A wave from a new member

Old Aug 9th 2023, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

SoppyJo1606 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A wave from a new member

Hi there!
I have never done anything like this before but I thought I’d reach out to the expat community which had eluded me for the last 20 years in the Netherlands. I was so focused on learning the language and customs, bringing up two kids and Dutch school system, plus my own career that I forgot about my roots and where I fit in here.
Well, the kids are pretty much doing their own thing now (working, studying etc). So I would like to connect with other British expats here on this forum to share experiences.
Also, if I can help any expats in the Netherlands with any information or advice on life here, please drop me a line.
I work as a translator and copywriter (German, Dutch into English) .
Love to hear from you. Have a great Sunday S!

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 9th 2023 at 12:09 pm. Reason: Deleted the words that could be viewed as an advert
Old Aug 9th 2023, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A wave from a new member

Welcome to the (sub)forum. It's a bit quiet around here since circumstances stemmed the flow of new British expats, but there's still a few arriving and some hidden long timers around. You've been here a few years more than I have, and if you're a translator, miles ahead of me in language (I never really reached higher than level B, whether that's B1 or B2 depends on the amount of wine I drank)
Old Aug 10th 2023, 6:08 am
Just Joined

SoppyJo1606 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Red Wine Fairy!
I see now why it is so quiet. Brexit! Oh the joys!!! Do you have many British friends in NL or a mixed bunch? How are you finding living here? Are you sticking around or wanting to go back to UK at some point?
Old Aug 10th 2023, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again!

Oh no, I'm not going back. If I do, it will be with my tail between my legs; I don't feel any real love for the old country and how it's changed since I left. Visits are more than enough My plan is to wait it out until 65 and get dual nationality via optie. Then I'll be off to a different, dare I say, warmer country (although who knows by then if the warmer places of today will be subjected to desertification?). This is a great country to work in but I don't see myself growing old here. But all that is still far in the future, and life certainly doesn't care about anyone's plans.

I don't have any British friends here, like you, I'd been focused on settling the family early on, then restarting my career once they were more independent. My friends tend mainly to be 'other European' and I much prefer it this way because I find my life is more interesting with them in my life, and I don't feel the need to be part of a tribe based on the piece of land I was born on, if that doesn't sound too odd? It's not the same for everyone, I know - this is just how I personally feel. I get my 'fix' of British in this forum (''Take it outside'' could be any pub argument or family gathering )