Living in NL, working back in UK

Old Dec 31st 2023, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Mawitoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in NL, working back in UK

Hello.
I am a Brit, with a British passport, living in the Netherlands looking at working in the UK. I had my my uk bank account closed just before Brexit.

Most of the jobs in looking at say Remote working in UK ONLY.
Obviously I can remote work from anywhere.

I no longer have a UK bank account, so my question is, how do
I get paid using Bacs? I would need a sort code I would think, and I can't get one of those because I live in EU.

Any help would be great.

Happy new year
M
Old Dec 31st 2023, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in NL, working back in UK

Look at WISE.
Old Dec 31st 2023, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

To get paid internationally, you need an IBAN and BICS/Swift code and your Dutch, British or any other bank account will have this: if you have online banking you will find it there although it's usually on your debit card here (NLXX {4 letters identifying bank name] followed by numbers.

Your issue is that it's incredibly difficult to work for a UK company because of the tax implications - the UK company would have to deal with the Belastingdienst and almost no employer wants to fall foul of them due to ignorance of Dutch taxes - it's far far easier for them to hire someone who is already tax resident in the UK (and dealing with HMRC), which you probably aren't if you live in NL. Unless you already have a UK Ltd company (and had it for at least 12 months before moving to NL)? in which case you would need a good international accountant.

All your British passport is good for is if you intend to move back there.
Old Dec 31st 2023, 7:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mawitoo
.... Most of the jobs in looking at say Remote working in UK ONLY.
Obviously I can remote work from anywhere. ...

Is there a typo or missing word(s)?

Those two statements appear to be contradictory, unless you're talking about the minority of jobs that do not say "remote working in the UK only".

The problem you may face, that has been discussed many times in the US, Canada, and Spain forums, and occasionally in other forums, regarding working in one country and living, working and/or being paid in another country. The primary problem is that being on the payroll (in the UK) necessarily means that British income tax and NI will be deducted by default, and that you will have to make your own arrangements to pay income tax and social charges in your country of work/ residence.

There are ways to solve the problems of income tax and NI/ social charges, most of which are expensive and time consuming involving reclaiming and paying your own taxes, but by far the easiest is to work as a contractor, billing your time to your "employer", rather than being an employee on the payroll. Then you'd be paid gross and (just) pay income tax and social charges where you are living and working. Obviously being paid as a contractor requires the willingness of your "employer" to agree to such an arrangement, and not all will agree.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 31st 2023 at 8:14 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2023, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are residing in NL and want to work for a company or companies outside NL, it's easiest to do as a self employed person or freelancer.
I would not advise just working for one client outside NL as a regular employee, it gets too messy.
You will be taxed in NL of course on your income and depending on your annual turnover you will also have to apply for a VAT number if required.
I don't know what field you are in and whether it is IT or ADMIN for example or something else. The more information you can provide, the more useful tips you will receive here.

One thing is for sure, Internet actually works properly in NL and is technically in good shape. It is great for remote working, but have you done this kind of work before?
Fibre connections are available just about everywhere now.
Old Dec 31st 2023, 8:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014
If you are residing in NL and want to work for a company or companies outside NL, it's easiest to do as a self employed person or freelancer.
I would not advise just working for one client outside NL as a regular employee, it gets too messy. .....
We're on the same page there!
Old Jan 14th 2024, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by calman014
I would not advise just working for one client outside NL as a regular employee, it gets too messy.
You will be taxed in NL of course on your income and depending on your annual turnover you will also have to apply for a VAT number if required.
I don't know what field you are in and whether it is IT or ADMIN for example or something else. The more information you can provide, the more useful tips you will receive here.

One thing is for sure, Internet actually works properly in NL and is technically in good shape. It is great for remote working, but have you done this kind of work before?
Fibre connections are available just about everywhere now.
Thanks that's great advice. I have gotten further advice and have set up as a sole trader with my first contract to start in the UK in April. Thanks for putting me on the right track with your advice. Very much appreciated 👍
Old Jan 14th 2024, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Is there a typo or missing word(s)?

Those two statements appear to be contradictory, unless you're talking about the minority of jobs that do not say "remote working in the UK only".
Hello, It's a minority job not a contradictory statement.
Thanks for your contribution, gratefully received
Old Jan 15th 2024, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Now that you have done that it's important to mention that NL has strict very laws regarding being self employed (zelfstandig/ ZZP'er/ Eenmanszaak).
This is mainly because some business exploited this in order to avoid paying social tariffs as employer in the past.
You will need to have several other clients in order to demonstrate that you are not employed solely by one client.
This will of course depend on your field of work and experience but the more the merrier in this case.
There is no reason why you can't work in several fields of business, as long as you make sure these are reflected on your registration with the KvK (Chamber of Commerce).
There is also a trick you can use by also calling yourself a "Groothandel" which is a general business term and will cover just about anything from car parts to window cleaning.
KvK can offer limited advice on those things.

If you want help with remote working strategy or problems etc. you can always post in "The Lab" section of the forum.

Last edited by calman014; Jan 15th 2024 at 8:48 am.