Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

New PT business, maternity and general panic (NL)

New PT business, maternity and general panic (NL)

Old Feb 1st 2024, 8:28 am
Just Joined

LoreleiLee. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New PT business, maternity and general panic (NL)

Based in the Netherlands. Article 50. 1.5 years left until permanent residency.

​​My mind is all over the place in panic about what the "right/smartest choice is", so I'll post in bullet points cos I doubt I can make a full sentence or will end up rambling like I already have lol.

-i have wanted to make an online ADHD coaching business since my diagnosis 1.5 years ago. This hasn't wavered at all, it's a when, not an if. If anything it's only gotten stronger.
-i need an income though. I will be employed in a phase A contract. Hoping to do part time solo proprietor (if my employer allows).

The problem is, idk when is smart to do this. I feel I need to do it asap.
-i want to have a baby soon. I'm 31, my mum started her menopause at 33, and my gran at 35, it's EARLY in my family. Losing out on that opportunity is terrifying to me, and living with that regret for the rest of my life.
-worried that if I get pregnant whilst employed, my contract will naturally end and won't be renewed, and I won't be eligible for maternity via them.
-i really don't want to claim benefits because I don't yet have a permanent contract. I am 1.5 years away. And I'd also regret it if I got rejected for permanent residency (artical 50/brexit withdrawal agreement) because my job ended and I had to claim unemployment to get maternity.
I know there is an option for maternity if you are self employed and have 1225 hours (or less, but pay will be significantly less). Which is kinda why I want to get started asap. Because realistically anything could happen in that time. It could go amazing, or be awful, but at least I'd have SOMETHING to fall back on and be halfway to established rather than starting from full scratch in a blind panic.
-realistically it is possible i won't have clients for a long time. In which case, I could have no income. But my expenses will be very very minimal, so I won't be in a deficit.

Please help and be nice to me lol I'm feeling very overwhelmed. I feel like it is smarter to register now and get started because you can't predict the future, and I think that's why I'm in such a state
Please give me your guidance and wisdom and sorry for the lengthy post lol
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New PT business, maternity and general panic (NL)

I will give you my personal opinion:

1. Concentrate on your permanent residency and taking a proper full time job.

2. If you are worried about having a baby, or fertility, go speak to an expert regardless of your Mum's or your Gran's circumstances.
That's the only place you will get good advice.

3. Starting any kind of business is a gamble, especially in NL. Build a website on a hobby basis and develop it from there. Hosting and domains are relatively cheap
in NL. Only then will you have any idea if it will be good enough to provide an income. Regarding ADHD, you need to research what resources are already
available in NL (which from my own experience are relatively extensive) and see if you have a target audience OUTSIDE of social media.