Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 car insurance?

2 car insurance?

Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of
Default 2 car insurance?

just as a point of interest, have most people found that here in AB adding a second car to a joint insurance policy makes very little difference to the premium paid?

some folks ive spoken to mentioned only $100 or so extra per year to add their second car, as both husband and wife's names were on both vehicles... both new/newer vehicles, both with both names on the registrations etc..

is that generally the case?

we are thinking of a second car, and just doing some initial research..
thanks
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2 car insurance?

We use a Western Financial Brokerage at High River (HI Alta). Most of our clients are insured by SGI (they have a decent rate and recognize UK no claims). When you insure another veh through SGI, you do get a percentage reduced on both policies and you get a further reduction if you also get house insurance through them. There are other factors which effect the price, such as whether the veh is going to be used to commute to work and deductables etc.
Hope this helps
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wallace

Hope this helps
sort of. we already get the home insurance discount, basically it made the home insurance free (or near enough) but as i say a few friends have said it only cost them $100 or so to add the extra car... i guess ill have to just call my broker.

we got our no claims etc honoured, no problems.. so we dont pay too much...
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

It's made little difference still paying around the same.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paradisefound
you mean the second car was basically free? if so great...
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:12 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paradisefound
I find this extremely difficult to believe.

I currently pay $1553 per year for two cars.

Vehicle 1: $637: $1,000,000 public liability, $500 deductible, collision or upset and $250 deductible, comprehensive.

Vehicle 2: $827: Same coverage as above.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:14 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I find this extremely difficult to believe.

I currently pay $1553 per year for two cars.

Vehicle 1: $637: $1,000,000 public liability, $500 deductible, collision or upset and $250 deductible, comprehensive.

Vehicle 2: $827: Same coverage as above.
Pretty much my experience:
Jeep Cherokee & Toyota Yaris both 2008 models
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
you mean the second car was basically free? if so great...
Let's be realistic here.

These are insurance companies you're dealing with.

When have they ever given something away free?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Let's be realistic here.

These are insurance companies you're dealing with.

When have they ever given something away free?
agreed, but as i say ive heard of quite a few people who's second car only added $100 or so for the whole year..
it was all to do with the policy already being in two names, so there was no more persons to cover for liability than before..
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Our two are sth like 1600 a year and 2000 a year - one for work and one for pleasure only. I'd be surprised if a second car only added a hundred a year to a policy. It didn't matter who the driver was on which vehicle for us, I'm less experienced and I've got the newer car - the premiums just reversed if we swapped so there was no benefit.