Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

3 Months in....Help with finding work!

3 Months in....Help with finding work!

Old Jun 2nd 2016, 7:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Months in....Help with finding work!

Originally Posted by dbd33
Java?
Coffee always helps.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 8:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
... And I'd bet there's a Chartered Accountant group somewhere...
The local chapters in BC have regular meetings, about once a month, that are part professional development and part networking. Not British, but a good way of getting to know people and what is going on.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dal_Boy24
First of all it's been so long since I've posted on here I thought I'd posted in the 'Canniversary' forum but clearly not.....
I believe you did, as per post number 2 from Shirtback

Originally Posted by Shirtback
It might help if a) you ask a mod to move this to the main Canada forum (I think you'll get more views & possibly answers), & b) give us a clue about what field/level you're job searching in, as well as how you've approached the JS so far.
P.S. How do we move this thread to the other forum???
Probably best not to. There's a discussion going on now which may be of some benefit whereas the Canniversary forum is more about updates and well dones.

Well done for escaping the clutches of the DWP. It took me over 30 years.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

@Dal_Boy24 - the Canniversary forum isn't for asking questions or seeking advice, it's really for general updates from members when they hit milestones - such as being in Canada for a year / 10 years / 50 years or whatever, to say how they are doing or what they have done.

In my humble opinion, your post is right where it needs to be to gain advice on careers, job opportunities and help integrating.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 2nd 2016 at 11:20 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:25 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Join clubs and interest groups in your area to get talking to people. An example is IT, where there are computer clubs and there's always someone who knows someone who's hiring. You need to get your name circulated and make sure people know you're looking for work.
Ask around IT people to find out the best agencies to sign up with. Some of the agencies are hopeless, but when you deal with a few different ones you'll soon discover which are more worthwhile.
Consider contract work as well. It's a good way to get going.
The 'Canadian Experience' may be useful, but it's not key to getting a reasonable job in the beginning.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

The British Computer Society.
Is that still a thing?

My dad was 'in' that in the 1970s when mainframe computers had those tapes that ran backwards and forwards (like in the movies) and punched card readers....
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 12:03 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Is that still a thing?
I still have membership.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 1:37 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

The British Computer Society has a nice chapter going here- we share some gigs with them (I run one of the engineering chapters).
What a small world I worked for BCS many years ago as an Examinations Officer....happy days, next door to the Chinese Embassy in Portland Place.

OP it's terrifying, not having work, feeling you'll never have work and that you are out of some form of loop, that they'll never let you into.

I can only say get out and meet people. I came here and found difficulty finding work, but then did find full time work with health benefits, fitness club membership and four weeks hols , etc...however, I was ousted in favour of a family member moving! This was after three years of positive work feedback etc. I now have Canadian experience, but I still can't find work.

I now temp, I take minutes of Council meetings, organise conferences...and I clean people's homes...not something I had envisaged, but I do, and I'm finding it oddly enjoyable. I just do it....For six or seven hours without stopping. I work with a young woman who is a silversmith and a woman from Australia who used to work on cruise ships and speaks Mandrin, but fell in love with a Canadian! In the six weeks that I have been doing this many people have started, but they haven't lasted the day! They walk out or are fired. Neither as happened, yet, to me, as yet.

I am meeting new people. I don't have time to dwell upon my situation. When well paying temp work arises, I do it, but in the meantime I clean. The first week I was almost physically dead....climbing in and out of six soaker tubs a day is physically gruelling...but now, I'm looking better than I have in years, and am toned and sleep well!

None of this is ideal, and I fully realize how horrid it is as a newcomer to Canada with dreams of a better tomorrow. Please try to stick with it. I am. We don't have much to loose. We took the decision to come, and it hasn't turned out as planned, maybe we just need to change our perspective? I know, it hurts.

Very, very best of luck
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 2:13 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the routine I had to where now our routine consists of job search and four walls.

......Now three months in we still haven't found work, we've been applying constantly and having come from 'professional jobs' assumed it wouldn't be this difficult but I keep hearing 'CANADIAN EXPERIENCE,'.....how on earth can we get that if no one gives us a break!
Unfortunately its the timing of the job market more like right now. May be Ontario hasn't been affected so much but there are people in some parts of the country who have been out of work for more than a year now. And those are people with a lot of Canadian experience/qualifications. But it seems like some green shoots are appearing, surely very slowly, but most economists say that the worst is certainly over. From personal experience I can also tell you that the 'Canadian Experience' thing is relative only when employers have lots of people applying to them. When the economy is hot then thats the last thing that they care about cuz they need people. And that is how most immigrants end up getting the Canadian Experience. Keep your fingers crossed mate, something will definitely come up soon.

I miss the weekly banter with lads at indoor football.........then home and unwinding to watch some great British TV Shows.
I wouldn't worry about this part at all. It takes time but once you develop your own social circle then I am sure you will find activities like above to indulge yourself in. It may not be football but hey ice hockey also isn't so bad either! Personally I have found Canada to have a richer social life and at a much lower cost once you get to know your surroundings better and adjust to them.

Good luck and don't ever look back
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 12:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Coffee always helps.
It does but I was reaching out to pro-actively network, or something. There's steady demand for people who work in Java.

IMO, and I've been in the computer business around the GTA for decades in multiple roles including hiring and pimping, contract work is always available for people who have:

- fashionable skills
- good English
- a conventional work ethic (get there on time, be clean and passably smart, look interested, do the job for which you're being paid, if you don't like it shut up, find another one, leave on good terms)

I don't see these as barriers:

- lack of local experience (no one cares, they're not from here either)
- country of origin (again no one cares, they've never heard of Wales or Bhudistan or wherever)

I think there's a danger that immigrants fail to be hired because they don't pitch themselves coherently, it's not that the resume can't say C.V., but it cannot be being in Chinglish nor in rhymin' slang. Above all though fashionable skills are it, employers will give you a go, on a contract, if they need someone who can do what you do and the choice of candidates is limited.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Try dumbing down your resume too, that worked for me. I had to start again from the bottom in my job, and it took 5 years to get back to somewhere close to where I was in the UK. It can be a bit demoralising, but the cream quickly rises to the top, as once the employers realise your work ethic and knowledge they quickly jump on it and use it.

Often if you show too much knowledge and experience up front they seem to get intimidated and hire someone they see as more moldable. Worth a shot anyway.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dal_Boy24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Thanks guys all the advice is much appreciated and it's nice to be able to come here and read posts with advice and words of support and wisdom....

Java....sadly not, my IT degree was centred around processes of computing, lifecycle and project management which ironically when I left Uni in the UK in 2006 I was also told no experience LOLOL! So my path set me upon Retail Management and then going to the DWP was a step up.....yes it was for a brief period in time, but then with the govt. being the way it is and not really having any idea of how to run things properly I then moved across to a University setting which I did thoroughly enjoy.

Yes I know what you mean about escaping the DWP.....many of my old friends from there are stuck and want to desperately get out....

As for dumbing down my resume, yep sound advice but I've got several different versions and send them according to the job....

As for networking again sound advice.....

Over and out for now.....I'll be back!
Dal