Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Laid off and looking for advice

Laid off and looking for advice

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

AyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really nice
Default Laid off and looking for advice

Myself and other half were laid off just over a week ago...we were both working for the same company Despite the financial uncertainty we're trying to see the opportunity to come out of all this.

We now have no ties to Halifax, NS and are weighing up the options we have. The job market here seems to be competitive at the best of times for young professionals, throw in the uncertainty of the economy and it's not looking like we'll be back in employment any time soon if we stay rooted here.

So, we're contemplating heading out West. It's still early days, but I just wondered if anyone out BC or Alberta way would have any advice about the job market there?

We both have good office experience. Other half has experience offshore, I have a background in International Marketing...but we're pretty open to any work opportunities.

We both love being in Nova Scotia and have settled really well into Halifax. It's a beautiful part of the world but we're trying to throw open all opportunities we have here. Any advice would be much appreciated
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laid off and looking for advice

Originally Posted by AyrLass
Myself and other half were laid off just over a week ago...we were both working for the same company Despite the financial uncertainty we're trying to see the opportunity to come out of all this.

We now have no ties to Halifax, NS and are weighing up the options we have. The job market here seems to be competitive at the best of times for young professionals, throw in the uncertainty of the economy and it's not looking like we'll be back in employment any time soon if we stay rooted here.

So, we're contemplating heading out West. It's still early days, but I just wondered if anyone out BC or Alberta way would have any advice about the job market there?

We both have good office experience. Other half has experience offshore, I have a background in International Marketing...but we're pretty open to any work opportunities.

We both love being in Nova Scotia and have settled really well into Halifax. It's a beautiful part of the world but we're trying to throw open all opportunities we have here. Any advice would be much appreciated
Job market is pretty much the same out west as anywhere else, not good. Lay offs happening all over.

Visit and network, you never know you may get lucky.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:09 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

How does that work with PNP I take it that you are not tied to the province as soon a you get PR?

Good luck finding work thats a rotten thing to happen.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You might find the cost of housing is a lot more there.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you got PR via the PNP programme, are you not tied to NS for a certain amount of time? Hope not, but best just to check as you don't want to give them any reason to cancel your PR!

Best of luck finding something else.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I know businesses need to make decisions with a hard head - but that was pretty cruel - to sack both earners from the same household I feel for you and hope something turns up very soon.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 3:26 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

What does your O/H do offshore? There are Oil and Gas opportunties out here in Newfoundland. (Not so many as last year but they are still around.)
Also a darn sight cheaper, propertywise, than out west!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

AyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really nice

Thanks for the messages of support. We're trying to find work in NS so hopefully the PNP thing won't be an issue - I'm not sure how that works but like you say is worth checking out before we get PR revoked. Ideally we would stay in NS, we both like it here.

Other half was a project manager offshore...has all the valid certs etc...will check out Newfoundland...good to know that there are still opportunities there and it certainly would be cheaper than going West if we can't get work in NS.