Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Ontario

2 weeks in Ontario

Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Haze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 2 weeks in Ontario

I agree with the comments. I make no excuses and would not dream of speeding in the towns and certainly not in a school zone. My road is a 30mph limit (50kmh). I would throw the bricks too. What can I say, a long day in the chair, nothing for miles, the only thing to hit would be a tree as it was daylight. Following the car in front, easily done, no one can deny that. They are low limits but after a couple of days in Toronto, I can see why they're low. The standard of driving is pretty appalling. Same in the USA where I lived for a while. If you don't stop for a school bus then you deserve all you get.

It will change eventually, speed cameras, traffic signal cameras, less police visibility. I noticed a fair amount of traffic signal cameras in Vancouver. Any in Toronto yet?

The only reason I could see for a 80 limit where I was could be in case of Moose at night. Oh and revenue generation for Timmins, I just figured it was an entry fee. Anyone else been there? Mate of mine who runs a B&B in Thornbury grew up there, he remembers days with the windchill down to -70C.

Mind you, after the gold mine the only other thing to do is the Shania Twain museum (paid for by herself). The locals don't think much of her as she was not too polite about her home town.

Total travelled was just under 4400 cliks.

We saw the signs about 50 over and impounding. Guess if you're on holiday you'd go hire another car? There's a clampdown right now and the chief of police stated they were likely to catch mostly mums on the school run and locals! No change there then. Whenever they have speeding clampdowns where I live, they catch mostly locals. Comfort zone, it's easy to get into one.

BTW, i was 250 cliks north of the TCH, I know the deal along the TCH with speed traps.

Tim
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haze and Tim
Same in the USA where I lived for a while.
That really is most unfair, the standard in the US is markedly higher. On the last trip from Colorado the first car we saw in the wrong lane was in Chicago. It had Ontario plates.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Haze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the rough

Was it a cab?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haze and Tim

Was it a cab?
No but I was delighted to be right in guessing the ethnicity of the driver.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Drive Buicks people, you'll get nowhere near those speeds

I got my first parking ticket the other week, those are all I can hope for.
Are you inferring that Buicks are gutless wonders?....