Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 questions from a just landed newbie

2 questions from a just landed newbie

Old May 25th 2012, 11:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 questions from a just landed newbie

Originally Posted by Oink
I know the sausages are a bit spendy but did you find GI market more expensive in general?
We looked for the things we buy often:

- peameal bacon, not offered, only streaky.
- bacon ends, didn't see any.
- seafood, more expensive at Granville Island, a shocker because Toronto's not by the sea. Even farmed products, such as catfish, were markedly more expensive in Vancouver. It was all a little cheaper in Seattle though not as cheap as in Toronto, nevermind New England or NS.
- cheese, sold in metric so much fumbling to convert prices but approximately twice as expensive in Vancouver as Toronto even if imported from France or CH
- otoh, lots of very good bakeries on Granville Island with sensible prices

We were advised that Granville Island is for the tourists but that's a fair criticism of the St. Lawrence Market too. Also that all dairy produce is expensive in BC due to a subsidy to farmers.

One big shopping advantage in Vancouver was that it was possible to buy wine on a holiday, the prospect of having to turn up for dinner empty handed was terrifying.
Old May 26th 2012, 12:06 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We looked for the things we buy often:

- peameal bacon, not offered, only streaky.
- bacon ends, didn't see any.
- seafood, more expensive at Granville Island, a shocker because Toronto's not by the sea. Even farmed products, such as catfish, were markedly more expensive in Vancouver. It was all a little cheaper in Seattle though not as cheap as in Toronto, nevermind New England or NS.
- cheese, sold in metric so much fumbling to convert prices but approximately twice as expensive in Vancouver as Toronto even if imported from France or CH
- otoh, lots of very good bakeries on Granville Island with sensible prices

We were advised that Granville Island is for the tourists but that's a fair criticism of the St. Lawrence Market too. Also that all dairy produce is expensive in BC due to a subsidy to farmers.

One big shopping advantage in Vancouver was that it was possible to buy wine on a holiday, the prospect of having to turn up for dinner empty handed was terrifying.
amazing the provincial differences, I loved GI and it was far cheaper than NS
Old May 26th 2012, 12:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
amazing the provincial differences, I loved GI and it was far cheaper than NS
For lobster!? Or how about crab legs, from Alaska, those were over $30/lb on GI.
Old May 26th 2012, 12:25 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

For lobster!? Or how about crab legs, from Alaska, those were over $30/lb on GI.
Or free for Dungeness. Had quite the cook out last night with lovely weather. Had to take a few extra passengers out with us and give them licenses so we could load up.

We buy most of our produce like meat, fish and vegetables from the market and get the packet and boxed stuff at the Safeways. I haven't noticed my bills to be that expensive though although I only buy cheese (Stilton) at Christmas to go with leftover turkey.

Last edited by Oink; May 26th 2012 at 12:30 am.
Old May 26th 2012, 12:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

Or free for Dungeness. Had quite the cook out last night with lovely weather. Had to take a few extra passengers out with us and give them licenses so we could load up.

We buy most of our produce like meat, fish and vegetables from the market and get the packet and boxed stuff at the Safeways. I haven't noticed my bills to be that expensive though although I only buy cheese (Stilton) at Christmas to go with leftover turkey.
It hurts us that we were recently in New Orleans; eating anywhere else seems a bit expensive and not that great. In Vancouver we went, perhaps like everyone else, to The Tea House, Joe's Diner and Vij's. How are those rated locally?
Old May 26th 2012, 1:07 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It hurts us that we were recently in New Orleans; eating anywhere else seems a bit expensive and not that great. In Vancouver we went, perhaps like everyone else, to The Tea House, Joe's Diner and Vij's. How are those rated locally?
The Tea House is considered to be okay but its the sort of place you take your mum on Mother's Day. Never eaten at Joe's and ViJ's is imo very over rated and they don't take reservations. Their little annex is not too bad and is just a few blocks up from me. When we go out for an Indian though we usually wander over to Maurya, which more typically Indian and is where I'm getting my tea sent over tonight.
Old May 26th 2012, 1:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

The Tea House is considered to be okay but its the sort of place you take your mum on Mother's Day.
Ha! Very good. Also the sort of place where you can have dinner for 12, not worry if it's a bit rowdy and take pictures with a good backdrop. It wasn't outrageously expensive so whoever picked that for the graduation dinner chose well.

Never eaten at Joe's
No more than ok in my view, breakfast is all about the quality of the potatoes and theirs were routine. Battery eggs, pallid with no height to them. Still, I don't know what else is on offer and that wasn't bad, just not great. It afforded a view of the Dover Arms, mentioned elsewhere on the board today, we weren't inspired to go in.

and ViJ's is imo very over rated and they don't take reservations. Their little annex is not too bad and is just a few blocks up from me.
Odd place. Ludicrously expensive. I suppose what you're paying for is the suggestion of India without having to deal with actual Indians in the kitchen and in the dining room. I didn't mind the food, we had meals akin to the stews you might find in Minnesota or Wisconsin and, in that light, they were nice enough, but I resented the price, the crammed tables and the feeling that only insufferable trendiness justified hordes of people, some in dinner suits(!) cramming into a place no smarter than our usual hole-in-the-wall.

