Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

3 Months in....Help with finding work!

3 Months in....Help with finding work!

Old May 31st 2016, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Dal_Boy24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 Months in....Help with finding work!

Hi ALL

I thought I'd give a quick update on how it's been for myself and my wife now having decided to take the plunge finally and arrive in Canada.

You know I never thought I'd ever say it but I MISS the U.K.....yep shock horror although for the people on this forum it probably isn't.
I miss the routine I had to where now our routine consists of job search and four walls.....I miss the Fish and Chips, Sweets and general food.....although the food here in GTA isn't that bad.

I miss the weekly banter with lads at indoor football and the routine of getting up and putting on a suit and going to work, then home and unwinding to watch some great British TV Shows (again shows can be watched here but it was nice watching them late in evening).

Now three months in we still haven't found work, we've been applying constantly and having come from 'professional jobs' assumed it wouldn't be this difficult but I keep hearing 'CANADIAN EXPERIENCE,'.....how on earth can we get that if no one gives us a break!

Yes feeling demoralised and depressed.....life wasn't all bad in UK for us but with 'brexit,' immigration and society in general we thought the move with be the best thing......

I guess reality has hit home now, but if anyone could help with jobs that be great!

Thanks for reading
Dal
Old Jun 1st 2016, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Months in....Help with finding work!

It might help if a) you ask a mod to move this to the main Canada forum (I think you'll get more views & possibly answers), & b) give us a clue about what field/level you're job searching in, as well as how you've approached the JS so far.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 2:01 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dal_Boy24
Yes feeling demoralised and depressed.....life wasn't all bad in UK for us but with 'brexit,' immigration and society in general we thought the move with be the best thing......
Ah yes, those bloody immigrants and their "not from here" experience eh? Expecting to come over and just walk into jobs.....oh hang on

Sorry but the irony in your post tickled my funny bone. In a more practical vein, what sort of work are you looking for and what are you doing to find it? Networking is very key.....simply applying for jobs as advertised, is unlikely to produce results alone.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 5:59 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually against Ontario Human Rights to discriminate due to lack of Canadian experience - not that it seems to make any difference to any companies. Policy on Removing the “Canadian experience” barrier | Ontario Human Rights Commission
The OHRC position:

A strict requirement of "Canadian experience" is prima facie discriminatory, and may only be used in rare circumstances; and

The onus is on employers and regulatory bodies to show that a requirement of prior work experience in Canada is a bona fide requirement
(Though it didn't stop a Govt. worker telling me that was one of my downfalls!)

I can only suggest you network as much as possible - Professional Immigrant Networks (PINs) as it's 'who you know' a lot of the time. Use LinkedIn to find other professionals in your area and ask to meet for a coffee to pick their brains, not to ask for a job. Look for any networking events being held in your field.

Use the YMCA's immigrant services - they have programs to get you working as a volunteer in return for getting 'Canadian Experience' (Go down to Immigrant Services). https://ymcagta.org/join-our-team/vo...-opportunities

There's other help out there.. http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...E_NONREGS.html / http://www.jvstoronto.org/find-a-job...ment-services/

If you are in IT, there's a program called 'Bridging to Information and Communications Technology' that may be useful to you as well as bridging programs for other fields. http://www.citizenship.gov.on.ca/eng...ing/it.shtml#9 and http://www.ictc-ctic.ca/what-we-do/p...n-initiatives/

As others have mentioned, if you could let us know what fields you both work in, more specific advice could probably be offered.

As for the 'missing stuff' - that's perfectly normal! You should go along to the meet-up in Toronto (I think it's 10th June) and mingle with some of the BE Brits (and a couple of Canadians) for a good old chin wag.

Edited to add, just realised you are one of the 2009'ers - congrats on getting PR - finally!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 2nd 2016 at 6:10 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ALL...
Dal
It does sound like the work situation is getting you down generally. I can imagine after 3 months that is incredibly demoralising. I have unfortunately read a lot of this on the internet and mainly from GTA. This could be due to an actual discrimination problem in that area or just because there are more immigrants and therefore more reporting or a struggle to find employment.

Something I have noticed in almost all threats/articles I've read is that once the employment situation is resolved the outlook and confidence in the decision to make the move to Canada dramatically improves.

