Wikiposts

young mum

Old May 11th 2006, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: young mum

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
This is what I was trying to say - you don`t have to come from a council estate to have a kid on drink, drugs pregnant etc. However a lot of it comes down to parenting and outside influences. I used to work in the Benefits Agency and you knew that a lot of these kids would be our customers in a few years time, at the same time we also saw some who were trying bloody hard to turn their lives around and give their kids a better chance in life. Is it a case of society in general deteriorating or were we just not so aware of the problems??

There will always be those that just conform to the ways that they are familiar with and carry on without any thought to others and those that see the light so to speak.

For some kids, they see their parents sat on the backsides all day getting handouts left right and centre and think " I can do that " They sit their in their houses with all the mod cons and more spending money than I have ever had, even when both of us were working, and think this is too easy.

Then there is the other set of kids that think, where is the self pride in that and go and get off their butts and make themsleves a career and a life. Luckily I'm one of the latter ones.

If anything I blame the government for making it too easy to not have more pride. It pays to be on the social with 6 kids. I'm not saying they should scrap welfare totally, but they should make it a lot more difficult for people to just get hand outs.

I baby sat for a woman with six kids, the oldest was 7, she had one a year so that their benefit would go up. Last I heard she had 9 kids :scared: She only gave up having them, because she had to have "the op" Her hubby worked on the side for £30 a day and they got nearly £500 a week in benefits. This was 20 years ago, we don't even get that now and my hubby has a good job.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I'm probably going to upset a few people here, but here goes anyway.

Speaking from experience it's not always the mothers fault. I agree that 11 is way too young to be a mum, and that this girl should not be able to go out drinking. But parents don't always know what their kids are up to, you can't watch them 24/7.

Some of the things I did at 12 / 13 would have sent my Mum and Dad mental had they known about them, but they didn't know and only found out when I told them quite a few years later.

Also this "council house" mentality theory doesn't always apply. True I grew up on a council estate with a really bad reputation, but my Mum wasn't a bad influence on me and my Dad was actually very strict. I had a 12 o'clock curfew when I was 19 and actually out earning a living!

As some of you already know I was 15 when my son was born, this doesn't make me a slapper. I was in a very long standing relationship with his Dad and we both wanted to have him.

It was hard work, but we raised our son in a responsible manner and he is now a very well rounded, sensible young man with a brilliant future ahead of him. Just because I was young when he was born, doesn't mean that he was going to go out and get the first girl he met pregnant.

So while I don't necessarily agree on an 11 year old getting pregnant, I don't think anyone should judge this girl or her mother as we only know the "facts" that the paper states. Which we all know are not the actual facts at all and just the Sun's way of selling papers.
Excellent post - however, I fear you are the exception rather than the norm these days.

Also I think council housing is very different from years ago. My Nana had 3 kids in 3 years from the age of 21 and lived in a council house. My Grandfather was a Legal Clerk and Captain of the local golf-club and exceptionally highly thought of. Their 3 children all married (and are all still happily married) so they had pretty tough morals/ethics drummed into them.

IMHO it's just getting worse and will continue to do so.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:51 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

You are not trying to teach a Behaviourist about Pavlov are you?

I see plenty of conditioned responses on these threads every day.

Maybe 'knee jerk' is what more people will understand

G
Old May 11th 2006, 8:52 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

There will always be those that just conform to the ways that they are familiar with and carry on without any thought to others and those that see the light so to speak.

For some kids, they see their parents sat on the backsides all day getting handouts left right and centre and think " I can do that " They sit their in their houses with all the mod cons and more spending money than I have ever had, even when both of us were working, and think this is too easy.

Then there is the other set of kids that think, where is the self pride in that and go and get off their butts and make themsleves a career and a life. Luckily I'm one of the latter ones.

If anything I blame the government for making it too easy to not have more pride. It pays to be on the social with 6 kids. I'm not saying they should scrap welfare totally, but they should make it a lot more difficult for people to just get hand outs.