My companion here just said it all "I've already forgotten what we had".
Old May 26th 2012, 1:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

For the OP. My of reference for Indian food is the the BBQ Hut, south side of Gerrard, just west of Coxwell. Looks a bit rough but isn't. Child friendly. Well worth a visit, if you're the sort of people who eat curry.
Old May 26th 2012, 1:42 am

Ha! Very good. Also the sort of place where you can have dinner for 12, not worry if it's a bit rowdy and take pictures with a good backdrop. It wasn't outrageously expensive so whoever picked that for the graduation dinner chose well.

No more than ok in my view, breakfast is all about the quality of the potatoes and theirs were routine. Battery eggs, pallid with no height to them. Still, I don't know what else is on offer and that wasn't bad, just not great. It afforded a view of the Dover Arms, mentioned elsewhere on the board today, we weren't inspired to go in.

Odd place. Ludicrously expensive. I suppose what you're paying for is the suggestion of India without having to deal with actual Indians in the kitchen and in the dining room. I didn't mind the food, we had meals akin to the stews you might find in Minnesota or Wisconsin and, in that light, they were nice enough, but I resented the price, the crammed tables and the feeling that only insufferable trendiness justified hordes of people, some in dinner suits(!) cramming into a place no smarter than our usual hole-in-the-wall.

My companion here just said it all "I've already forgotten what we had".
I completely agree with your assessment of the place. Its popularity makes me question the sanity of many Vancouverites. In actuality, the standard of Indian places in Vancouver is pretty poor. Best places are in Surrey but sod the drive just for that.
Old May 26th 2012, 2:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

I completely agree with your assessment of the place. Its popularity makes me question the sanity of many Vancouverites. In actuality, the standard of Indian places in Vancouver is pretty poor. Best places are in Surrey but sod the drive just for that.
There didn't seem to be a lot of restaurants at all. Granted there's not the population of Toronto and there's not much diversity in the population but the only lively streets we saw were in Gastown and Yaletown (which seemed entirely new and manufactured). My child told me she drinks in the Alibi Something in Gastown because there's nothing at all in Kits (note however that she loves Vancouver and plans to stay "I assumed I'd grow up and leave Canada, until I moved here").

I dunno, the setting's fabulous but Vancouver seems like a stay-at-home kinda place. We did better for food in Seattle. I wouldn't want to be young in Vancouver.
Old May 26th 2012, 2:13 am

There didn't seem to be a lot of restaurants at all. Granted there's not the population of Toronto and there's not much diversity in the population but the only lively streets we saw were in Gastown and Yaletown (which seemed entirely new and manufactured). My child told me she drinks in the Alibi Something in Gastown because there's nothing at all in Kits (note however that she loves Vancouver and plans to stay "I assumed I'd grow up and leave Canada, until I moved here").

I dunno, the setting's fabulous but Vancouver seems like a stay-at-home kinda place. We did better for food in Seattle. I wouldn't want to be young in Vancouver.

We've saying that for ages. Nice surroundings, it doesn't freeze or is not hot and humid but you need to make your entertainment as going out is generally a bit rubbish. Get a boat and/or skis.

Last edited by Oink; May 26th 2012 at 2:17 am.
Old May 26th 2012, 2:49 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We've saying that for ages. Nice surroundings, it doesn't freeze or is not hot and humid but you need to make your entertainment as going out is generally a bit rubbish. Get a boat and/or skis.
or an airplane
Old May 26th 2012, 3:22 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
or an airplane
Or a hot air balloon !
Old May 26th 2012, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lvh76
I realise that has made me sound almost Marie Antoinette-like. It is a great difference, I'm just not sure I can ferry a 1 and 3 yr old around various supermarkets. Having said that I'm checking out no frills tomorrow so that might become my choice supermarket.

Novocastrian, I loves a bit of Caerphilly but couldn't find any so I'm happy to forgo the cheese for now. Not booze though. Not ever.
Don't buy meat in No Frills it's absolutely shit.
Get staples from NoFrills or CostCo
Fruit and Veg from the wonderful markets on Queen St near where you live
The rest from LobLaws.

You're welcome.
Old May 26th 2012, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

Dbd, a life without curry is a sad one indeed. I think I went past it yesterday so will definitely give it a go.

Mike, thanks for the tips, I took your advice and went to the Marble Slab ice cream place. That place is amazing. I'm going to get so fat.

Going to Koreatown for lunch on Sun, anyone got any good recommendations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.