I cannot help with your job search but I wish you good luck, hopefully you'll get a break soon!
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

What is a 'professional job'? Are you here on IEC visa?
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 12:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
If it is a profession that comes with a professional licence/certification then that may be a lot of the problem if the licence/ certification is not as common, or worse still not recognized in Canada. If this is part of the problem, then taking steps to obtain a local licence/ certification would likely pay dividends, and even being able to say that you have started the process of getting a local licence may help in getting an interview/ job.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 2:25 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

what types of positions are you looking for? what do you do?
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 2:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

we've been applying constantly and having come from 'professional jobs' assumed it wouldn't be this difficult
Anything we do for a living is a profession. The 'professions' are perhaps more regulated jobs, accountants, lawyers, doctors, engineers etc.

Perhaps lowering your expectations initially and take anything puts some Canadian experience on your resume. I knew a guy who spent thousands of $ and many months trying to find work, he flipped burgers, filled shelves and eventually got into what he wanted to do. That was 20 years ago and he is still here. Don't wait for jobs to be advertised, prepare a good cover letter and resume, tailored to each employer and drop them in, cold calling can give you an advantage. If you can find out who is responsible for hiring, personalise the application. Those who persevere eventually succeed, as many give up.

Last edited by Aviator; Jun 2nd 2016 at 4:48 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 3:35 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Anything we do for a living is a profession. The 'professions' are perhaps more regulated jobs, accountants, lawyers, doctors, engineers etc.

Perhaps lowering your expectations initially and take anything puts some Canadian experience on your resume. I knew a guy who spent thousands of $ and many months trying to find work, he flipped burgers, filled shelves and eventually got into what we wanted to do. That was 20 years ago and he is still here. Don't wait for jobs to be advertised, prepare a good cover letter and resume, tailored to each employer and drop them in, cold calling can give you an advantage. If you can find out who is responsible for hiring, personalise the application. Those who persevere eventually succeed, as many give up.
Good advice right here
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
OP is a PR.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

These days it seems that painting fingernails comes under Professional Services....

And even being a Realtor...
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Dal_Boy24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All thanks for the replies

First of all it's been so long since I've posted on here I thought I'd posted in the 'Canniversary' forum but clearly not.....

Ok so my last job was working with IT in a University and prior to that I've worked as a retail store manager and also worked for the Department for Work and Pensions and I have a degree in IT.

Now in regards to my wife, she is a qualified chartered accountant from UK and has also done the conversion course for Canada and now has her CGA.

Now on to the question of what we've done so far, our LinkedIn is up to date, we have several resumes and cover letters also and apply accordingly.

Registered with many employment agencies and our daily job at the minute is looking as far and wide as possible to find employment, with myself because I have a varied skill set I would be willing to flip burgers (though the wife has said not too just yet)....I keep also hearing how it's the norm for people to have 2 or 3 jobs here in Canada which again is fine but 1 will do for now....

I can work for anyone in Canada and don't have any restrictions as it's a normal skilled worked PR that we have....

And networking of course helps but without transport it's not easy.....not trying to put barriers up....trust me I used to help unemployed for a living and told them do whatever it takes to get to your destination....yes irony!

And finally I've been told register with agencies but they frown upon people walking in off the street......phew end of story and hope it helped.

Thanks Dal

P.S. How do we move this thread to the other forum???
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 7:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so my last job was working with IT in a University and prior to that I've worked as a retail store manager and also worked for the Department for Work and Pensions and I have a degree in IT.
Java?
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 7:32 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

The British Computer Society has a nice chapter going here- we share some gigs with them (I run one of the engineering chapters).

And I'd bet there's a Chartered Accountant group somewhere.

Those should be your first ports of call- leverage your UK professional memberships.

Hi All thanks for the replies

First of all it's been so long since I've posted on here I thought I'd posted in the 'Canniversary' forum but clearly not.....

Now in regards to my wife, she is a qualified chartered accountant from UK and has also done the conversion course for Canada and now has her CGA.

Now on to the question of what we've done so far, our LinkedIn is up to date, we have several resumes and cover letters also and apply accordingly.

Registered with many employment agencies and our daily job at the minute is looking as far and wide as possible to find employment, with myself because I have a varied skill set I would be willing to flip burgers (though the wife has said not too just yet)....I keep also hearing how it's the norm for people to have 2 or 3 jobs here in Canada which again is fine but 1 will do for now....

I can work for anyone in Canada and don't have any restrictions as it's a normal skilled worked PR that we have....

And networking of course helps but without transport it's not easy.....not trying to put barriers up....trust me I used to help unemployed for a living and told them do whatever it takes to get to your destination....yes irony!

And finally I've been told register with agencies but they frown upon people walking in off the street......phew end of story and hope it helped.

Thanks Dal

P.S. How do we move this thread to the other forum???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.