Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

is 32k enough to live on in canada

is 32k enough to live on in canada

Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is 32k enough to live on in canada

Originally Posted by Lychee
I don't know if "difficult" is the term to use, but having to commute over the Lion's Gate Bridge or the Iron Worker's Memorial Bridge during rush hour twice a day is not my idea of fun. Living in Lower Lonsdale around the Sea Bus would be better, as long as you recognize that your commute now involves a 2 zone transit fare, and the Sea Bus doesn't run late into the night.

I currently live in East Vancouver and I have friends who live in North Vancouver by Lynn Canyon. We visit them on weekends and the drive is a piece of cake - we're there in 20 minutes.

By living in Vancouver, you still have hills and you can see the mountains, which you can drive to in 20 minutes. I personally don't think it's necessary to live in the mountains. It's the sacrifice. Is the need to live in the mountains more important than the need to live a commute-free day to day existence?
No way! I agree, just had ideas of hills and mountains imprinted into the mindset by all those tourist photos probably. .. You make good points and we're really not even very active- partner thought the idea of being close to nature would be novel (we live in the metropolis now) and oh so romantic but its probably a pipe dream

Ta, Lychee
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Just to chip in if it helps anyone...

I'm a single female In Vancouver with no dependents and I walk away with $660 a week after tax (office/admin job).

I live on Cambie and Broadway, so 30 minutes walk to Downtown or ten minutes on the skytrain (which is less than 5 minutes walk from my house). Really nice area, everything we need (grocery store, gym, takeaways, restaurants, bars) within 5 minutes walk away.

My rent is $625, I have my own, very large room. I am in a houseshare with three others (one couple) in a lovely old (in Canadian years!) Heritage home.

I work downtown, so I usually walk or take the skytrain if the weather is bad.

I live a pretty comfortable lifestyle i.e. eat out 3-4 times a week, party on the weekends, snowboard 1-2 times a week, member of the gym, go trips maybe every 3-4 months (last trip, NYC next trip, Vegas and LA), top my Starbucks card up $15 every week, am a ZipCar member.

However I haven't really managed to save anything since being here. I'm on IEC, so it's a working holiday and I always intended to treat it as such. I've been here for a year and a half and only have half a year left, so I intend to make the most of it.

So, if I was being conservative with my spending, lived in the suburbs and stayed home at the weekends...I would have quite a bit saved up I imagine. Two of my roommates earn less than I do, and survive quite happily living the same kind of lifestyle. One is so good he actually has saved some money!

So yes, living on 32k is entirely possible!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice, thanks maz. Now if only I can bring myself to houseshare again
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:17 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazmataz

I live a pretty comfortable lifestyle i.e. eat out 3-4 times a week, party on the weekends, snowboard 1-2 times a week, member of the gym, go trips maybe every 3-4 months (last trip, NYC next trip, Vegas and LA), top my Starbucks card up $15 every week, am a ZipCar member.
That's the kind of lifestyle I'm looking for - great to see its doable
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
No way! I agree, just had ideas of hills and mountains imprinted into the mindset by all those tourist photos probably. .. You make good points and we're really not even very active- partner thought the idea of being close to nature would be novel (we live in the metropolis now) and oh so romantic but its probably a pipe dream

Ta, Lychee
Oh, if that's the case, living even in downtown Vancouver will fulfill your desire to be close to nature. I lived in Yaletown for many years and would do evening strolls along the seawall to the beach and the rainforest in Stanley Park. Nature is all around in Vancouver. You'll be fine living on Main Street or anywhere in Vancouver, really.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes sounds great. Thanks Lychee