Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in BC!

2 weeks in BC!

Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Whiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant future
Default 2 weeks in BC!

Ok so I didn’t know where to put this but we have been in BC for two whole weeks today and I thought I would post on how things have gone.

Packing/selling/giving away our stuff in the UK (we shipped nothing only us and some VERY over weight suitcases) was hard work. Ebay and car boot sales were our best friends and even in bleak Jan we did pretty well. We sold our car to my OH’s brother so we got to use it until the day we flew which was excellent. (We had no house to sell in the UK.)

Saying goodbye to family and friends was hard breaking and I have never cried so much. I had SERIOUSLY underestimated how hard this would be. I think if you’d have asked me if i waited to stay while I was saying good bye to my lovely mum I would have said yes in a heartbeat.

Our fly was excellent (Thomas Cook Premium.) Immigration was a breeze and we got a lovely “Welcome to Canada” as we left the airport.

We are lucky that we had friends to stay with who came and picked us up from the airport too. Within the first week we had bought an OK used car and we have passed our theory tests. We have found a nice place to rent which we will hopefully move in next week.

My OH secured work before we came out and he starts on the 1st March as planned. I am hopefully getting a transfer with the Co I worked for in the UK. Their office is based downtown. I had an interview last week and all went well so fingers crossed.

Aside from all the moving stuff we promised ourselves some fun times too. We have been to the hockey, to Whistler, and hiking around a couple of lakes. Hopefully we are going to Grouse on the weekend too!

So far so good and I’ll keep you posted.

As a long time lurker BE has been so useful so thanks again!!!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:21 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 weeks in BC!

Welcome to BC. Leaving your family and friends is so hard, and I wish you lots of success here.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Location: Saltburn by the sea, North Yorkshire. Heading to Edmonton
absolutlyfedup is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you have the work life ballance all sorted out.

Which is great. Have you met the neighbours yet, or made any friends?

Hope it continues to go well for you both.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Whiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant future

We have a few (literally) friends from my OH's previous time here and we are staying with a couple untill we move into our rental. Hopefully when we start work at the beginning of march we will start to intergrate more, join some local clubs, gym etc ...........Just get out there really.

Saying that we have met at least 5 expats while out shopping etc. Our UK accents are quite broad so we have been apporached a few times by Brits asking questions about home.

Skype has been great for keeping in touch with ppl at home....couldn't recommend it enough!!!! Even saw my cat on there today, she looked happy as larry!!! Not missing me at all!
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

rocket1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Sounds like your plans are going well.

Can you tell me how your OH secured employment prior to going and what your profession is?

I am a bookkeeper working for a large international law firm in London and we have recently become affiliated to some Canadian law firm who are looking for staff in various areas.

Just wondering how you found the whole process and how long it has taken you?

In the process of preparing my CV in North American style (as I understand that is preferred) and then forwarding off to the firms in question.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:32 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! I wish you all the best for your new life in BC.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BC! Sounds like you have hit the ground running which really helps with settling in.

I hope you did manage to get up to Grouse this weekend, today is absolutely beautiful and it feels like Spring is here already. Days like this in the mountains make all the hard times worthwhile!

Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

it feels like Spring is here already. Days like this in the mountains make all the hard times worthwhile!

Hi
Welcome to Vancouver and all the very best in your new adventure
Old Feb 16th 2009, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

DESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really nice

Hoping that we will be in same position as you in 6 months time.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 3:57 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Welcome to BC!
I hope you did manage to get up to Grouse this weekend, today is absolutely beautiful and it feels like Spring is here already. Days like this in the mountains make all the hard times worthwhile!

Yep ~ totally agree, Welcome to BC ........ it was beautiful here on the Island today too
Attached Thumbnails 2 weeks in BC!-feb-09-002.jpg   2 weeks in BC!-feb-09-009.jpg   2 weeks in BC!-feb-09-012.jpg  

Last edited by bananahammock; Feb 16th 2009 at 3:59 am.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

It was so beautiful yesterday but we didn’t make it the mountain we had to settle for watching the sunset in White Rock.....hard times! We are hopefully going to Cypress tomorrow although we are worrying about the snow conditions........

Rocket1971 - my OH secured his work as he had worked from the before, during and after university on the BUNAC scheme. Once we had received the positive LMO the paper work took around 3 months in total (....this is a guess.)

We were in a very lucky position, I know for the majority of others it is not this easy!! If you need more info feel free to PM me.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:51 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and Welcome to Canada.
The weather is lovely, glad you are enjoying it.
We have friends in Langley its a lovely area to live ( they are in Walnut Grove). so any questions I know there are lots of peoplw here that can help but with Langley specific questions I can "phone a friend".
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rocket1971
In the process of preparing my CV in North American style (as I understand that is preferred) and then forwarding off to the firms in question.
you'd best get used to calling it a 'ray-zoo-may'!

i am still struggling with using 'z' everywhere and shortening words such as 'alternative', to alternate etc....

surely my speaking the way i do is endearing rather than alienating no?

congrats to the OP..... me and my better half are off in 2 weeks, for 2 weeks in BC - Alberta..... we're going to 'land' and be done with the goods to follow list etc..... hopefully find some attractive neighbourhoods and apartments therein and maybe even slide in Banff!

not much on the job hunt thus far.... but i have only sent out 24 'rays'....
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

rocket1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
you'd best get used to calling it a 'ray-zoo-may'!

i am still struggling with using 'z' everywhere and shortening words such as 'alternative', to alternate etc....

surely my speaking the way i do is endearing rather than alienating no?

congrats to the OP..... me and my better half are off in 2 weeks, for 2 weeks in BC - Alberta..... we're going to 'land' and be done with the goods to follow list etc..... hopefully find some attractive neighbourhoods and apartments therein and maybe even slide in Banff!

not much on the job hunt thus far.... but i have only sent out 24 'rays'....
paolosmythe,

would be interested to hear on your neighbourhood finds in BC if you can post them that would be much appreciated.

Will make every effort to get used to the rays instead of CV's!