Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

NL debt traceable once returned to UK

NL debt traceable once returned to UK

Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

uk-rot2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NL debt traceable once returned to UK

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could advise me. A dutch health insurance firm is chasing me for payment for my health insurance from the period I arrived and the time it took for me to set it up. i.e. a couple of months gap before I realised I needed the insurance.

However, I am now leaving the Netherlands and dont really agree on paying money to a private company when I was never covered by them.

The main question is can this debt be traced back to me in the UK? also if I ever go on holiday back to this lovely country can I be stopped at customs and made to pay the money?

help is needed on this dilema.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

brianc_li is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NL debt traceable once returned to UK

I assume we're talking a few hundred euros here?

Whilst in theory the could chase it in the UK I very much doubt they will. It simply isn't worth it. In your shoes I'd write to them saying that you dispute the invoice and do not intend to pay it. If they wish to take the matter forward my address in the UK is........ They might send the odd snotty letter but I very much doubt they'd do anything else.

As it is a debt to a private company, rather than a parking fine or whatever, they won't be looking for it if you ever come back into the country.