Expat friendly banks?

Old Sep 11th 2009, 8:23 am
Just Joined

msnau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat friendly banks?

Hello,

Can anyone recommend an Expat friendly banks in The Netherlands? I'm looking for a bank which provides services in English. Thanks.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

mishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nice
Default Re: Expat friendly banks?

ABN Amro Bank. They provide expat services in English, so all your letters and statements etc, are in English. You can also read their website in English too.

http://www.abnamro.nl/en/index.html
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

brianc_li is an unknown quantity at this point

Fully agree. AAB are streets ahead of the other banks when it comes to expats.

Make sure you opt for their internet banking. It is (mostly) available in English.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Rumpole is an unknown quantity at this point

I would fully agree with the previous comments. Also, our experience is that ABN-AMRO staff are very helpful in giving financial advice and (as is the case everywhere in the Netherlands) will be completely fluent in English.

Internet banking in the Netherlands seems streets ahead of the UK (at least comparing our experience with Lloyds-TSB). The system feels very secure (requiring a special widget that generates a keycode from your bank card and which can only be read if you enter the correct pin) and offers a wide range of services.

If you have spare cash that you want to invest then I can also recommend their investment services which can also be done online. Charges for buying/selling and managing mutual funds are relatively modest and there are a wide range of products on offer.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:35 am
Just Joined

msnau is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your input. ABN AMRO it is then.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - I just found this thread because I'm trying to get some information for my sister, who lives in the Netherlands. She has a mortgage with ABN Amro and is in HUGE difficulties because of the way they've treated her. She's never defaulted on a repayment, yet they've put a code on her and no other bank can offer re-financing. She stands to lose her house as she may be forced to re-sell it at a huge loss (about 100,000 Euros). She's finding it very hard to get help and information. Her bank account with ABN Amro included a policy where she could access legal aid. When they locked her bank account, they blocked access to legal aid. If it wasn't for the fact that she has an account at another bank, ABN Amro would grab all her wages, leaving her nothing to live on. Just be careful, everyone.