Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Ontario

2 weeks in Ontario

Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Haze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the rough
Default 2 weeks in Ontario

Just back from my second trip and Hazes first.

From Collingwood, we went along to Owen sound and up the Bruce Peninsular. Took the ferry from Tobermory over to Manituolin Island, up to Sudbury and on up to Timmins (don't ask, one of those get it out of your system things). Sturgeon Falls, North Bay and down to Parry Sound. Over to Bracebridge, down to Gravenhurst Orillia and Barry and back to Collingwood (Thornbury really as we have friends there). From here we then went over to the banks of lake Huron and headed south along the coast (do you call it that on a lake?) to Sarnia and down to Chatham and then along the highway to Niagra and Toronto for the tourist bit.

Anyone after info on places along that route then just ask. After all you only get out of this site what you're willing to put in.

My observations are thus:

1. Don't speed or get caught speeding.
2. not much going on north of the Georgian Triangle
3. It's nice in the Georgian Triangle
4. Don't speed.
5. Alexander Keiths Pale gives you a headache
6. Don't get caught speeding
7. Drinking too much gives you a headache..........
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2 weeks in Ontario

Alexander Keith died for that ..... oh wait, it's not good for a Scottish guy to mimic that ad any more
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haze and Tim

4. Don't speed.
Okay, so how much?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Haze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the roughHaze and Tim is a jewel in the rough

$324
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

$324

Me too. That was for 113 in an 80.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

$324
Puts a bit of a damper in the holiday.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

$324
Bugger!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

It's a learning curve, paid it next day to get it done with. Learn't not to speed and how you should allways use cruise! Nice to know where you stand with the enforcement authorities. No grey areas! We saw on average about 2 to 3 patrols a day, more in towns. Can't tell you when I last saw one here where I live.

124 in a 80. Clear road for ever in each direction, in with 6 other cars all doing the same. Hiding in the bushes. That's what they do up there apparantly, specially on the Trans Canada Highway. On hindsight I'm not surprised they were there as we were only 30 cliks outside Timmins. Reckon the locals know where they might be and drive accordingly.

Interestingly on the Police thread, we heard on the radio that a couple of youths had been caught graffittying in Orillia. Was surprised to hear they had been caught firstly then had a laugh when it was read out that they had been charged with "mischief".
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:33 pm
To Infinity and Beyond

Dive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud of

From Collingwood, we went along to Owen sound and up the Bruce Peninsular. Took the ferry from Tobermory over to Manituolin Island, up to Sudbury and on up to Timmins (don't ask, one of those get it out of your system things). Sturgeon Falls, North Bay and down to Parry Sound. Over to Bracebridge, down to Gravenhurst Orillia and Barry and back to Collingwood (Thornbury really as we have friends there). From here we then went over to the banks of lake Huron and headed south along the coast (do you call it that on a lake?) to Sarnia and down to Chatham and then along the highway to Niagra and Toronto for the tourist bit.

Anyone after info on places along that route then just ask. After all you only get out of this site what you're willing to put in.

4. Don't speed.
How many Km's did you rack up then?

bit of a bummer with the speeding tickets, but sounds like an interesting trip.

Matt
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ive had two tickets in 10 years, 130 on the 401 near chatham (a notorous area for revenue generation) and 75 in a 50 zone while trying to get in front of the car to my left so I could pull into that lane cos of the big white car parked up in my lane 300yds ahead with the trunk open. Turned out that car was a police car with the trunk open to hide the lights.Bastard, if it wasnt there I would not have had to go fast to get in the other lane!

The rest of the time I exceed the limit a sensible amount and have never has a problem 100 in the 80, 80 in the 60, 70 in the 50, and 40 in the school zones as posted. If you are exceeding 110 in an 80 zone, you deserve a ticket, and if you do 80 down my 50 residential zone country lane, I'll be out throwing bricks at you myself to see if you can stop in time. If you speed in a school zone everyone else will lynch you, its just not done, and I shouldnt have to explain why

124 in an 80 is more than half the posted limit again for gods sake, even if it was the TCH.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 5th 2007 at 3:13 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 6:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink;

124 in an 80 is more than half the posted limit again for gods sake, even if it was the TCH.
Indeed. And since Oct 1st, the new reg is 50k over the limit (130 k in this instance) is an automatic license suspension and confiscation of the vehicle for 7 days. That would've really put a crimp in a 2 week visit.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Drive Buicks people, you'll get nowhere near those speeds

I got my first parking ticket the other week, those are all I can hope for.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 6:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Ridiculously low, those limits.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not my fault, it is what it is, and they have plenty of signs up so ignorance is no excuse.

Most of the ones set below 80 are set for damned good reasons when you look into it. Once I learned from friends and neighbours of kids killed and maimed in the past before limits were changed, I took on a different view to the various odd 50 and 60 limits around my area. I get REALLY pissed off at the people who hare past my house doing maybe 80 or 90, ignoring the 50 limit, and the fact that kids are playing in the neighbourhood., and I try to look at it from the other residents view point when I'm in other 50 and 60 areas.

Only a few months ago some scrote swerved around the corner in the middle of the road and crashed avoiding a truck driven by an ex OPP officer going the other way. They ended up backwards in a neighbours tree, over 120ft of rubber on the road and very lucky to walk away. The ex cop enquired if they were OK, and then expressed his disappointment that they hadn't killed themselves after all. Its going to court I think...the kid is unaware they the witness against him is not some old buffoon who he says was on his side causing the accident, but an ex OPP traffic cop. I know who I think the court will believe more....serves him right.

Its not an isolated incident either, we've had a car end up in the middle of our yard losing control on the bend before now, and when we chopped one of the trees down there were obvious bits of another car embeded within it too. I've no sympathy for reckless drivers at all if you cant tell. Fast is OK in the right place, but if its posted less than 80, there is probably a good reason to slow down.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 5th 2007 at 7:14 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:48 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But so is the standard of driving over here

add in a coffee in one hand and phone in the other

most Canadians aren't safe over 20kmph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.