and talking on their mobiles, so you do wonder how 'needy' some people are if they can afford those. In my view, if you can afford to drive and pay for insurance/gas etc, then you can afford to feed yourselves.
I often wonder how many actually need a food bank versus those that decide to spend their money on other non essential things. I remember a story of one family "gathering" 7 Christmas turkey's by hitting up a local food bank and a few churches.

However, does it seem right that in a country which is the top exporter of oil to the USA, they need voluntary donations to feed 3% of it's population?
What does oil exporting have to do with anything? Either people want to work or they don't. If you want a job you will get a job. Some folks would rather take the easy way and abuse the system that is meant for those who truly need it. Voluntary donations from the rest of the population means that the country can feed itself.
I personally am not one to believe that money should be forcefully taken from a working family with kids and given to some deadbeat who is on voluntary full time vacation.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Nov 19th 2009 at 2:06 am. Reason: had to add a word
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brizzle
With the exception of EI (which you pay into yourself anyway), which provided you qualify is pretty decent in the short-term (55% of wages - the UK should do something similar to help people who've actually worked and then find themselves unemployed), social provision seems to be less than in the UK, but more than in the US.

I know the distances are huge in Canada, but with the natural resources available here and the small population, I also wonder what the hell they do with the money. Taxes are high, plenty of resources money flowing into gvt coffers, social spending low, plus you have to pay for your MSP (if your employer doesn't), market rate prescriptions, ambulances for god's sake....etc
Are u sure EI is 55% of wages?. I think in fact the max EI is about C$430 pw.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I often wonder how many actually need a food bank versus those that decide to spend their money on other non essential things. I remember a story of one family "gathering" 7 Christmas turkey's by hitting up a local food bank and a few churches.

What does oil exporting have to do with anything? Either people want to work or they don't. If you want a job you will get a job. Some folks would rather take the easy way and abuse the system that is meant for those who truly need it. Voluntary donations from the rest of the population means that the country can feed itself.
I personally am not one to believe that money should be forcefully taken from a working family with kids and given to some deadbeat who is on full time vacation.
Individual citizens are not the only ones possibly abusing the welfare system. Major Canadian companies are using this recession as an opportunity to shed their pension, health and insurance obligations by dumping these onto the State by getting rid of employees close to them becoming eligible to collect from company plans paid into by employees for decades. The volume of such cases is so high now that Government law enforcement agencies (labour. human rights etc) cannot cope with caseloads. This in turn leaves many at food bank lineups, whilst companies look like they are being well managed having diverted funds away from the "employee obligation" towards their profit line. AT least in the USA there never was a promise, but in Canada the promise of "work towards freedom at retirement" is now acknowledged to be a gross lie.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:22 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
Individual citizens are not the only ones possibly abusing the welfare system. Major Canadian companies are using this recession as an opportunity to shed their pension, health and insurance obligations by dumping these onto the State by getting rid of employees close to them becoming eligible to collect from company plans paid into by employees for decades. The volume of such cases is so high now that Government law enforcement agencies (labour. human rights etc) cannot cope with caseloads. This in turn leaves many at food bank lineups, whilst companies look like they are being well managed having diverted funds away from the "employee obligation" towards their profit line.
So you are saying that the government is picking up the tab of pension plans from companies that are tits up and this is forcing people to foods banks?

AT least in the USA there never was a promise, but in Canada the promise of "work towards freedom at retirement" is now acknowledged to be a gross lie.
lol, what?
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
I thought Canada has a really good safety net, so this is interesting.
Social assistance for a single person in NB....$300 a month. No separate allowance for rent. That's yer lot.

Income Support (UK) $64.30 pw = $486 a month plus Rent Allowance...according to Bristol city council is £62 or £115 a week for a single person.

So £546/$955 or £775/$1357

NB regards $300 a month as being sufficient to feed a family of four.

I'm glad we don't have to rely on the safety net here.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Troll

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Social assistance for a single person in NB....$300 a month. No separate allowance for rent. That's yer lot.

Income Support (UK) $64.30 pw = $486 a month plus Rent Allowance...according to Bristol city council is £62 or £115 a week for a single person.

So £546/$955 or £775/$1357

NB regards $300 a month as being sufficient to feed a family of four.

I'm glad we don't have to rely on the safety net here.
http://www.gnb.ca/0017/social_assistance/rates-e.asp
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This is quite wrong. Although I'd be happier if "welfare" i.e. state responsibility for folk in distress, were even higher in Canada.
Could you clarify - do you think it is wrong that the situation I described exists or you think the situation I described is factually incorrect. If factually incorrect is that all or part?
Old Nov 19th 2009, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
So you are saying that the government is picking up the tab of pension plans from companies that are tits up and this is forcing people to foods banks?

lol, what?
companies are getting rid of employees who are on the threshold of qualifying for full company pensions, leaving them to the immediate circumstance of a poor job market and so having to exhaust savings, EI with final resort to food banks.

Why are you so smug vader?
Old Nov 19th 2009, 1:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
I volunteered at our local foodbank for 10 months and saw many families who would arrive with young adult kids. They would stand outside and smoke so had enough money for ciggies. They used to pee me right off - I wanted to shout out "get a bloody job you lazy ^&%&^*!". Nothing pees me off like able-bodied people saying they haven't enough food or money to live on when they can spend around $12-14 per pack of ciggies
That's an issue of immoral taxation. Governments know that tobacco taxes are aimed at "the poor, the black and the stupid". In a more just society, taxes on golf and yacht club memberships would subsidise low cost cigarettes.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 1:16 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I think many Canadians enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling they get as they drop a packet of muffin-mix into the food bank box. It's an easy option that makes them feel good... much fluffier than getting angry over welfare/taxation/inequality issues.

Couple of bucks, drop something in the box, brief pause to bask in your wonderful charity, instantly forget all about it and hop back in the Lexus.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 1:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I think many Canadians enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling they get as they drop a packet of muffin-mix into the food bank box. It's an easy option that makes them feel good... much fluffier than getting angry over welfare/taxation/inequality issues.

Couple of bucks, drop something in the box, brief pause to bask in your wonderful charity, instantly forget all about it and hop back in the Lexus.
I think that's true but that political disengagement is fundamental to Canadian life, obviously as a by-stander in Canada I'm not involved in their politics or social issues, but I don't think even the unhyphenated take a interest in these matters the way many people in the UK do. Earlier this week I went to see Billy Bragg and was amused at the way the crowd shuffled uncomfortably toward the bar when he went into one of his many rants; in the UK declaiming polemic gets you cheers or boos, it gets you a degree of interest.

In part I think the lack of quality newpapers contributes to the lack of a climate of political interest. It's just too hard to fathom what the author of any piece in the Star is driving at, but that may be chicken and egg; given that politics isn't a matter of great interest the quality writers may be working on pieces about ice hockey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.