Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Moving to Amsterdam. Will I have enough cash?

Moving to Amsterdam. Will I have enough cash?

Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

tea_c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Amsterdam. Will I have enough cash?

Hi guys,

I’m after a little bit of advice. I’m currently interviewing for a job based in Amsterdam . Although not a massive salary (28k Euros + bonus, not really sure what the bonus entails) it is quite a big step up from my UK salary (19k Euros) being a recent graduate.

I was trying to figure out how my income will be affected, what I can expect to have taken from my gross wage and what I will (roughly) be left with to pay for rent/bills/living etc. Is there anything other way of bulking out my income, tax rebates, 30% rule (which I’ve read about, but really don’t understand fully?)

I’m not coming to the Netherlands seeking to make a boat load of cash, it’s really for the experience of living and working abroad but I want to make sure that I can sustain a decent lifestyle and have enough Euros to do it.

Cheers
TC
Old Sep 28th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

brianc_li is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Will I have enough cash?

You won´t qualify for the 30% ruling as it isn´t a senior enough post. you have to be earning more than that (Around 45k I think) to qualify.

On that salary you´ll be earming 2.33 k per month before tax (bruto) so you´ll probably clear around 1.5k (netto) after the Dutch taxman has had his slice. That is not a lot of money in what is quite an expensive city but is do-able. Also, the experience of living/working overseas will almost certainly serve you well later in your career.

As for bulking out your income there are part time jobs around in bars, etc. You´d be better looking once here.