I baby sat for a woman with six kids, the oldest was 7, she had one a year so that their benefit would go up. Last I heard she had 9 kids :scared: She only gave up having them, because she had to have "the op" Her hubby worked on the side for £30 a day and they got nearly £500 a week in benefits. This was 20 years ago, we don't even get that now and my hubby has a good job.
There is no government brave enough to take on the real reforms the welfare system needs - it would be too emotive. It`s easier just to bolster the system, make the law complicated and make redundant all the Benefits Agency staff. We would send out letters to women saying that as their youngest child had turned (16/17 I think it was??) you can no longer claim Income Support and should get along to your Job Centre - quite often we`d get a letter/sick cert back saying they were either pregnant or had stress/depression and couldn`t look for work so had to carry on claiming Income Support.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
The sad thing is that a few years down the road will her child be in a similar position?? I think it would be highly likely.
Kids don`t seem to have a proper childhood anymore, people seem to have lost the ability to parent, with basic life skills and ethics not being known or being ignored. I find it interesting that the paper mentioned the fact that they live in a council house in an age where you can have wealthy parents with kids on drugs and alcohol and in trouble with the law. Im not a perfect parent by any means - it`s a constant learning process for both the parent and the kid but I do wonder if parents nowadays are too wrapped up in their own needs to pay proper attention to their kids.
I would agree with you. When my dad came out of the army, we lived in a council house as did all my mum and dad's family. We were brought up with values and we fought so hard against the predudice of being in a council estate. Admittedly it was a nice area with very little crime. But those in the private houses did look down on us.
We had a 14 year old in our village fall pregnant in the 80's it scandalised our village, so much that the family moved away. This girl went to a private school and her father was the local vicar. So it could happen to any one. But parents ultimatly are responsible for what their children get up to. I always think if you start early with teaching disapline, values and repect and knowing right from wrong, then children will be on the right path. It is very hard in todays society to keep children on the right path.
I recently had a visit from social services as some nasty person had over heard a conversation, i was having .She reported me to the school saying i was being cruel to my children (as if) the teacher reported this so called incident straight to social services. She thought me being on my own with 3 boys must make it true. What a shock i got having them turn up on my door.
All i had said in a tongue in cheek conversation was if my little one gets out of bed once more tonight i will put him in the shed. the person i was talking to knew i was kidding.
Society so easily jumps to conclusiions.But in this case something is definatly wrong when children are having babies.
Mandy
Old May 11th 2006, 9:03 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Also this "council house" mentality theory doesn't always apply. True I grew up on a council estate with a really bad reputation, but my Mum wasn't a bad influence on me and my Dad was actually very strict. I had a 12 o'clock curfew when I was 19 and actually out earning a living!
Very true Wendy. I grew up in Wester Hailes which is one of the roughest parts of Edinburgh. My parents didn't have 2 pennies to rub together (went to Hamilton :scared: for their honeymoon). My parents worked hard and instilled high values in all 3 of us kids and we've all gone on to be decent adults living successful, happy lives. On the other hand, we had next door neighbours who could only be described as scum.

I also know of 2 girls who went to posh all girls schools who were pregnant at 14!!

Sorry if I was judgemental in my post, I know there's always two sides. I just found it all so sad. This girl should be having fun, not sleepless nights.

hugs

Gill
Old May 11th 2006, 9:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

"It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor wot gets the blame
It's the rich wot get's the pleasure
Ain't it all a F£$%ing shame".

Now sing along everyone.

G
Old May 11th 2006, 9:06 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
This girl should be having fun, not sleepless nights.

hugs

Gill
and so say all of us!!!
Old May 11th 2006, 9:12 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robos
and so say all of us!!!
it would seem her fun is the cause of the sleepless nights
Old May 11th 2006, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
Very true Wendy. I grew up in Wester Hailes which is one of the roughest parts of Edinburgh. My parents didn't have 2 pennies to rub together (went to Hamilton :scared: for their honeymoon). My parents worked hard and instilled high values in all 3 of us kids and we've all gone on to be decent adults living successful, happy lives. On the other hand, we had next door neighbours who could only be described as scum.

I also know of 2 girls who went to posh all girls schools who were pregnant at 14!!

Sorry if I was judgemental in my post, I know there's always two sides. I just found it all so sad. This girl should be having fun, not sleepless nights.

hugs

Gill

Yes, she should be having fun. I totally agree. She is probably going to get quite a shock. At least I can honestly say that I knew what I was getting into and was quite prepared for it. I also had a very good boyfriend who was there for me and a wonderful Mum who supported me through it all.

When I got sent to my "special" school there were 10 other girls there, ranging in age from 12 to 16, all pregnant or new mums.

One girl was a doctors daughter aged 14, another was from another estate aged 15. There was also one that was from somewhere in between the two who was 14 and on her 2nd child :scared:
Old May 11th 2006, 9:41 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: young mum

I have got SS involved with my family, i begged them to help me...my 13 year old is rebelling and having 'issues' relating to her real dad...when shes good she is wonderful and very sensible, when she flips she is pure venom...we have struggled to keep her in control hence begging social for help
...Social services have told us to respect her space, dont ground her for more than a day at a time and only take her tv for 1 day at a time etc.....she ran off at the weekend...(just met up with some real undesirables on other side of town) decided to get pissed as a fart in a park with 10+ lads and 3 other girls...we believe she placed herself in so much danger and broke almost every rule we have that she should be grounded (indefinately in my opinion), the SW said LET HER CHOSE HER PUNISHMENT!!! shes opted for a weeks washing up...
needless to say weve told SS to go away!!!
when you do have a 'problem' child there isnt any sensible support, if we wernt so firm in standing our ground with our house rules i dread to think where we would be at now...prob on way to being a granny...

