Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold
Default 800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

Here's the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...da-hunger.html

Seems a very large number to me, out of a total population of just over 30m. I've seen the queues at a place near me and have seen people arrive in cars and talking on their mobiles, so you do wonder how 'needy' some people are if they can afford those. In my view, if you can afford to drive and pay for insurance/gas etc, then you can afford to feed yourselves.

However, does it seem right that in a country which is the top exporter of oil to the USA, they need voluntary donations to feed 3% of it's population?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

Originally Posted by brizzle
Here's the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...da-hunger.html

Seems a very large number to me, out of a total population of just over 30m. I've seen the queues at a place near me and have seen people arrive in cars and talking on their mobiles, so you do wonder how 'needy' some people are if they can afford those. In my view, if you can afford to drive and pay for insurance/gas etc, then you can afford to feed yourselves.

However, does it seem right that in a country which is the top exporter of oil to the USA, they need voluntary donations to feed 3% of it's population?
That's bad, but Canadians can take some comfort from the fact it's worse in the US.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/16/news...rity/index.htm
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:01 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect foodbank usage is higher in the US!

We used to get stuff from the local "Good Baby Box" which I guess is a food bank of sorts? We still used to pay, but it was a lot less for daipers and formula than the supermarkets, so why not?

Clearly in a recession (can we call it that?), more people are going to need a hand out/up. Reminds me to put something into the foodbank bins next time I do the weekly shop. There but for the grace of god etc etc.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

One could argue those are essential items in Canada for getting around and safety and I speak as a non driver, non car owner amd non cell phone owner/user.

But, yes, I'm sure not all users of food banks really need them.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That's bad, but Canadians can take some comfort from the fact it's worse in the US.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/16/news...rity/index.htm
Originally Posted by iaink
I suspect foodbank usage is higher in the US!

We used to get stuff from the local "Good Baby Box" which I guess is a food bank of sorts? We still used to pay, but it was a lot less for daipers and formula than the supermarkets, so why not?

Clearly in a recession (can we call it that?), more people are going to need a hand out/up. Reminds me to put something into the foodbank bins next time I do the weekly shop. There but for the grace of god etc etc.
Gawd, the USA figures are really shocking

It may seem a pedantic point, but why should I contribute to the profits of huge supermarket companies when making a foodbank donation? If they really want to help, they should charge donations at cost price.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:33 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Lets face it, the social welfare net in canada is set pretty close to the ground. Even closer in the US. Anyone who has been on EI here can appreciate that, and EI is way better than being on welfare.

Unemployment is 8.6% I can see where 800000 people might be making either permanent or occasional use of the Food Banks. The rest of us would probably not hurt too badly from contributing to one every now and then.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:36 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

It may seem a pedantic point, but why should I contribute to the profits of huge supermarket companies when making a foodbank donation? If they really want to help, they should charge donations at cost price.
You are right, it does seem a very pedantic point.

How much profit are they making on a box of No Name mac and cheese? not more than a few pennies.

Food banks around my area are struggling to meet demand, stocks are very low. The small amount the supermarket is making on dried / canned staple goods is probably significantly outweighed by the nice warm feeling of helping out complete strangers (who may even be your friends and neigbours).

Often the supermarkets will take cash donations for the foodbank. I dont know if the foodbank then get a discount purchase rate or not, but really its probably overall not enough to worry about, the good outweighs the bad. (Without getting into the debate about foodbanks filling an obvious void left by government welfare provision)

Last edited by iaink; Nov 18th 2009 at 6:41 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It is much better to donate cash to the food bank. They have special arrangements to purchase food and on average pay 1/3rd of the shelf price in the supermarket. So, rather than donating a $2 can of vegetables send them $2 and they can buy three cans.

CBC radio 1 in Vancouver do a fundraiser for the food bank at the beginning of December and you can donate on-line. You can also specify which food bank you want the money sent to so you can benefit your local community.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Things are much, much worse south of the border. Canada has a much better overall standard of living than the US and there are more safety nets there as well for when things go wrong. I think there is significantly worse to come in the US as well.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

What's even more questionable is the province with most of the oil and gas is the one with the highest by far percentage increase in food-bank usage year over year at 61%.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:58 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I volunteered at our local foodbank for 10 months and saw many families who would arrive with young adult kids. They would stand outside and smoke so had enough money for ciggies. They used to pee me right off - I wanted to shout out "get a bloody job you lazy ^&%&^*!". Nothing pees me off like able-bodied people saying they haven't enough food or money to live on when they can spend around $12-14 per pack of ciggies

On the other hand there were definitely people who needed help. Recently unemployed, and quite a few people who you could tell had led a hard life, and there was also quite a lot of single parent families - we used to hand out split packs of diapers, toothpaste, shampoo, baby food etc too.

People had to show their 'benefits' card and could only go to the foodbank once per month.

Last edited by Cookie; Nov 18th 2009 at 11:01 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not new though is it. What is new is that people on this forum are beginning to see Canada's warts

The 2007 Report Card on Child and Family
Poverty in Canada states that before
income taxes, 1 in 6 or 1.13 million
children in Canada live in poverty
(Campaign2000.ca)

In the counties of Northumberland, Haliburton and the City of Kawartha Lakes
11.5% of households experience food
insecurity due to lack of money

Both of those quotes are from the HKPR Health Unit report on poverty.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Lets face it, the social welfare net in canada is set pretty close to the ground. Even closer in the US. Anyone who has been on EI here can appreciate that, and EI is way better than being on welfare.

Unemployment is 8.6% I can see where 800000 people might be making either permanent or occasional use of the Food Banks. The rest of us would probably not hurt too badly from contributing to one every now and then.
In the USA low taxes equates to minimal welfare. In the UK higher taxes equates to moderate welfare. Canada seems to tax at similar levels to the UK but provide welfare closer to the USA model - so where does the tax money go instead?

I'm quite suprised at the number of "panhandlers" in Calgary downtown - worse than anywhere I've been in the UK except for parts of London perhaps. I did my United Way form last week giving a modest contribution from each pay check - company matches a proportion of it and I think there is tax relief on it as well.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
In the USA low taxes equates to minimal welfare. In the UK higher taxes equates to moderate welfare. Canada seems to tax at similar levels to the UK but provide welfare closer to the USA model - so where does the tax money go instead?

I'm quite suprised at the number of "panhandlers" in Calgary downtown - worse than anywhere I've been in the UK except for parts of London perhaps. I did my United Way form last week giving a modest contribution from each pay check - company matches a proportion of it and I think there is tax relief on it as well.
I thought Canada has a really good safety net, so this is interesting. Britain's welfare state is gargantuan though - but about to get a lot smaller, methinks!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:50 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
What's even more questionable is the province with most of the oil and gas is the one with the highest by far percentage increase in food-bank usage year over year at 61%.

...the Alberta advantage...my arse!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.