Taxation, taxation, taxation

Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

flea ann is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taxation, taxation, taxation

Hello netherland expats

I've been check this site for the last couple of days but can't find the answer to my expat issue, so apologies if it has been answered here before...

I have been offered a job, which i applied for as a contractor, they have now said it would be a permanent position, paid in euros and taxed in Holland. The income tax system seems quite complicated and subject to various conditions, (not unlike blighty).

I am having problems working out what my net monthly income will be. It seems that I will be taxed 33% on the first 17,000 euros and 36% on the rest.

However, I have also been told I could get a 30% tax rebate as I am a skilled worker.

Are there any additional subtractions - ie, the equivalent to NI. What happens with health and dental care?

I had thought my rate of pay would be equivalent to that in the UK but it is almost 40% less due, the company tells me, to the reduced cost of living.

However, the forum on this site suggests otherwise.

Please help - in effect, what I am asking is, can a single 35 year old female live a good life on 32,000 euros p.a.

Thanks for the info, Flea
Old Sep 28th 2007, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

germike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taxation, taxation, taxation

Foreign workers, like yourself, get some tax benefits in NL. That's why i left my own country, they treat nationals worse than newcommers about the only place in the world i guess.

However back on topic : Assuming the 32k Euro is net, you can easily live on that in NL. The biggest problem in NL is finding a place to live, there are too little houses around in the rent sector driving the prices up. If you want to buy be prepared to pay insane prices (in the randstad) due to shortages and the fact that you can deduct the interest payments from your taxes, driving the prices even higher.

Assuming you can find a rented appartment for around 800-1200 you will still have more than enough left to live a comfortable live. If you can find work outside the randstad you be a lot better of, as the prices outside are a lot lower.

To compare : average NL wage before taxes (and that's the high taxes for locals) is around 30.000. This is the "40 something white male worker".

Another thing : cars are really really expensive in NL, there is 45,2% bpm AND 19% VAT.