Yes, she should be having fun. I totally agree. She is probably going to get quite a shock. At least I can honestly say that I knew what I was getting into and was quite prepared for it. I also had a very good boyfriend who was there for me and a wonderful Mum who supported me through it all.

When I got sent to my "special" school there were 10 other girls there, ranging in age from 12 to 16, all pregnant or new mums.

One girl was a doctors daughter aged 14, another was from another estate aged 15. There was also one that was from somewhere in between the two who was 14 and on her 2nd child :scared:
Old May 11th 2006, 9:46 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
You are not trying to teach a Behaviourist about Pavlov are you?

I see plenty of conditioned responses on these threads every day.

Maybe 'knee jerk' is what more people will understand

G
Old May 11th 2006, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by katsmajic
I have got SS involved with my family, i begged them to help me...my 13 year old is rebelling and having 'issues' relating to her real dad...when shes good she is wonderful and very sensible, when she flips she is pure venom...we have struggled to keep her in control hence begging social for help
...Social services have told us to respect her space, dont ground her for more than a day at a time and only take her tv for 1 day at a time etc.....she ran off at the weekend...(just met up with some real undesirables on other side of town) decided to get pissed as a fart in a park with 10+ lads and 3 other girls...we believe she placed herself in so much danger and broke almost every rule we have that she should be grounded (indefinately in my opinion), the SW said LET HER CHOSE HER PUNISHMENT!!! shes opted for a weeks washing up...
needless to say weve told SS to go away!!!
when you do have a 'problem' child there isnt any sensible support, if we wernt so firm in standing our ground with our house rules i dread to think where we would be at now...prob on way to being a granny...

It's one of them dilemma's, do you come down hard on her and hope that she doesn't rebel or do you give her space and hope she stays safe.

Neither way is right or wrong. You need to find a balance of the two.

I can sympathise with you, as I am a parent and understand your concerns. I can also sympathise with your daughter, cos I've been in her shoes as well.

SS are all well and good, but they tend to look for text book answers and some of the time there isn't one. What I think you need to do is sit down with her and talk to her like an adult. You may not think of her as one, but in her head she thinks she knows it all. I was just the same and if someone told me something was black, I'd have said is was white.

If she can't talk to you then see if there is someone else she feels she can speak to. Sometimes it's easier to talk to someone who is detached from the situation.

If she thinks that you trust her to be mature, she is more likely to be open with you and not feel the need to go off on one. Also when she choses her punishment, don't just let her pick anything give her two or three options. That way YOU are in control, but you are giving her a choice.

She needs to resolve her issues with her dad and you should make him take responsibility for her feeling like she does.
Old May 11th 2006, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

I took offence at the comment Vash made really.

I was pointing out that sometimes, we are not all a waste of space and that just because we grew up on a council estate, with little money, had kids early etc etc, doesn't mean that we are a waste of space. I am extremely proud of both myself and my son.

I have never had a penny of welfare money, I have worked since leaving school or my husband has earned our wages while I had time out with my youngest.

So Jan I wasn't really aiming it at you, but to those that think they are so much more superior than me.

Sorry Vash, I like you and quite often agree with you, but that comment has really upset me.

well said!

I too come from a single parent family (half sister same mum different father) I don't even know who my dad is. Council estate, pregnant at 19 (too young) worked since leaving school. Educated myself late in life with a BA hons and a Post Grad - you can't always stereotype - but I think you can generalise.

It is hard to break the mould - sometimes it becomes a vicous circle. I think only the lucky ones manage to break the circle. I am one of the lucky ones.

An 11 year old, pregnant, smoking and drinking - is a sign of the times. I blame the parents to an extent - they should have protected her more - but unless we know the family concerned , we do not know how hard they tried to 'keep an eye' on her.

I do think it is so sad and I really feel sorry for the girl - she is still a child, even at 13,14,15 and upward it is too young to have children.
Old May 11th 2006, 10:25 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Did you guys not hear of the 11 year old who gave birth to a baby boy thhis week. She we nt to hospital complaiining of stomach pains and started to give birth whilst sat on the toilet.

The worst thing about this for me was that a 37 year old man had been arrested following the birth. A 15 year old and an 11 year old while totally abhorrent is within the realms of normality age wise, but 37 is just so awful I can't contemplate it. My OH said "this doesn't happen in mky world I can't bear to think about it"

We have a daughter of 10 and to think that someone could do that to someone of her age is mystifying.

Lock him up, castrate him and throw away the key.

Shirley x
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4757447.stm

This was one link to the story you mention, Shirley. Says the Child Abuse team are involved.

So sad...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.