Are you a snob?

Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:12 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are you a snob?

Originally Posted by Hutch
Both?
Just a guess on my part given everything else you were telling us and all the other stuff we already knew.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:39 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Who said I watched it? I'd rather lop off a limb with plastic cuttlery ...
I merely assumed you knew what you were talking about. Forgive me.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:57 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
I merely assumed you knew what you were talking about. Forgive me.
I will go to my grave happy in the knowledge that I know less about Eastenders than the average British migrant does about existing without Tescos.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:00 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

I will go to my grave happy in the knowledge that I know less about Eastenders than the average British migrant does about existing without Tescos.
Well, there's one fewer burden on my soul.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

The average British migrant knows masses about exisiting without Tescos.

Getting ripped-off every time they visit Coles and Woolworths or trekking from shop to shop in that quaint old Aussie way reminds them of Tescos constantly.

Does that mean you're pretty clued up about the goings on at Albert Square?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered to myself, what would an outsider make of it all.

Just my two cents.

A bit late - my 2 cents - on the 'Little Englander' phenomenon: no names.

I would think many people would be amused. I long suspected there was this (rather stereotypical) group of a particular type of British men and women in Australia and never met any my first year. So you can imagine my amusement (and frankly horror) when I found them alive and well on this site. I’ve never met them anywhere else so I’ve wondered if they're forced to keep their thoughts to themselves and skulk from lamppost to lamppost, meeting up in garages and sheds like a secret society, muttering all the while.

Personally, I can’t work out why some of these people fail to widen their socio-economic net and meet up with those with whom (both Australian and British) they apparently have more in common – maybe they get the face they deserve.

They are so insecure of their lot in life they cling to their respectability and patronage of Sainsbury and M&S as evidence of their station in life – and even then they are barely hanging on. They are terrified of the ‘rough’ (if respectable) working class, (or the more colourful Australian!) and resent the indignity of finding that there are people at home in many more situations than themselves who are both further up or down their view of the world. To quote Vanessa, if a snob is someone who thinks they are better than they are then these are the people who do it better than any other.

I certainly meet people who I think are limited intellectually and culturally but that is no different to anywhere else in the world. But smart, savvy, interesting people, and I have found any number of Brits and Australians that fall under this category, get my vote.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Doesn't matter how Hutch says it, its just another of his usual digs at anybody who has taken their head out of their arse long enough to be able to point out that certain things in Oz need a bit of work on them.

If I say the Princes Highway is a death trap, then I am a "whinging Pom". If every bugger else who uses that highway says its a death trap, then they are "concerned citizens".

If one of the, so called, Little Englanders says "Woolworths is shite" then that obviously translates to "I can't live without Tesco's". If one of the newly formed Little Australians says "Woolworths is shite" that of course means something very different.... I'm not sure what that difference is but it seems to mean "I'm a real smart arse and have discovered farmers markets"

Its about perception.... and my perception is that Hutch and his ilk are the true snobs, as he comes across as being so full of himself about finding 'paradise', something he thinks the rest of us are too stupid achieve.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread has to be the biggest bunch of bollx .. talk about ego-city on both sides..

Chill out! You're in Australia... go and have a surf or something.. life is short my friends!

Em x
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:12 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Doesn't matter how Hutch says it, its just another of his usual digs at anybody who has taken their head out of their arse long enough to be able to point out that certain things in Oz need a bit of work on them.
Nope - that's not fair. I made this post because there are certain people on this forum who are negative in every single post they make. It does not matter what is being talked about or who is asking - they always respond with some glib negative throwaway line. And it all gets old, very quickly.

I started this thread because I was struck how the same flock of circling vultures descend on every single thread, with their negative spin. And you know what, that was fine when there was a bit of balance, but many of the regular posters on this forum who used to respond with the other side of the coin, have moved on to pastures new.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Its about perception.... and my perception is that Hutch and his ilk are the true snobs, as he comes across as being so full of himself about finding 'paradise', something he thinks the rest of us are too stupid achieve.
God you're so full of it. I never allude to paradise and I sure as shit never call someone stupid for it. You want a dose of reality? We're so skint that we've had to go on a three month mortgage holiday with the bank because we were facing foreclosure. We came within a few days of just handing the keys back to the bank. My wife's business, which kept us afloat for so long, has suffered enormously from the downturn, as most of her clients are in the UK and the US and we're having trouble paying the water bill, let alone the mortgage payment. The only reason we're still eating okay is because my start-up computer repair business ticks over. That's life mate. Some of us just get on with it as best we can, and some of spend our days playing the blame game.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:23 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Nope - that's not fair. I made this post because there are certain people on this forum who are negative in every single post they make. It does not matter what is being talked about or who is asking - they always respond with some glib negative throwaway line. And it all gets old, very quickly.

I started this thread because I was struck how the same flock of circling vultures descend on every single thread, with their negative spin. And you know what, that was fine when there was a bit of balance, but many of the regular posters on this forum who used to respond with the other side of the coin, have moved on to pastures new.

God you're so full of it. I never allude to paradise and I sure as shit never call someone stupid for it. You want a dose of reality? We're so skint that we've had to go on a three month mortgage holiday with the bank because we were facing foreclosure. We came within a few days of just handing the keys back to the bank. My wife's business, which kept us afloat for so long, has suffered enormously from the downturn, as most of her clients are in the UK and the US and we're having trouble paying the water bill, let alone the mortgage payment. The only reason we're still eating okay is because my start-up computer repair business ticks over. That's life mate. Some of us just get on with it as best we can, and some of spend our days playing the blame game.
Sorry to hear this Hutch love, I really hope 2009 picks up for you.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Good points. I love the bush,sunshine beach,wine and Aussie pals
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

God you're so full of it. I never allude to paradise and I sure as shit never call someone stupid for it.
Don't give me that crap. You, and the rest of your team, didn't get the nickname Godzoners for nothing. You were, without fail, aggressive to anybody who didn't profess undying love for Australia and its way of life. You (the group you) set the tone for how this board progressed and how it became factional.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emelems
This thread has to be the biggest bunch of bollx .. talk about ego-city on both sides..

Chill out! You're in Australia... go and have a surf or something.. life is short my friends!

Em x
I think the correct term is "keyboard warriors".
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I think the correct term is "keyboard warriors".
Nice one! I'm outta this post. Too many student politicians
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Hutch, for what it is worth;

Some of what you post I agree with
Some of what you post I really don't agree with
Sometimes the words you use grate on me, especially swearing
Sometimes the words you use I find funny
I think you have a lot of knowledge to help people, be it techy related or about life in Oz.....including the good, bad and ugly.

BUT, for now, my best advice is to forget this place and concentrate of keeping the barbarians from the gate/wolves from the door.

When we were going through emotional turmoil deciding whether to leave the UK for Oz and then again whether to leave Oz for the UK the bloody 1st priority I had was the family well being, job security and everyone being happy.

So, that's it from me. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.